Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Ducati 750 Supersport. I was riding to work the other day and the temperature was like 105 outside. When I was in stop and go traffic the engine temperature needle was at about half way. The clutch started to get weird and when I'd let it all the way out the bike would barely move. When I got to a safer place to pull over, the needle was at 3/4. I turned the bike off for about 20 minutes and the temperature needle got to 1/4. I started it back up and the needle instantly went back to 3/4 and the oil light was blinking. I turned it back off and had a friend bring it home in his pick up. Why was it overheating so much and why did the oil light come on? I haven't started it up again because I wanted to figure out the problem first.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hiya

Low/no oil would give you overheating problems / clutch trouble and undoubtadly - an oil warning light. ;)

Yep.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Air cooled is not the whole story with most "modern" machines. A huge amount of cooling is done via the oil.

Low oil = high heat

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

Ok, I will check the oil when I get home. I know there is a oil leak in the engine because when it sits in my garage there is a some oil underneath it.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Some big clearances used in the aircooled engines to account for high-temperatures/expansion etc, they can burn a little oil over time if used on short journeys etc? I keep a coke bottle full of oil under my seat for any emergency topups? Low oil - more friction - more heat :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when i got home from work yesterday i checked the oil and the oil level was good. i still drained it and im going to put more oil in later today. if that does solve the problem what else should i try?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi

Oil pump could be on its way out. I know nothing about how they work on Ducati's or if the dash light is a low level or a low pressure warning.

I would not run the bike for long until you figure it out though.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
You running 15W50 full synthetic? Stop and go traffic in high heat is very hard on oil cooled motors (no radiator fan).

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have an 01' 750 as well. took it out in the Anzia-Borrego desert on the worst day to do so. Well over 100 (miserable ride, but the climb out was worth it) Temp gauge barely crept over half. Oil cooler, oil pump, correct oil, and are you possibly running too lean? That will create a lot more heat, check your plugs. Just my ideas.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The oil cooling will not suffer until you have so little oil left that the oil pump is sucking air. The air-cooled engine will heat up pretty quickly when standing still at idle, because it has no fan and no wind cooling it. The oil light might be also a sensor going bad. First symptom of that is often an oil light flickering when the engine is hot. I think you probably have a clutch problem and wouldn't worry about the oil if the oil level is between the marks. The clutch not engaging was probably caused by the fluid in the line expanding and the master cylinder not letting it flow back to the reservoir properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts