Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to put an 02 750 monster engine in my 01 750 ss. All the plugs are places sensors and wires plug in to are exactly the same but fir some reason im not getting powet to the starter or fuel pump. The kill switch is getting its sinal to the starter relay/selinoid. I think it may be bad. Does anyone know if this would cause the fuel pump to lose power or any other suggestions other than the basics? All fuses have been changed and reading power at all the fuses but no mechanicals work.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Hi,

Is the sidestand switch connected/working? Is the ground strap connected to the engine? Did you check the main fuses? (next to the ECU) Are the relays working? (2 one upfront on the fairing bracket and one next to the ECU).

Gray

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
had a new side stand layimg around no effect when swaped. Engine ground is connected. Main fuse replaced. Relays next to ecu good. Not sure what relay you mean mounted elsewhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have all the electrical from the monster. But I also have a power commander for the ss comp I would like to be able to use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the info but the ecu and wiring harness are the same. The only parts I changed were the motor and starter. everything else is my ss electrical.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
had a new side stand layimg around no effect when swaped. Engine ground is connected. Main fuse replaced. Relays next to ecu good. Not sure what relay you mean mounted elsewhere.

There are two relays on the front faring bracket one is the flasher relay and the other is the ignition relay. It sounds like your problem may be the ignition relay... to find them you will have to remove the front fairing.

Gray

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well im running out of ideas. All the relays are good. The monsters wiring harness has that key recognicion bull shit so its practically useless. thinking about buying a diagnostic program. But the only thing I havent been able to swap is the computer. How often do ecu's go bad?

·
Registered
836 Posts
you say all you have swapped is the motor and starter yeah??

you should have no problems with any of the electrics as you state as it is all of your original wiring etc, do you have ignition power?? dash lights or any thing of the sort??

there is nothing in the motor itself that should stop your bike running, just sensors that the computer needs to run which normally are the same in both models any way.

sounds like maybe the main fuseable link etc or something??

try by passing the kill switch and see if you get power to the fuel pump etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ill try to explain this as cleaely as possible. I traced countless wires measured voltages all over the bike and the image I am getting the computer is not sending signals or grounding. There is voltage across every fuse and every system that is,independent from the computer I.e. lights and dash. the ecu has a good ground I know its recieving power. So its has to be the comp. Ill try to find one nearby to test. Tired of dumping money into this bike.

Thanks again everybody for taking an interest and giving me ideas.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Please don't be offended by this question, but I noticed you are a very new member and may not be too familiar with the IE SS models.

Do you know the side stand / kick stand has to be up before the bike will start?

The side stand switch is an input to the ECU and the switch has to be closed, which only happens when the stand is up or shorted out in the connector about 9 inches above the stand.

Richard

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wasnt offended but I will give you aome background. I am a new member but ive had my bike for 3 years put over 20000 miles on it. Ive had to pull the motor before when I sent the chain through the crankcase at a drag strip. Had no issues. I was a electronic tech in the military. I have a good understanding of the basics. This is the first forum I have ever joined because I can usually solve any problem I come across. But this has stumped me. I cant find a single post anywhere online where some one has had no power to the starter and fuel pump while the kill switch is working. Without a theory of operation that explaines the function of each component, I cant see any possability but faulty ecu.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
I wasnt offended but I will give you aome background. I am a new member but ive had my bike for 3 years put over 20000 miles on it. Ive had to pull the motor before when I sent the chain through the crankcase at a drag strip. Had no issues. I was a electronic tech in the military. I have a good understanding of the basics. This is the first forum I have ever joined because I can usually solve any problem I come across. But this has stumped me. I cant find a single post anywhere online where some one has had no power to the starter and fuel pump while the kill switch is working. Without a theory of operation that explaines the function of each component, I cant see any possability but faulty ecu.

I had to ask just in case it was that simple:)

I sent you a PM with my Skype address and a link to download the 900SSie diagram so we could talk about the diag and what needs to happen.

Stating the obvious, the key needs to be on and the run switch on. This provides power to the ECU and the fuses. The ECU runs at 5 Volts, whilst the bike is obviously 12 V nominal. The ECU controls relays, injectors, coils etc. by switching the negatives of these to ground. I.e. they are connected to 12V on one side and the ECU connects the other side to ground.
The ECU provides a 12V nominal output to the run and start switches and to the relay that provides 12 V nom to the fuel pump, coils and injectors. I.e. the positive supply. Each of these is then switched by the ECU to ground.

The ECU could be cactus, but if it was running your bike before, then it should be "simple" I would still suspect the side stand switch, but we will talk hopefully.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks to punch I heard my bike run for the first time in over a month this morning. He helped me find a poor connection in the side stand switch. The starter that came on the motor burnt out before I got to go for a ride but swapped it out tonight. looking forward to riding it tomorrow.

Thanks again punch

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
thanks to punch I heard my bike run for the first time in over a month this morning. He helped me find a poor connection in the side stand switch. The starter that came on the motor burnt out before I got to go for a ride but swapped it out tonight. looking forward to riding it tomorrow.

Thanks again punch

No worries at all.

Just for info, we talked over Skype to track down the problem, which I am happy to do with other people if I there is a chance I might know how to test or find a solution.

If it is electrical, then you will need a multimeter before starting to fault find.

Richard

1 - 16 of 16 Posts