Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Priced up 7500k service at 2 dealers within 30miles ove each other 1 was £210 plus vat the other £480 plus vat which one is right ?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Priced up 7500k service at 2 dealers within 30miles ove each other 1 was £210 plus vat the other £480 plus vat which one is right ?
Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
You have to call them both again and find out what is wrong. One probably just misquoted you. Its a prescribed service. They would both be doing the exact same things, so the costs should be similar. Unfortunately £210 is too low, unless the guy REALLY needs the business. $1000usd is the lowest of 4 dealerships I checked in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
$1000usd is the lowest of 4 dealerships I checked in Los Angeles.
I thought it was like $700 for the 7k for the check and 1200 for the full service adjust at 15k. Maybe my numbers are off but that's what I thought I was quoted. At 5k now so ill find out quickly.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yep, around $1000. Mostly labor, belt changes if you over 2 years, may need some valve shims.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have got a 7500 miles services scheduled. I will let you know...

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Valve adjustment service cost will depend on the number of valves that need adjusting and the shop's labor rate...my last valve adjustment service at 22.5K miles took 11.5 hours, this included an oil change and various inspections, etc. (check your service manual for the full monty)...my last belt replacement took 2 hrs...total for the two services was about $1200...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just picked up my SFS. 12000 km services done: 660 Euro
Charged me 7 hours of labour.
The invoice sais that they changed oil filter: still the same on on the bike...

I suppose they know what they are doing...

·
1,766 Posts

After the oil filter was removed they carefully rinsed it with an aroma soap and put it back as a new shiny unit! Congrats!

·
Registered
24 Posts

I called 3 dealers in the Seattle area and got three very different answers on my services. My bike being a 2010 with 7,500 miles means I *should* have the belts replaced (due to the year, not mileage), plugs, valves adjusted, and various other checks. I got quoted as low as $300 from one dealer, $780 at another, and $1,200 at another. I emailed and called Ducati NA in reference to their dealers not knowing their heads from their asses and not training their monkeys to read basic manuals which clearly point out what needs to be done, and they pretty much didn't care. (I used tact, don't worry) I referenced this article from long ago pointing out the exact same problem I had and reminded Ducati their dealers still suck: Keeping them Honest- 1098 Maintenance Costs Exposed what you don't know will cost you - Featured News

Again, they didn't really care. They did sort of pretend to at first and emailed and even called me, but in the end all they said is prices will vary from dealer to dealer:

"Concerning your request, please refer to the owner’s manual of your Streetfigther 1098, where you can read the scheduled plan listing the operations that need to be performed at each distance or time-elapsed interval. We encourage this is followed not only to make sure your bike is safe to ride, but also to ensure it is operating at its performance peak.

Furthermore, I would inform you that the costs are at the discetion of our Authorized Ducati Dealership service centers, that are at your complete disposal for any further explanation regarding cost, time to perform a service, or any other inquiries you might have about a scheduled service. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us or an Authorized Ducati Dealership. To find an Authorized Ducati Dealership, please visit www.ducatiusa.com<http://www.ducatiusa.com> and click on "Dealer Locator"."

I tried to explain that wasn't the problem, but that didn't seem to matter. I'm sure there are great dealers out there with great service staff who are passionate about their product and have brilliant service techs, but the disconnect from Ducati NA to the service desk is frustrating. 2 of 3 shops I called/emailed aren't multi-line dealers selling 4-5 other brands. I expect them to know what needs to be done when I give them model, year, and mileage and service requested.

In the end I got a shop manual and I'm just waiting on some tools to do the job myself. Screw it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I called 3 dealers in the Seattle area and got three very different answers on my services. My bike being a 2010 with 7,500 miles means I *should* have the belts replaced (due to the year, not mileage), plugs, valves adjusted, and various other checks. I got quoted as low as $300 from one dealer, $780 at another, and $1,200 at another. I emailed and called Ducati NA in reference to their dealers not knowing their heads from their asses and not training their monkeys to read basic manuals which clearly point out what needs to be done, and they pretty much didn't care. (I used tact, don't worry) I referenced this article from long ago pointing out the exact same problem I had and reminded Ducati their dealers still suck: Keeping them Honest- 1098 Maintenance Costs Exposed what you don't know will cost you - Featured News

Again, they didn't really care. They did sort of pretend to at first and emailed and even called me, but in the end all they said is prices will vary from dealer to dealer:

"Concerning your request, please refer to the owner’s manual of your Streetfigther 1098, where you can read the scheduled plan listing the operations that need to be performed at each distance or time-elapsed interval. We encourage this is followed not only to make sure your bike is safe to ride, but also to ensure it is operating at its performance peak.

Furthermore, I would inform you that the costs are at the discetion of our Authorized Ducati Dealership service centers, that are at your complete disposal for any further explanation regarding cost, time to perform a service, or any other inquiries you might have about a scheduled service. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us or an Authorized Ducati Dealership. To find an Authorized Ducati Dealership, please visit www.ducatiusa.com<http://www.ducatiusa.com> and click on "Dealer Locator"."

I tried to explain that wasn't the problem, but that didn't seem to matter. I'm sure there are great dealers out there with great service staff who are passionate about their product and have brilliant service techs, but the disconnect from Ducati NA to the service desk is frustrating. 2 of 3 shops I called/emailed aren't multi-line dealers selling 4-5 other brands. I expect them to know what needs to be done when I give them model, year, and mileage and service requested.

In the end I got a shop manual and I'm just waiting on some tools to do the job myself. Screw it.
Although I'm sure you've already made up your mind to do it yourself, which is good on you, I just wanted to give my recc. to Bellevue Ducati. They take care of all three of my Ducs. Dave (head mechanic) there runs a very orderly and honest shop. Bill usually is the guy that works on my bikes, but all of them over there are great mechanics.

However that being said, I cannot in the same paragraph give my recc. to Seattle Ducati. I won't say anymore than that. At any rate, best of luck to you and your own venturing. Let us know how it all works out. :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Although I'm sure you've already made up your mind to do it yourself, which is good on you, I just wanted to give my recc. to Bellevue Ducati. They take care of all three of my Ducs. Dave (head mechanic) there runs a very orderly and honest shop. Bill usually is the guy that works on my bikes, but all of them over there are great mechanics.

However that being said, I cannot in the same paragraph give my recc. to Seattle Ducati. I won't say anymore than that. At any rate, best of luck to you and your own venturing. Let us know how it all works out. :eek:
Bellevue was the only shop that took the time to email me back and explain what they were going to do versus what Ducati called for in the manual. Their approach was wrong, in the sense they didn't take the time to explain that first, but at least they actually make sense. The other two dealers... did not.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Bellevue was the only shop that took the time to email me back and explain what they were going to do versus what Ducati called for in the manual. Their approach was wrong, in the sense they didn't take the time to explain that first, but at least they actually make sense. The other two dealers... did not.
To be fair, Ducati Bellevue at this time of year is incredibly busy. But that being said, their best, as I agree with you, isn't shown in their replies or bedside manners (so to speak), rather best shown in the work that they do. For instance, Bill, the mechanic that usually is the guy that does my bikes, is a very quite and soft spoken fellah. But his work is top notch. The care he takes in doing the job right THE FIRST TIME, is very appreciated and amazing. I'm very sorry you feel they weren't as eloquent in their reply to you as you would hope to be, but please take what I say into consideration.

John and James are are both super busy, and sometimes I wish they had more time to chit chat with me than they sometimes do. But I know time and time again, they've really taken great care of me, and my bikes in the past. Been going there for years. And I don't think that'll ever change.

Give them a chance, and I promise you, you will not be disappointed.

Should meet up sometime and ride. :eek: Ever go to the track? Would love to meet'cha. :eek:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just had my belts and valve check done for £270 incl collection and delivery from my house. Needed 2 shims

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quote-1098 - Imgur
This is a link to my quote - job being done.
I looked over the owners manual, and found that they are charging me 6.9 hours of labor for -
-Valve Check
-Valve Adjust (with option to increase 440 + Parts, if all are out of spec.)
-Spark Plugs Change
-Checking of all the levels and such (fluids - chain - brake pads- tires)
-Checking of a bunch of things like wheel bearings, electrical diag, throttle body sync.

Please note, I took off the coolant / oil change / brake & clutch fluid swap.

The last two images are my first quotes I asked for. Which from what I see, sit at 550 base cost, and 990 for all valves out of spec (maybe more with parts)
So a base check is 255, max being 700~.
The 7500mi is quoted 4.9 hours more than this, I am trying to figure out what the 4.9 hours equals to being done. I don't believe the spark plugs and basic check take that much time. With removal of wheels to see bearings maybe up to 2 hours?
I am paying for it, as I agreed to the price, and I will get a full - detailed list of all they have done on the bike.

Sorry for rezzing an older thread, Will follow up with the details on what has been done, when I get my bike tomorrow.
< only updated this for others that use search and find this thread, as I did.. trying to keep info in one place.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts