Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys. I would like to replace the seat cover on my 750 GT. The previous owner had it reupholstered and it's OK, but very slippery. The other reason I'd like to replace it is because the PO cut out the "DUCATI" letters in vinyl and glued the to the rear of the seat. It actually looks fantasic, but the letters peal off easily. Here's a pic of my seat.

Any recommendations on where to get a seat cover? I saw that BevelHeaven has one but it's very expensive. There is one on ebay (From Thailand) that looks very nice and is half the price. Anyone have any experience with 750 GT seat covers? Is suppose it's possible the Bevel Heaven gets theirs from the same source?

Here is the one from Ebay : A202 Ducati 750 GT 750G7 1972 1973 1974 Heat Pressed Seat Cover Zava | eBay

Here is the one from BH: https://store.bevelheaven.com/Body-Dress-Up-etc/Seat-Cover-750-GT/

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks @Duccout. I'm curious as to how many manufacturers there are for this seat cover? Given the relatively low production numbers of the 750 GT, it seems unlikely that there are lots of companies making this thing.

I had a look at Road and Race. I'm not very keen on purchasing from them when their website asks people to

"Send an email to Road and Race including:

Make, Model and Year of your motorcycle.
A list of parts you require, including part numbers if possible.
Your credit card information:
Name on the card
Expiry Date
Card Number
Card Type (Visa, Mastercard etc)"

Who in their right minds would email anyone credit card information? That's Information Security 101. Surely they have a better way to order?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I have ordered a lot of stuff from Phil at Road and Race and have always been very pleased. I fax my details through to him though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks @Duccout.

I had a look at Road and Race.
Who in their right minds would email anyone credit card information? That's Information Security 101. Surely they have a better way to order?
Email Phil with your list and he will email back the cost. Phone him with credit card details. Works for me - Phil is a good guy.

Bill

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I actually bought a brand new seat for my 750, made by Phil - he made the base and the best seat restorer in the world, Tony O'Connor, made up the foam and covered it. What a fantastic seat! Beautiful and comfortable for hours of riding.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone have any pointers on how to replace the seat cover? I'd like to tackle it myself but don't know the best way to do it.

I rolled the dice and bought the seat cover from Pit Replicas in Thailand. ($100 shipped) Several of my Norton Club guys have purchased seats from them for their commandos and they are very well made. My 750 GT cover cam yesterday and it does look very nice. I will put up some pics assuming I can get it installed correctly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Here's where the dealers, like Bevel Heaven and Road and Race probably buy them so this is your starting point I guess.

960 Euro = $1072 US

Marmitte Conti

Road and Race doesn't make seat covers, he's a retailer like Bevel Heaven. He probably sells Thai ones as well but the main place both shops would buy seat covers is from Tony O'Connor at Eldorado seats. O'Connor set himself up years ago buying a vinyl welding machine so he could make perfect copies of the originals and these are regarded as the best replicas currently available today.

In Europe, the usual suspects like Mdina and Ducati Classics would probably source them from Mario Sasso at Old Racing Spares. Bevel Heaven uses them as well as does Herman, the guy on ebay. Old Racing Spares seem to be able to get absolutely everything including rocking horse shit but the prices depend on their mood.

750 GT-S-SS ? 1974 | Old Racing Spare Parts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Bought my seat from Oz guys well over 20 years ago and THINK it was these people and was told were NOS. But..? Had other bikes and only getting around to putting the GT back on the road this year. When I bought the Contis for very little. Will look around for a link to Eldorado.

What I find is O'Connor in Oz with great reviews.

·
Registered
241 Posts
OK, FWIW had a look at the seat covers for sale on Ebay (from Thailand?) The embossing on the top (and I think the material) are clearly different from the original -- and from the cover I bought from Oz. (Which does match my original seat). So either I do have NOS or someone down under is getting it right. Bevel Guys claim they buy from Oz.

EDIT: Ok so Phil Hitchcock at Road and Race Motorcycle engineering (the Oz guys) use O'Connor. And Bevel claim they buy from Oz.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Eldorado seats. The last time I bought one of his GT seat covers was about 6-7 years ago and they were $160 AUS then.

His contact details are :-
Tony O'Connor
Eldorado
1 Allen Avenue
Mt Barker
South Australia 5251
Ph 0400 707 767 (International +61 400 707 767)
Email [email protected]

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I bought a brand-new seat from Phil at Road and Race and it was faultless and superb, miles better than the factory seat. Phil made the fibreglass base and Eldorado did the rest.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Don't send your parts to Tony unless you want to wait more than a year. I've been waiting since last Christmas for my bodywork that was expected to take a couple of months and I'm not in the least bit happy with the situation. I've paid quite a bit for no result at all. I expect the work will be very good, but so far it's quite frankly the worst service I've ever had.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts