Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang-

I've scheduled my 7500 mile service to be done in a few weeks and just had a few ?s for those of you who've had yours done.

First, I was told to expect to pay about $700 for the service, and that it takes about 6 hours. This was assuming the valves don't need to be adjusted, and the guy at the shop told me they rarely do at 7.5k. Does this cost and stuff about the valves probably not needing adjustment sound reasonable? Also, if they do need adjusting will that add much to the bill?

Also, I'm real curious to see how much of a performance improvement I can expect. I've seen one or two threads recently that indicated quite an improvement, so I'm wondering if that's the general consensus, and if so, where did you notice the improvement - e.g. acceleration, starting, powerband, "smoothness", etc.?

Finally, I'm only about 160 miles shy of 7.5k, but with this beautiful weather we're having in Central Texas, I could easily log 3-400 miles prior to my service appointment. Any big deal if I run a few hun over 7.5k before the service?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
If the bike is running well and the valve train fairly quiet then you are OK to go over on mileage before the service IMHO.

What you will get with better tuning is less vibration and more rideability. Maybe a little more performance, but really it's just a better running bike all around. I think the first real valve adjustment is at 15k, but that doesn't mean that you might not have a couple that are out of spec. DOeas it mean you can't it until 15k to adjust? Depends how much of a perfectionist you are. I've come to realize these motors are really tough, and run OK with various states of tune. I like to know things are right, so have either paid someone to make it right(or better really), or have learned to do it myself so I can take 12 hours to do the valves if I need to. :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
I never did a 7500 service. Everything runs fine. I was told by my service mgr to wait until the 10k.
I do my own oil changes and minor stuff... I am definitely not doing the valve adjustments...:cool:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dietrich - the bike runs well enough - starts good, idles well, etc. and doesn't really seem any noiser (and I notice stuff like that). Seems to have a little hesitant cough when I give it small revs while idling, and maybe lacks a bit of its "snap" compared to when I first got it, but that may just be me getting used to it. I suspect the throttle bodies may need some adjusting because I've noticed on cold mornings I see more exhaust condensation on one side, and one of that cylinder's plugs indicates it's running a bit richer.

CU3RVO - that's interesting about your service mgr. suggesting waiting until 10k, especially since the '06 models were still under the old guidelines suggesting maintenance at 6k.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I would just mention any little thing you notice about how it runs to your service writer, make a list and take it with you when you go in. Make sure he/she writes the stuff down. Then when you pick it up bring your same list and ask about how those things were adressed. It seems like some things are not automaticaly adjusted or looked at, but if you bring it up, especially concern for specific stuff like the throttle body sync or air bleed adj, then they will check it and adjust as necessary. It's minor stuff, but can make a big difference in how well it runs.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I am at 9k miles. The prevoius owner is an aircraft mechanic and did the maintenance at around 7k. However, I am going to take the bike in the spring and have it done up so I know I'm good to 15k. Sounds like you're noticing typical things. Check your plugs and air cleaner. I would not blow off the work for the first two majors. If you plan on keeping the bike a long time, you'll have little issues after that.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dietrich & brooksie - thanks - those are good suggestions! I love the bike and plan on hanging onto it for a long time so it makes sense to bite the $ bullet and get things done right, even if the timing isn't the greatest for me financially speaking, what with the holidays and the bike needing new sneakers as well. Like there ever is a "perfect" time :rolleyes:, right?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm right behind you, milage wise. At this rate, the 7.5K service will come due in the Spring. I, too, was tempted to ignore this service as the bike is running so well, but now I'm thinking that this will be the first opportunity to have the bike througly looked at, inside and out. It's a chance to catch any developing problems.

Appearently, all the dealer did at the 600 mile service was change the oil and over tighten the chain. Even that was almost $400!

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
If the bike is running well and the valve train fairly quiet then you are OK to go over on mileage before the service IMHO.
Two brief caveats:

1) The belts have a two year change interval regardless of mileage.

2) Valves that are too tight are quiet and can do greater damage than valve that are too loose.

-don

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For peace of mind, and the fact that I still have about 5 months warranty on the bike, it'll be worth it to get the maintenance done.

Which means soon after I shell out the $ for the maintenance and new tires, I've got to decide if I want to purchase the extended warranty:p. Makes you wonder if all those people who bought bikes in the summer of '08 to save on gas when it was $4\gal. took the true cost of ownership into consideration. Or maybe they did but just "forgot" to mention that bit to their spouses - not that anyone on this forum would do such a thing:D

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Yeah, you definitely don't buy a motorcycle for the cost savings. Less on gas (or not, depending what car you compare it too), but look at what you spend changing tires every 5000 miles or so. Total for gas: 5000 miles / 45 mpg if you're lucky x $3 per gallon = $333. Easy to spend that much on tires, so gas isn't even the most expensive consumable involved.

And that's without taking service costs into account, if you are the type of person that let's another man wrench your bike.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You'll be even happier with your bike after that 7500 service. Mine was 600$-ish without an oil change(did my own). Proitalia had it ready on time and under budget. :cool:
She was better, smoother, happier all around. Remember riding away and thinking "Whose bike is this?" :D
So necessary and SO WORTH IT!
Also just had my 15k service done. Splendid. Even better.
Adding to that had also recently renewed the chain and sprockets(15-41), had a Pirelli Strada front installed.
New bike.
Will promise you you'll like the results after that 7.5k svc.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You'll be even happier with your bike after that 7500 service. Mine was 600$-ish without an oil change(did my own). Proitalia had it ready on time and under budget. :cool:
She was better, smoother, happier all around. Remember riding away and thinking "Whose bike is this?" :D
So necessary and SO WORTH IT!
Also just had my 15k service done. Splendid. Even better.
Adding to that had also recently renewed the chain and sprockets(15-41), had a Pirelli Strada front installed.
New bike.
Will promise you you'll like the results after that 7.5k svc.
thanks sj - that's what I was hoping to hear. This time around the shop will be doing the oil change, so I guess $700 isn't bad. I plan on buying a rear stand down the road so I can do my own oil changes and chain maintenance, but just can't justify it right now.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Just had my 7500 done. I don't think you have an issue being slightly over 7500. My bike was running great before the service, and it's running a little better after. Cost was about $1100 with new tires. I believe the valves were adjusted as shims were added plus the fuel tank was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
238 Posts
My bike ran great after the 7.5, but I was less impressed with the 15K. It depends on the tech. So I'm buying the tools for the next time.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I plan on buying a rear stand down the road so I can do my own oil changes and chain maintenance, but just can't justify it right now.
Good call: the rear stand first, and then the front, really useful for when you FINALLY GET RID OF THOSE HEAVY-ASS OEM WHEELS! :D I ended up with Pit Bull stands, front and rear, and could not be happier with them.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good call: the rear stand first, and then the front, really useful for when you FINALLY GET RID OF THOSE HEAVY-ASS OEM WHEELS! :D I ended up with Pit Bull stands, front and rear, and could not be happier with them.
Yeah, Pit Bull is what I'm gonna go with.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm getting a slightly used Fat Duc from a fellow forum member, and expect it to arrive shortly before I take the bike in for the 7500 mile service.

Should I wait to install in until after the service? I'm not too worried about them raising any warranty issues, since the guy who sold me the bike raves about the Fat Duc and says it's must have. I'm more concerned that it might interfere with any diagnostics they may perform on it.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If your tech is already into it I would definitely instal first and have him fine tune it while doing the rest of the service!
Good idea, dietrich. I called him and he's fine with it being installed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts