Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

750 miles w/o 600 mile maintenance service

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Gilles 
#1 ·
hey guys, my bike has now reached mileage for first its first service. I am actually over 600 miles, around 750 and have not performed it yet. I am looking to do it hopefully this week or next at most.

I know there is no solution to this, but since I am noob at this, is it bad if I went past 600 miles without performing maintenance?

I was actually thinking about changing the oil myself and let the dealer do the rest to save me some bucks. do you think its a good idea?

Also, I am not sure what is the break in period for the S4Rs. Ive heard 600 miles, then 1000 miles. I dont know. Just want to know when can I hit the redline.

I am just dying to take this thing to the mountains. its been more than a month now.

#3 ·
You should be fine. I went close to 1000 miles before the first service. The tech told me that the first oil is more viscus, and basically the longer you have the oil in the bike, to a point, is a good thing. He said that it lets the oil seep in longer. You would be wise to do the oil yourself, because the first service is essentially a glorified oil change, and chain tightening. Of course they do check for recall work and so forth, but the more you can do yourself the better your wallet will feel.

Hope it helps

Hibbz

#4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Well yeah I will do the oil change myself. I called my local dealer today and they quoted 160 which i believe is not that bad but I will change the oil myself.

BUT
Do you think I will have warranty issues if I do the oil change myself?

I will take it to the dealer afterward so they can tighten the chain and do whatever else is supposed to do in the service.

#6 ·
well i went to the dealer and bought everything i needed, and damn that agip oil is expensive 15 dollars a quart!!! I would have no problem with warranty as long as i keep the receipts with me of all the parts i bought for maintenance. The rest is just tightening the bolts as cheking tire pressure. So no need to go to the dealer.h

#7 ·
Well changed the oil, now to see what the bike is really made of. Im going to the mountains tomorrow to try it out.

What else can I do for the first service? my dealer told me but I completely forgot.

#8 ·
After nearly taking forever to obtain a Dutch riders license, I started riding and immediately booked a first service (1000km = 600m). The booking was 6 weeks away. I ended up riding 3000 km by the time it got in.

I was told not to worry about the warranty, but that the dealer needed to do the service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.