Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

Haven't been around much at all lately, life got in the way ;] Hope you all are doing well and staying safe on the roads.

Anyway, a few weekends ago I left my bike in a friends garage overnight and came back the next day to take back home, gas light came on and about 2 blocks later stalled out. Tried a few times to start her after leaving it off, and no dice. I ended up pushing around downtown LA about a couple miles to the nearest gas station. Filled with a bit of gas, and still no dice...so I ended up pushing it the few more blocks home.

I know my friend didn't take the bike out because a) I had the keys and b) she doesn't know how to ride so it's not something relating to the storage.

Has this happened to anyone else? I wanted to see if it was a simple fix, or if I should make time to tow the bike to a mechanic. I just don't have the time or access to fiddle around (don't have a garage or space to work on her at the moment) trying to source the problem. Basically when you turn the key, you hear the prime and then when you push the ignition, absolutely nothing happens.

My gut instinct is telling me the fuel pump has gone/is flying south, seeing as the bike has 8500 miles and hasnt been replaced (from what I vaguely remember, don't they need replaced every 8,000?). Having never worked on the fuel system on a Ducati, is this something I could fix relatively easily or should I find a tech to work on it? (Ive done numerous oil changes, brake pad, rear tyre swaps on her so im not a total stranger to mechanics) How much $$ are we possibly looking at?

Thanks for any info you could supply :cool:

cheers-

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
To check if it's the fuel pump it's simple. Turn the key on and listen to the tank. You should hear the fuel pump wherrl for a couple of seconds then stop when it build up pressure. If you don't hear it. Check the plug to the pump under the tank, I believe on the left side of the engine. It's a simple two wire plug and make sure it's still tight. Then try again. If you hear the pump start it's not the pump.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts