Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished up the 7500 mile maint on a 2008 Hyper valves and belts. Job actually went pretty well and was easier than I thought to do. Rented the kit from Desmo Tool Rental and was definitely the way to go. Nice people, good instructions, and everything we needed except belts and orings. Valves we're alittle tight and within spec but decided to adjust seeing we had tools and shims in the kit.
Belts were slack after the 7500 miles and 10 years and would not register on freq meter at all. Interesting to note the last thing the bike did in the fall was a track day. It appears as long as the belts are not overly slack and flapping around there is probably no way they would jump a tooth just because of the way they are run and position of the rollers. That's not to say they couldn't fail with age and time??
Having seen this we wanted to pay better attention to the tension this time. While we had the MotoReva frequency tool we wanted to find an app that would do the same thing so we could check the tension whenever we wanted. After alot of trial and error we found an app "Easy tension" for bicycle belts that matched up exactly with the readings we were getting with the Desmo Tool meter. It takes 3 readings and then averages and ended up being almost identical to readings on the MotoReva tool. Planning to check tension after maybe 1000 miles to check for initial stretch and then periodically on the way to 15000 miles. Pretty easy to do and with a phone and app even better. Hope this helps others as well. After all of this IMHO belt tension is not as critical as I once thought. I feel as long as you have some tension you should be good as evidenced by a track day on slack belts?? Either that or I am really lucky!! Either way with the app there's no excuse to not check belts periodically. Good luck and tight belts!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not the brightest bulb in the box but not stupid either. Replaced belts with Exact Fit. While I'm at it has anyone been successfully at clearing the service wrench on an early Hyper?? Tried using ScanTwin and can do everything it seems except reset wrench??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agree 10 years is pushing it but 2 like manual says is probably overkill. Maybe I did get lucky but have to say belts looked ok. No cracks dryrot etc. Obviously it doesn't get ridden as much as it should. Another reason why the early Hyper are the best??

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Good for you for performing your own maintenance!

For God's sake, don't let it slide for so long next time! Otherwise you will be posting up a "full part out for an 08 Hyper" thread instead of hey look I did my own service :)

t_bare

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
7500 mile maintenance and bet tension

Agree, will be checking tension regularly and changing belts more often. BTW talked to Chris at Exact Fit and his "personal" time limit is 5 years. Seems like a good compromise between 2 and 10?? Of course use and climate (track days, southern states) etc. To be considered.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts