Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming up to my 7500 mile service. I been thinking about doing it on my own, I have done some research on it. It does not look too bad. Does anybody here do there own services on their hyper? What tools do I need and how do you get the service light off after you do everything? I rather spend $350 on tools than give it to my dealer. I can keep using the tools they will pay for themselves.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i don't know much about mechanics but thats what i call using the head

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've got the same questions. I've got about 1000 miles to go and I'm really considering doing it myself.

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Do you have reference materials covering the 2v motor? I used LT Snyder's books extensively while learning and doing maintenence on both Desmoquattro and Testastretta powerplants. The 2v has plenty of technical contributors and LT does have a maintenance book out for the Desmodue. I think a very good do it yourself maintenance tutorials is by Ducati Suite. Its a step by step guide with pictures for doing the valve clearances on a 2v bike. Just google Ducati Suite.

These are the tools I've used in performing valve inspection/adjustments
1. Crank turning tool - easy way to get to TDC or just rear stand the wheel and turn it in a higher gear.
2. Rocker depressor tool by EMS - safe way to depress rockers instead of using a screwdriver
3. Closer shim measuring tool
4. Micrometer/Caliper (digital) for measuring clearances
5. Feeler gauges

Take your time, break it up into a couple days, study the material, email Mike at EMS or PM him here under Ducatimike with any questions you have whether technical or what parts to buy.

I'm no gearhead and it took me forever it seemed to learn the processes and I'm still not there yet. I went from a 2v Desmodue to a 4v Desmoquattro to a 4v Testastretta and trying to learn each because I bought and sold a number of bikes within a 4 year period. So the knowledge was spread out, but there are obvious things in common. In fact a buddy of mine asked me to assist him on a valve adjustment next week on his 748R. I jumped at that opportunity in order to repeat and verify what I have learned so far. If you have mechanical aptitude this stuff will come to you alot easier than for me because I struggle with it. Repetition is my key to success.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
These are the tools I've used in performing valve inspection/adjustments
1. Crank turning tool - easy way to get to TDC or just rear stand the wheel and turn it in a higher gear.
2. Rocker depressor tool by EMS - safe way to depress rockers instead of using a screwdriver
3. Closer shim measuring tool
4. Micrometer/Caliper (digital) for measuring clearances
5. Feeler gauges
VDST to adjust computer and clear service indicator.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
if you can do the majority of the work besides the service light, your dealer should do that for you for a min. price rather than buying the VDST.

Once you do the work, please post back up with tales of your experience. I am about 2k miles away from mine needing to be performed. I may try to tackle it with the assistance of a bud of mine.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you guys for all of the info! I'm buying the parts this weekend and a couple of weeks until I get the 7500 miles. I will post after everything is all set and done.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I do everything on mine and have done the 7500 mi service. In addition to what was mentioned, get a laptop with a small mic and guitar tuner software to adjust the belts(they will be loose). I have all the tools mentioned except the crank turning tool, I just turned the rear wheel in 6th gear with a breaker bar and socket on the axel nut, worked fine. If you don't bonce off the limiter often, its likely all your valves will be in spec. You need the VDST to reset the service light, set the TPS, and adjust fuel trim if you have a DP ECU. Carb sync sticks or vac gauges are needed to balance the throttle bodies, but mine were fine when checked.

Go for it, its not voodoo as a lot of dealers want you to think and guys buy into. $600 - $700 around here is just stupid for this work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd be pretty pissed if I bought someones hyper and was told the 7500 was done, when it was actually done by the owner. Unless the owner is a ducati tech. TPS setting is not voodoo, neither is belt tension, but I would rather have it done by a professional. If you want to save money buy tapered collets.

·
Registered
174 Posts
primitive - have you ever turned a wrench? You're telling me that you wouldn't trust someone that actually does the service that has a connection with the bike, and actually takes care of it over someone that may just see it as another bike and another $xx in their pocket for however fast they can get it done?

Now I have no experience with Duc dealers, but I am a professional mechanic, and don't think they would take care of my bike as well as I do.

Don't let me stop you from throwing your money away, though.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If I had to depend on a dealer to service my bikes I'd take up another hobby. I've been rebuilding motors and suspension for years and this is no big deal. As an engineer I like to get to know my bikes from the mechanics view as well as the riders. I didn't buy the bike just to have a Ducati and then pay someone else to wrench on it. If it was that much of a PIA I would have said fuck it and bought something else. Its a motorcycle, not a nuclear reactor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If I had to depend on a dealer to service my bikes I'd take up another hobby. I've been rebuilding motors and suspension for years and this is no big deal. As an engineer I like to get to know my bikes from the mechanics view as well as the riders. I didn't buy the bike just to have a Ducati and then pay someone else to wrench on it. If it was that much of a PIA I would have said fuck it and bought something else. Its a motorcycle, not a nuclear reactor.
Well said, agree 100%

·
Registered
6 Posts
I understand wanting to work on your own bike, and some people can do it with no problem. Some people wreck everything they touch with a wrench, these people are also usually the biggest braggerts and complainers when there is a problem. If you want to work on your 82 z, cool, you should. If you bought a brand new ducati and want the warranty, pay a tech to do it. I've seen people void warranties and have to learn to rebuild motors, and if they are honest when they resell their bikes they will take a big hit. If you are ever going to sell the bike you are working on, be forthright with the next owner. I dont care how confident you are in your ability. Whats a wrench?

·
Registered
174 Posts
My motard is out of warranty. I also don't plan on selling it anytime soon. I'm a collector of motor vehicles not a seller.

If you don't want to turn a wrench, that's your choice, but don't come down on us that do. At least not in your first post here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What RPM did you balance your throttle bodies to? What temp was it at? What closer spec did you use? Belt tension Hz? Most dealers arent out to gouge there customers, they want you to come back, they want you to be happy, but shop employees do want to make a living. As far as the care a tech gives to your bike, Ducati techs for the most part, have chosen to be ducati mechanics because they love bikes, and it is the pinnacle. They take pride in the work they do.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ahh thank goodness for that...takes off respirator and protective suit

·
Registered
605 Posts
primitive,

How many posts do you have? Hell of a way to start.

If your not confident enough to work on your bike thats fine, no one is belittling you for that. On the other hand, you have to consider that some of us here may have skills above and beyond what is required for these relatively simple tasks, and respect that.

All the information to service the bike is available in the factory manual as well as other publications like LTs book. Some special tools you need, some you don't. Thats where the skill comes in, understanding the problem and task and implementing a satisfactory solution. There is always more than one way to do something.

Like dragoontwo, I could care less about resale at this point and bought the bike to ride and enjoy, not put on a pedestal. If I was worried about that I would have bought a CD as an investment. FWIW, every bike I have sold in the last 10 years was to people I know who were waiting for me to sell, because they know how I care for my equipment.

My bike has over 9K on it and runs flawlessly, because I look after it more often than the dealer would at the recommended intervals. For example, if your not too scared, remove the belt covers and eyeball the tension (before the recommended milage), and you may in in for a surprise.:eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Who gives a shit how many posts I have? Talking most often will not make you an expert. If you want to know about my experience with motorcycles, ask me like an honerable man. Don't attempt to goad me into telling you about my mechanical expertise. If your warranty is up, what I said about warranties doesnt apply. If your not going to sell the bike, tear the whole thing down and rebuild it. I don't consider motorcycles a hobby, it's transportation and exhilleration, and I wouldn't want somebody to consider my safety a hobby.

·
The Road Beckons...
2,298 Posts
Huh?

Geez, this thread got really heated fast. Must be that everyone on here is reading this thread with the garage door down, and reving the bike to 6k just to hear the exhaust...Let's open a window, get off this exhaust high and get back to the initial post. For my "do-it-yourself-er" attitude I would really like to get more info from the people that have done it. What kind of hiccups did you encounter during it? Are you going to need an extra set of hands? Etc. Excuse me now while I open my garge door to let the exhaust out.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Who gives a shit how many posts I have? Talking most often will not make you an expert. If you want to know about my experience with motorcycles, ask me like an honerable man. Don't attempt to goad me into telling you about my mechanical expertise. If your warranty is up, what I said about warranties doesnt apply. If your not going to sell the bike, tear the whole thing down and rebuild it. I don't consider motorcycles a hobby, it's transportation and exhilleration, and I wouldn't want somebody to consider my safety a hobby.
Your safety is your responsibility. If you buy a bike and ride it, its your responsibility to check it over regardless of who you bought it from. It is your responsibility to take care of it and maintain it so that its safe to ride. You can take it to a dealer or you can do it yourself, whatever you're comfortable with. Even if a dealer performs the work, its still on you to make sure the work was done right.

You have only yourself to blame if shit goes wrong.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts