Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some doubts on the level of service my bike received. Any feedback is appreciated b4 I contact the dealer (Ducati authorized).

I recently got the 7500 mile service for my bike. When I went to pick up the bike I noticed right away that it was not washed, then I noticed that the chain was not cleaned or lubed. I pointed out the issues to the guy that helped me and he sent the bike back to get the chain lubed. He offered to have the bike washed, but I didn't have time, so he gave me a $35 service credit for next time.

Now, 2 days later I am starting to question what was even done to my bike. So I looked through the Ducati 7500 checklist and felt that I should take a look at a couple of things.

First thing I checked was to see if the air filter had been cleaned. My honest opinion is no, they didn't even look at it. Attached are a couple of pics, you can see my finger mark on the inside of the airbox. Imo if a tech had opened that up he would have at least cleaned it with a towel.

Next thing I checked was the brake light. My front brake lever does not engage the brake light for one reason or another, and I feel as though this should be a straightforward and routine thing for them to check and note (or bring to my attention).

Sorry for the long rant....but is my experience similar to others or am I just being paranoid? I feel as though they did a half ass job doing the service on my bike and it is not representative of a $790 job (which I was actually quoted $697 when I brought the bike in).

Attached are a couple pics of the air filter and airbox, along with the chain (although I don't think I was checking tension the right way when I took the pic).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I wouldn't think that the dust / dirt inside the airbox is any inclination of service performed.

It's just because the stock airfilter to intake seal is a piece of shit design which allows contaminants to enter the airbox. Not many techs are going to care that much and clean the inside of the airbox for you.

What would cause me to worry, a little, is that the stock air filter is not supposed to be a "cleanable" part. It should have been replaced with a new one. Yours doesn't look new from the picture. Hard to tell though.

Can you remove the belt covers and have a look?

It's easy to tell if they have been replaced or not.

If they haven't been replaced, thats what would really be cause for worry.
For me at least.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't think that the dust / dirt inside the airbox is any inclination of service performed.

It's just because the stock airfilter to intake seal is a piece of shit design which allows contaminants to enter the airbox. Not many techs are going to care that much and clean the inside of the airbox for you.

What would cause me to worry, a little, is that the stock air filter is not supposed to be a "cleanable" part. It should have been replaced with a new one. Yours doesn't look new from the picture. Hard to tell though.

Can you remove the belt covers and have a look?

It's easy to tell if they have been replaced or not.

If they haven't been replaced, thats what would really be cause for worry.
For me at least.

Good luck.
According to the maintenance schedule, the filter is only supposed to be cleaned (which seems odd as it is because I don't know how youre supposed to clean an air filter). The belts were changed by the PO, so I did not get the belts changed (and again its not a mandatory service according to the maintenance schedule).

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I just assumed you were talking about a SF1098. My bad.

What bike do you have?

·
Registered
465 Posts
The belts may not have been due to be changed. On my 2010 SFS, the belt tension is checked at 7500, but the belts are not replaced until 15000.

Do you have an 848 or 1098? I don't know what the valve service interval is on the 848. If it's a 1098, they should have checked the valve shims. You have to remove, or at least loosen, the radiators to get to the horizontal cylinder, which means a coolant change. I would look for evidence of that. The shop that did my 7500 mile service provided me with a run-down of which valves they had to change shims on. Granted it was all roughly jotted down by hand on some scrap paper, but I liked that they went to the effort to do that.

I just did the 15000 mile service myself. The workshop manual says to remove the airbox to do the valves, but you might be able to do it by just loosening and raising it. Removing and re-installing the airbox takes some time because you have to deal with the fuel lines, coolant lines, wiring, and throttle cables in tight confines. Time is money, especially when they already told you how much it's going to cost. The incentive is to hurry. They could have rushed and overlooked your brake light issue and forgot about the chain. Checking the lights and chain are on the to-do list for 7500 miles, though.

However, the to-do list in the owner's manual isn't perfect. In addition to cleaning what is possibly a non-cleanable filter, it also says to lube the throttle cables. I suspect we have teflon cables that do not require lube (I might be wrong, but my throttle was still smooth at 15k. I lubed the cables anyway, and there was no difference in feel.)

·
Registered
165 Posts
As far as the air filter goes, I think it looks pretty clean. The OEM air filter is almost $100. You would have been so pissed if he would have replaced it. He probably knocked off any bugs and reinstalled.

As far as the chain, he should have cleaned it. But, it looks like you don't give it any loving yourself. That is common owner maintenance.

Washing the bike. I have never heard of somebody expecting that. Some people get pissed if their bike gets wet. Maybe a polish with Honda Cleaner and make sure it is nice and tidy I do agree with.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
The belts may not have been due to be changed. On my 2010 SFS, the belt tension is checked at 7500, but the belts are not replaced until 15000.
Right you are. I just re-checked....

15,000mi. or 2 years (for 2010 SFS).

I guess I've been very preventative :)

Carry on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a 1098.

They did put new shims in according to the invoice, however I had asked them to not change any fluids. Nobody ever mentioned the coolant thing to me....

The washing of the bike is on the maintenance schedule sheet.

I mean here's the thing...we freaking own these expensive bikes and make the investment to keep it up to date. Maybe I'm expecting too much for the amount of money that was spent, but I think a higher level of service should be expected (and to follow the damn recommendations that Ducati says needs to be done)

·
Registered
41 Posts
What does the invoice say they actually did? I would go over the invoice and look for what service they did perform. Missing the chain cleaning/lube is definitely an eye opener to double check their service. keep up with the inspection to see what they did for $790

·
Registered
387 Posts
throw away the stock filter and have yourself either the BMC or MWR filter. They seal much better than stock and even the shitty K&N.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
As already mentioned, you cannot clean the factory air filter. It's a throw away item. It's a misprint in the manual. Get an MWR air filter. It's the only air filter that will prevent dirt entering your airbox. Just like you have in your pictures. In a perfect world the tech would of replaced the filter and cleaned out your airbox. But today most techs don't care and just let things like this go.

You have already neglected your chain as far as cleaning goes. You can't expect them to clean and lube your chain to make it look better then new. I'm a person that's anal about clean chains.

As far as washing your bike. It's on the list. But come on. The dealer isn't a detail shop. If you want a good cleaning take it to a detailer and pay for it. I'm a person that never washes a bike with water or rides in wet conditions. I would be pissed if I took my bike in for service and they soaked my very clean bike with water. I do most all of my service myself so I don't have to think about that.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
That is a remarkably clean airbox for running the stock filter.

And the stock filter looks fine to continue using it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That is a remarkably clean airbox for running the stock filter.

And the stock filter looks fine to continue using it.
That stock filter looks fine because all the dirt is going right around it and into the airbox/engine. Throwing that piece of shit away and getting a MWR is the only option IMO.

Reactions: Donger

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
If it's a new bike, consider scheduled maintenance payment for them to back you up when you need warranty help with Ducati NA.
If it's out of warranty, buy LT's Repair Manual for your bike and find a fellow Ducati rider and ask him to look over your shoulder while you learn the basics, oil / filter change, checking valve clearance, air filter change, chain / sprocket adjusting - change as needed, etc. Just take your time and don't try to do too much at one time.
As you gain confidence doing the basics then you can advance to valve adjusting, and belt changing.
When you do the work yourself you know it's done right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sent the dealership an email this morning. They followed up with a phone call and offered to clean the chain correctly and run a diagnostic for the brake light.

They understood my concerns and were willing to accommodate. Its good to know that some dealerships still care...

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
According to the maintenance schedule, the filter is only supposed to be cleaned (which seems odd as it is because I don't know how youre supposed to clean an air filter).
Typically I blow them out with compressed air, doesn't get all the tiny stuff out but does knock larger particles out and probably extends the life of the filter substantially.

Though with cars I usually switch to K&N pretty quickly (which may be $hit for bikes but work just fine on cars).

I'm still on the stock filter on my bike... was wondering what options might be out there.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
You are doing more harm then good by blowing compressed air on your air filter. You're removing some particles but are also driving dirt into the filter. The high velocity air is also making some of the air passages larger decreasing its ability to trap dirt. Get an MWR air filter. It's the best solution.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I guess the answer to my question is that I'm expecting too much...
Well, at a minimum it begs the question why they are charging you $700 dollars for an oil change. They just need to breakdown the work performed, and there should be evidence to show what they did.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts