Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any help? 92 bike firing on only one cylinder, checked spark plugs, swapped them, same issue. Changed coils, same thing. Swapped connectors on the coils and the spark changed to the other side. What's causing this?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Good troubleshooting. I would check the wiring harness first and the connector for corrosion or breaks or shorts. Just follow it back to where it goes. That would be my first and simplest explanation. I figure if it was something like the ECU it would be both cylinders.

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,363 Posts
Any help? 92 bike firing on only one cylinder, checked spark plugs, swapped them, same issue. Changed coils, same thing. Swapped connectors on the coils and the spark changed to the other side. What's causing this?
Sounds like either the ignition pick-up or the ignition module on that dead cylinder isn't working correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like either the ignition pick-up or the ignition module on that dead cylinder isn't working correctly.
Nope, swapped those out too. Stuck on same cylinder.

Doesn't appear to have breaks or shorts.

Bike was fine, sunday fired it up, was running on one cylinder. Swapped, spark plug on cylinder and it was fine. Finished at friends place, started bike, one cylinder. Swapped spark plugs, ran fine. Today, same things, swapped spark plugs, nothing works, no spark.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
I had a similar problem in my 93, but I never checked the electricals. sounds like you have a different problem, but I will relate mine anyway. Seems the front carb mount had loosened which ended up as an air leak. Ruined a spark plug, but I tightened the mount and the problem went away forever. Just a hint at other problems though this may not be helpful at all.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Ummmmm could be a number of things? Pickup, ignition modules, coil, plug lead, plug cap.

Process of elimination... used the above diagram to troubleshoot a coil problem with a friends SS vert pot not firing - by swapping the connectors into the modules and coils it swapped cylinders, meaning the problem was either a module or a coil?

Check for any frayed/burnt/damaged wires, its usually something simple... :)

I would go with the coil connector block - check all wires ok, also that the pins havnt pulled out the back of the block. Had this happen once with my starter solenoid block, v.embarrasing.com.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried swapping caps, leads etc. Coils both fine, same as modules, only swapped cylinders when I swapped the wiring to coils. Previous owner suggested the sensor on fly wheel?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Tried swapping caps, leads etc. Coils both fine, same as modules, only swapped cylinders when I swapped the wiring to coils. Previous owner suggested the sensor on fly wheel?
Quite possible! The pickups tend to hold out, you can get issues with the feed wires from them up to the electrics? Pull the alt.cover off and check for continuity from the pickup upwards ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quite possible! The pickups tend to hold out, you can get issues with the feed wires from them up to the electrics? Pull the alt.cover off and check for continuity from the pickup upwards ;)
No bother, being collected by garage. Beyond my expertise. Thanks anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts