Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1972/1093 750 GT that has 9,xxx original miles. It was lisenced in 1973 but I believe made in 1972 due to the fact that it has Amal carbs.

It is it in good condition and I have all the original parts except for the air box. The engine runs strong and the cases have never been cracked, and the transmission is crisp and solid.

The only changes I have made are:
-The fiberglass tank got soft so I replaced the tank with a replica for Air Tech and match the color and decals.
-Replaced the rear shocks
-Added clip ons and bar end-mirrors

I want to semi-restore it and in doing so I do not want to do anything that might devalue it so I am looking for some advice. The only thing rough is the paint on the frame, otherwise it just needs a lot of time and polish and tlc. If anyone could comment, my plans are:

Repaint the frame
Rebuild the front Brembo brakes
Replace the ignition/coils
Clean up the wiring – it works fine but there are some weak spots
Polish all the aluminum and chrome

Thanks in advance. Cal

1974 Ducati 750GT
1976 Moto Guzzi Le Mans
1976 BMW R90/6
1999 Ducati ST4
2004 BMW K1200RS

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Sounds like a fun bike but I'm not really sure what you're asking...

I'd pull off the clip ons and put regular bars back on it. Otherwise keep it as original/stock looking as you can if you're afraid of devaluing it.

My GT is a late '74 version. It was in pretty bad shape when I bought it so I just built it up like I wanted it to be without really worrying about stock appearance. Nothing I took off was useable as is anyway - if the next owner wants it to look stock HE can restore it...

In any case, have fun with it!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Before you put fuel in the tank coat it with the Caswell epoxy fuel tank coating unless Air Tech has changed the fiberglass they use.It will be attacked by the ethanol in the fuel and will suffer the same fate as the original.I agree that you should keep it original as possible.The GT makes a much nicer bike to actually ride.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
You definitely need to fit electronic ignition. There are several types on the market, but make sure that you dispense with the points/advance retard. It will improve the bike no end.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You definitely need to fit electronic ignition. There are several types on the market, but make sure that you dispense with the points/advance retard. It will improve the bike no end.
Thanks. Is there a brand you recommend? The iginition is weak. With the battery and alternerator have enough current for a new ignition?

In addition, it appears that removing the engine and all the wiring and hardware for painting the frame is straightforward. Are any special tools required, of any gotchaas?

It has Amal carbs due to the fact that Dellorto was on strike at the time my bike was built...I'd prefer Dellorto but in keeping it correct should I leave on the Amals.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I've had a Dyna in mine for twenty years and it has been trouble free.Use the coils too.It is easy to fit and time.You will have to lift the distributor housing and retard[Ithink] the drive gear 1 tooth but thats not difficult to do either.If the Amals are in good shape they work pretty well and new ones aren't too expensive if needed.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I've had Lucas RITA on my 750 for 34 trouble-free years, but I believe that the Moto-Witt from Germany and the Pazon from New Zealand are new state-of-the-art systems.

If you wish to upgrade the alternator, there is a really simple fix. The rotor from a Ducati ST2 bolts straight on to the crank of the 750 and with the addition of a new regulator (about £100) the sharging is transformed. The ST2alternator uses rare earth magnets (whatever they are) and the magnetism is unbelieveable. I would guess that this simple mod gives around 200 watts. Unfortunately, I had to turn around 5 thou off the outside of my rotor, due to it just touching the stator, although I think that this is unusual.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You definitely need to fit electronic ignition.
Absolutely, should have mentioned that. I think the Dyna system I put on my bike was the number one best mod. Starts first kick dang near everytime and the timing is dead on (once you set it, it's not correct out of the box).

Regarding the carbs - if you want Dells on it, put Dells on it. Toss all the original parts in a box for the next guy. Things like shocks and carbs and brakes lines are all easily converted back if/when that becomes desirable to you.

BTW - Lucas stopped making the RITA quite some time ago. I prefered the Dyna anyway. As for the newer stuff, no experience with them so I can't comment one way or the other.

Here's a link to my site if you want to see what I did to my bike:
http://www.teamyikes.com/RC/RoundcaseHome.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
750 GT's

Nope, my mid year '73 also came with Amals. To put on Delortos' you will have to get different manifolds as well. Stick with '30's, '32's if you must, but bigger isn't always better. What's the engine number on it? That will tell when it was made. Also I am suprised Craig didn't tell you to join the Bevelheads list. Google Bevelheaven and there's a link to join there. Also google Ducati belt buckles to get to my web page, lots of pics of the 750 GT's that I have restored. Keep the rear shocks, but if you want to sell them I know a guy in Oregon who just bought a GT from a lister in Colorado and he needs shorter original shocks for it. Rita's suck, for a number of reasons, price, design, and more. A Dyna is the only way to go, that said, I still have stock points in 2 of my 3 GT's:) Easiest thing to do is just put new Bosch Blue coils in it, original stock coils were crap. The bracket that comes with them can be easily modified and they will mount under your tank slick as can be and look stock. Tom Rolland "Nothing flies like a Duck"

I have a 1972/1093 750 GT that has 9,xxx original miles. It was lisenced in 1973 but I believe made in 1972 due to the fact that it has Amal carbs.

It is it in good condition and I have all the original parts except for the air box. The engine runs strong and the cases have never been cracked, and the transmission is crisp and solid.

The only changes I have made are:
-The fiberglass tank got soft so I replaced the tank with a replica for Air Tech and match the color and decals.
-Replaced the rear shocks
-Added clip ons and bar end-mirrors

I want to semi-restore it and in doing so I do not want to do anything that might devalue it so I am looking for some advice. The only thing rough is the paint on the frame, otherwise it just needs a lot of time and polish and tlc. If anyone could comment, my plans are:

Repaint the frame
Rebuild the front Brembo brakes
Replace the ignition/coils
Clean up the wiring – it works fine but there are some weak spots
Polish all the aluminum and chrome

Thanks in advance. Cal

1974 Ducati 750GT
1976 Moto Guzzi Le Mans
1976 BMW R90/6
1999 Ducati ST4
2004 BMW K1200RS

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I forgot to mention; removing the engine is easy and no special tools are required. Just make sure you take both side covers off first, and the carburettors and exhaust. Disconnect the points wiring and then remove the top rear engine bolt. Put a hydraulic jack under the engine and remove the front engine bolt, then swing the engine down. The rear bolt can then be removed and the frame lifted off the engine.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Also I am suprised Craig didn't tell you to join the Bevelheads list.
Actually I was trying to protect him from the barbarians over there! :)

Hi Tom. I didn't know you hung out here. then again you've been here since September and only two posts? There are a bunch of GT posts here you know!

BTW here is the direct link for the Bevelheads list:
http://micapeak.com/mailman/listinfo/bevelheads

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trolland,

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep the Amal's on..had them sleeved a few years back. Also, I'll try the Blue Bosch coils first and if that does the trick, I'll stick with the stock iginition. Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pardon my ignorance, but are Bosch Blue coils "one size fits all" or is the a specific model I need?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Bosch blue coils are a somewhat generic part used on just about every aircooled VW ever made, so you can find them easy enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts