Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I thinking about purchasing an '04 749s that has 6500 miles. I believe it's pretty much all stock except for a double bubble windscreen. This would be my first 4 valve bike, my previous bike was an SC1000. I do have a couple of questions for you experienced superbike owners.

1. What should I look for upon prepurchase inspection?
2. The S model comes with a solo seat. Can a Biposto seat be installed, or will I need a new subframe. I won't be touring two-up or anything, but my wife may be interested in short jaunts to Dunkin Donuts on occasion.
3. Anyone know if the S frame has the threaded lugs for passenger pegs.
4. What are the service intervals? What servicing should I expect to have performed in the near future?
5. Anyone know what the riding position is like relative to the Sport Classic?

I'd appreciate any info you can give me, thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
1: the normal stuff, nothing out of the ordinary with this bike

2: Yes, any 999/749 biposto assembly (subframe, tail, pillion pegs) can be retrofitted

3: Pillion pegs attach to Bip subframe

4: same as 999/749. '04+ S models have tapered valve collets a la 749R, so they change spec less often, but heads may need to be removed to change them

5: never rode an SC, but monoposto seat position is adjustable, as are the rearsets. It's a Ducati SBK, but more survivable than a 916 series SBK

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bella749. Anyone on this board perform a biposto conversion on an S model? What would I be looking at in terms of associated costs? It seems the S model has some nice upgrades over the standard 749, am I wrong? Should I simply buy a standard bi? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a 749D and decided to upgrade it . It was a lot of fun, but I spend a lot of money. The bike is amazing now as is close more to an R model.
I will buy the S model if i were you.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I converted my Biposto to Mono. When I sold off the parts back in '05 I got a fair sum for them. Now, however, I'd guess you can source the parts for a decent price... maybe $500 or so, give or take.

You need the biposto subframe, pillion pegs, and tail w/seat. Be sure toask the seller for a valet key for the seat lock.

IMO, the S is justified over the base if you do any track time, or if the price is similar to the base. If you just have it for the street, the base is great buy, especially for the cuurent going rates.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts