Hi. I'm new to the board, but my fascination with Ducatis has been around for a while. I was wondering about the 1999+ 750ss/800ss models. I'm looking for a bike mostly for the street (e.g., commuting, 200+ mile trips into the mountains, etc.). Might do a few track days/track schools, but they would be pretty limited in number. I won't be doing much two-up riding either.
I'm on my second bike, an FZR600, and have several thousand miles under my belt (not a newbie, but not an expert either). I don't need the latest technology, evidenced by the FZR, or the power of a liter bike. I would like something that can carve canyons but still handle in town traffic (and I would prefer that it be a Ducati).
Here are some of my questions:
1. Are the clutches as stiff as some say? Is the slow speed u-turn radius reasonable (for a sport bike)? How do these bikes "carry their weight" at slow speeds? Just trying to gauge metro area/traffic riding.
2. How comfortable are these bikes? My current bike is no sport tourer (in fact, it's a pretty aggressive position), but I can handle 200+ miles a day on it by using my lower body to reduce the weight on my wrists. But that bike is sort of my bottom line comfort-wise. I couldn't ride a bike that's less
comfortable than the FZR. And I ain't getting younger.
3. I read on www.motorcycle.com
that "countersteering is almost counter-productive" on the 750ss, that you have to body steer it through the twisties. Is that really true? And if so, is that just for the 750ss, or does the 800ss steer that way, too? My current ride will countersteer with ease in the twisties (without having to body steer), and I'd hate to go to something that takes a lot more effort.
4. Is the power difference between the 750ss and 800ss that significant (is it worth ponying up for a later model 800ss)? I know that I'm going to lose a bit of hp but probably gain some torque by giving up the FZR for one of these. I don't need to go faster in a straight line, but I don't want to go substantially slower. (I know that I could look at the 900ss/1000ss, but I'd rather have the lighter 750ss/800ss).
5. How is the seat height of these two models for someone 5'6"-5'7"?
That's probably longer than it needed to be. Sorry about that. Anyway, if anyone could put in their two cents, that would be great.
Thanks in advance.