Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2006 749s demo, it had 1400 miles on it. I’ve put 500 miles on it in the last week, what a fun ride. During this time, I've noticed the engine vibration is pretty heavy starting around 5k and continuing to around 8k, then it kind of smooth’s back out. My S4R has nothing even close to the vibration like this bike.

To some extent, I expected more vibrations from the smaller displacement engine, and I'm certainly suggesting anything is wrong, I'm just not used to this much vibration, so I don’t know if its normal. What are your thoughts?

Another thing I have noticed, and this may be a result of me riding it like my S4R, is when I start it, some times it only starts with one cylinder, and only after blipping the throttle a few times, and getting a backfire or two, will the other cylinder kick in. For a bike with 1900 miles on it, I wouldn’t expect this to be normal. For the first hundred or so miles, I was riding it under 7krpms, and this may have caused some buildup on the plugs (fouling?). Anyone here have any experience with this problem? or am I just babying the bike to much, riding it like I would ride my S4R? I do try and let the motor rev up to the 9k range more now then before, but its still starting funny.

Thanks for any feedback, I really appreciate any help given.

Maurice

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
My thoughts are it is one of two things. 1st are the bar end weights still there? second, I'm not sure if the 749 is a counterbalancer engine, but if it is the counterbalancer may be misaligned. I'm no expert, but just my $.02...
I also assume the vibration is occuring when stationary. If it only occurs when moving and at a certain speed I would check tire balance.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I get a mild vibration in that range but I have a 03 base and have different cams so my bike may be different than yours.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I just came back from a 1,000 mile trip on my 03 749. I was attempting to keep it between 5K- 6K on the long boring sections to keep the mpg up.

I never noticed vibration while riding before this trip, but my right wrist started getting numb and basically my hand fell asleep! I'm not sure if this was due to the vibration or riding for a long time, or a combination of both, but yeah, it is slightly uncomfortable.

I just figured this was normal for a twin...on my old F4i my wrists would get sore, but never fall asleep.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing.. Mostly comes on at 7k Rpm, Have you found any solutions to your vibration? Mine has been there from the get go, I'm just now to the point where I can get it over 6K rpm (damn the breakin) It'll be in the shop on the 30th to get the sag set, I'll have them check into it while its there, Just wanted to see if anybody else had found any common problems with these engines vibrating. My 749D never did this. Ugh. Figures I'm signed up for a track day on the 2nd.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
red_ryder said:
I just came back from a 1,000 mile trip on my 03 749. I was attempting to keep it between 5K- 6K on the long boring sections to keep the mpg up.

I never noticed vibration while riding before this trip, but my right wrist started getting numb and basically my hand fell asleep! I'm not sure if this was due to the vibration or riding for a long time, or a combination of both, but yeah, it is slightly uncomfortable.

I just figured this was normal for a twin...on my old F4i my wrists would get sore, but never fall asleep.
+1 same here and I see it more on my 120 mile round trip commute to work and less in spirited riding.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
No problems here...but I just gotta ask a crazy question. How do you know only one cyl is starting and then the other is catching up later?? Stock exhaust?? Start the bike with no throttle and then check the exhaust to see what it's doing...that'll tell you if it's running on one cyl or not. If you truely had a fouled spark plug, it wouldn't go away. It'd run like crap all the time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bought a 2006 749s demo, it had 1400 miles on it. I’ve put 500 miles on it in the last week, what a fun ride. During this time, I've noticed the engine vibration is pretty heavy starting around 5k and continuing to around 8k, then it kind of smooth’s back out. My S4R has nothing even close to the vibration like this bike.

To some extent, I expected more vibrations from the smaller displacement engine, and I'm certainly suggesting anything is wrong, I'm just not used to this much vibration, so I don’t know if its normal. What are your thoughts?

Another thing I have noticed, and this may be a result of me riding it like my S4R, is when I start it, some times it only starts with one cylinder, and only after blipping the throttle a few times, and getting a backfire or two, will the other cylinder kick in. For a bike with 1900 miles on it, I wouldn’t expect this to be normal. For the first hundred or so miles, I was riding it under 7krpms, and this may have caused some buildup on the plugs (fouling?). Anyone here have any experience with this problem? or am I just babying the bike to much, riding it like I would ride my S4R? I do try and let the motor rev up to the 9k range more now then before, but its still starting funny.

Maurice
I have the EXACT same problem on my 2006 749S,
I have 3500 miles.
you ever find a solution?

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Mine is the same at 7 to about 8k. Just had the TPS adjusted (1900 miles) and did not notice it so much on the way home. Will watch for it next time I ride it.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Maurice

Was this all on the same take of gas or did you fill up in between. Mine did this to me the other day started vibrating at around 5000rpm and had no power and sputtered like it was on one cyl. I thought i might have fouled a plug or something so i pulled the plugs and they were both fine a little dark because my bike does run a little rich but nothing unusuall. The next time i filled up i went to my normal gas station and it ran 100% better no vibrations nothing. The station i filled up at has been known for having bad gas or filling up there 93 tanks with 87 or 89 (cheap bastards!!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts