Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the site, and hoping to get some insight into my Monster troubles!

I've had my bike, a 2000 750 Monster Dark, for about 6 months, and have been trying to figure out the headshake problem. At about 90 mph, about 80% of the time, the bike starts oscillating side to side, handlebars wobbling, nothing I've lost control of (yet!) but its a bit disturbing...especially coming from a very heavy Suzuki, that planted like a rock at 120+!

I understand Monsters can have an issue with this... as the front end is very light. This has been occurring since I've owned the bike... the previous owner claims he never had a problem with this (and I believe him, he's my boyfriend... ! :D ) but he's also about 90 lbs heavier than me, so I'm thinking that might have something to do with it!

I've got new tires, Dunlop 207s, so there's no cupping on the front and they've recently been balanced. I'm running a 120/65 in front. I just installed clip-ons, and I was hoping they would help bring weight over the front end, but that hasn't seemed to make a difference! The clip-ons are installed OVER the top triple clamp, but its a single pinch bolt, so the forks are only raised about 19 mm in the clamps. I figure I made up for that by having a 5mm increase in tire size, so frame geometry shouldn't be that adversely affected... and the headshake was happening before the clip-ons, anyway.

My next steps, I think, are 1. double check the sag (although it 'feels' right, its worth checking); 2. maybe try installing the clamps under the clamps, so I can lower the forks in the clamps, lengthening the rake (although I'd hate to do this, I really like the riding position right now!); and then 3. maybe raising the rear a bit, to get more weight over the front end that way? After these things, I'm at a loss what to do next... except invest in a steering stabilizer?

Has anyone struggled with this before? Any other suggestions as to what I should look into?

Thanks! :cool:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
well....I have had a similar problem...I raised the rear which in turn put just enough weight on the front end to keep me from having to go further...but there are times when it reoccurs...and the only real cure other than dropping more of your weight over the front end by sliding the forks up more through the triple and changing your position would be to put a damper on it....unfortunate...but tis the only way!...unless you want to run some lead in your front tire or something!...LOl...anyways...welcome to the site and feel free to post more including pics and stuff!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think zooom has it. Experimenting with the front and rear ride heights is the way to go. On mine, I lowered the front (forks up in the triple...around 5mm) and raised the rear about an inch from stock settings. Plants like a champ on Dunlop 208s.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same bike and never had the headshake problem, I however sound like I am quite abit heavier and can keep the weight to the front of the bike. What about adding a steering dampner to the front that may help.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Had a similar problem too. Ended up race-teching the front end. Springs and valves. Turns out the suspension was setting up the ocillation. Once started, there just was not much weight to slow/reduce it. The above fixes may indeed work. But I believe something else is amiss. The rake/trail/offset figures of the monster provide for a pretty stable set-up. Look to your suspension for the answer.

If there is a kit made for the monster 750. Go there. Do it. You will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think that the front suspension is too stiff. Try to softening the compression rate for 1 turn counter clockwise and half turn counter clockwise for rebound damping. I weight around 120lb and I have to soften the front suspension from the factory setting to get better feel of the steering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.