Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a 74 750 that’s got a standard double seat. It needs redone. I like the look of the single “sport” style seat, and have found 1 seller that has these that fit the dimensions of the GT. Ideally, I’d like to have both and swap out if I plan on having a passenger.

From what I’ve read, Ducati did have a version(seems rare) that fit the sport that was a double (“bump”incorporated into the leather).

I’ve considered making my own single seat out of fiberglas. Anybody out there done this, or have any suggestions for single seat options? If so, how are they mounted?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just looked up the company, it’s “air tech”. $139 + shipping for the seat. I think it’s just molded plastic you’ve gotta figure out the mounting on your own. Anybody used these guys, if so, any success, pictures???

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
AirTech is good stuff, used many of their products over the years. It is usually race weight fiberglass and will need to have a solid base to sit on so it doesn't flex/crack in use. It will require that you fab up mounts and your own seat cover/padding. So it isn't just a bolt on operation

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks for the reply. Been busy with work this summer, but finally bought a solo seat from air tech. I know I’ll need to fab somethin up for attaching to bike/upholstery. If anybody has an example they’d like to share I’d really appreciate it. No need to re-invent the wheel if someone has a bomber solution!
Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
Eldorado seats sell the cover for about $150 AUS. The AirTech base is not a Sport one, it's a later squarecase version. Road and Race in Australia usually sell the base but he's out at the moment. I want one too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ah good point Mike. Got lost in my own thoughts there. Change a GT seat? Just take it to an upholsterer and show them a photo of what you're thinking of and see what they can do. I can't recall many owners changing an original seat apart from buying the wide frame SS single version. If you do modify the original show us what you end up with.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I purchased this one from air tech- it’s made to fit the 74 750gt (wider). It’s just fiberglass and will need to be reinforced underneath to attach, and then I’m guessing I’ll use some sort of ABS plastic to make a mold that can be upholstered. Then that piece will attach to the reinforced base, sandwiching the fiberglass in the middle.
Does this sound about right??

also, I’ve been considering switching to a lithium ion battery, hiding it in the bubble behind the seat. I like the cafe/race look that can be achieved with side covers off, no battery visible.
Any feedback on these ideas would be great.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Lithium ion batteries (it'll likely be lithium iron actually) should really use mosfet regulators. You can also get a modern rotor for it, I put one in my 750 GT when it had charging issues but I don't recall who I bought it from now. If it were me I wouldn't bother with a lithium battery on a 750GT. The battery tray and side cover mounts will still be on the frame if you remove the side covers, unless you cut them off. That would be a hit to the value of the bike if/when you try to sell it.

I melted a lithium battery on my 851 when the old school regulator gave up the ghost, and the battery DID have a built in battery management system with "overcharge protection". Still killed it. The 851 now has a modern regulator...

·
Registered
168 Posts
You just upholstered it after you make (or buy) the 2 pin mounting plate that is attached at the front. 750 Sport seats used a separate seat base that hinged off the front because these frames had a 4 bolt attachment system. You can see it on the Airtech picture. The GT frame has the 2 prong system the same as the SS frame but uses a large Bakelite thumb screw instead of the the 2 coach bolt style side bolts used on the SS. The seat base once attached should be strong enough to hold any weight once it's fixed into place.

Bevel Rubber used to sell a kit (with the mounting plate) but it's not hard to make your own.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Morini35,

Airtech just arrived last week. I got the M-unit/ lights/buttons preliminary wired to test it out. Very rudimentary but good enough for testing. Once I run it for a while this summer and work out kinks I'll tear it all down this winter, paint, and perfect the wiring. I've attached some photos of the bike with the original orange tank and the air tech cowl mocked up. I guess I'm going to have to extend the fiberglass to mate up to the tank. I guess these cowlings are intended for those fancy SS tanks everyone likes to run. I want the cowl to extend all the way over the rear frame.

For the rest of the seat- I'm going to fab up the front mounts from steel to mate to bike frame, then reinforce the fiberglass underneath to support it. Once that's done, I'm going to use a sheet of HDPE and form it to fit from the tank pegs to the step in the fiberglass. Once bent up, I'll trim excess plastic and install a set high strength buttons that will attach the plastic to the fiberglass. Then I'll glue 2lb high density foam to the plastic and form it to how I want the seat to look. Then I'll have my local upholstry place wrap the foam/plastic unit. This should give me a removable cushion that will look really clean, as the vinyl will be wrapped and tacked under the plastic. That's the plan anyway. She's come a long way since the beginning and I'm stoked to get it out on the road for testing!

Also--I know these bikes came with black leather, but what do ya'll think about a darkbrown leather for this color combo? -- the cowl/fenders will match tank.

Thanks
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
A 1974 750 GT...square case??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.