Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just bought a beautiful little 2000 750 Monster with about 13k miles. I got it from a co-worker who bought it 10 years ago and only put about 1000 miles on it. It's been sitting in his garage for at least 5 years. He drained the gas tank at some point, so I'm hopeful that the carbs aren't gummed up (but realize that it's a long shot). I got the bike home and pulled of the gas tank to replace a couple fuel hoses that were cracking.

Next, I hooked up a battery charger, pulled the plugs, sprayed a little penetrating spray in the cylinders and hit the starter. The engine spun over just fine. It had enough compression to pop my thumb off the spark plug holes. So far so good!

Next I drained the oil, replaced the oil filter and added a little over 3 quarts oil. I put new plugs in and hit the starter switch just for fun and..... nuthin.

No click, no headlight dimming, no starter spinning. Headlights go on, turn signals work, etc. I verified that the handlebar kill switch is "on", bike in neutral, checked kickstand up and down, rocked bike side to side in case there is a low oil shutoff, checked fuses under seat and still nuthin. With the key turned on, there is a red oil light on the dash. Does this always turn on when the key is on and bike is not running, or does the bike think it's low on oil, hence the oil light on?

I'm a decent shade tree mechanic and have a bunch of bikes that I work on, so I have some idea what I'm doing. It seems to me that there is some sort of switch or relay that I blew or disconnected.

Any ideas??? I was really hoping to get the bike running this weekend while we still have nice weather here in California.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
on the back of the starter solenoid is a little white 2 wire connector that is not held in at all and it comes out a little bit and she no go mate. give it a push back in.

otherwise, look at the side stand switch, there's a relay related to it under the seat i think. pull it out and jump to bypass.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Belter, I took another look and wiggled the side stand switch wiring and got her to turn over. I'll have to bypass that damned switch!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts