Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sitting for about 6 days, i got the bike out today to notice some strange clutch issues.

Went hard from neutral to 1st. When in motion, changing gears, i can feel a weird blip as i'm releasing the clutch lever as soon as a gear is selected. That's a new one for me? I pulled it back to the house, bled the system, same problem. I bled it again, flushed out all the old fluid, same problem.

Thinking Master cylinder?
I have an evoluzione slave cylinder, i pulled that- its a little wet around the piston with some residue from the little black gasket.

Also- is the pushrod supposed to be very stout in the case? I tried to twist/pull it a little bit and it seemed very stuck.

stumped...

·
Registered
654 Posts
The push rod should have a very small amount of drag as it
has two small o-rings near the slave cylinder side.
The push rod can rust up a little in the lifter pin which makes it difficult to remove from the
slave cylinder side,from the lifter pin/bush thats on the other side
fitted to the pressure plate bearing, this bearing should be checked to for any stiffness
or notchy action in turning.
The push rod can also crud up inside the gear shaft it slides/turns in so you
could pull it out and clean and grease it.

brian.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
YES.....should fell snug when you pull it out, shouldn't be stuck. It tends, as mentioned, to stick to the pressure plate.
Have you tried to burp the system thru the perch reservoir? Under the reservoir cover there's a little 8mm bleed screw. Try it here. Be sure to put a towel around the reservoir as the fluid tends to spit.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Did your clutch pack get wet....are the plates sticking? When you pull the lever in are you getting outward movement on the pressure plate. Anything leaking, any leaks at the actuation rod seal ring , is the actuation rod bent? O rings OK on the rod?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
couple pics of the slave below...

I got the pushrod to free up, however it only moved about a half inch or so. Pushed the slave all the way back in and rebled everything. Still acts the same.

Pulling the lever does push out the pressure plate, so it doesn't seem like its stuck. I had the clutch lever all the way in while shifting from 3-2, acted as if i didn't even touch the lever...

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Swap the Evoluzione slave for the OEM unit and see what happens. Looks like the Evo unit is blown or leaking...If you don't have an OEM slave you can pick 1 up on Ebay super cheap. I bought a back up w/ a few thou miles for $35 bucks. It was like new when I got it.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll give that a shot, i may have one in a box somewhere...

Think that would cause the weird bump feeling in the clutch lever when i change gears? I'm pulling the clutch pack this morning to check it out as well...

Appreciate the insight fellas.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
New bike to you and its got a slipper is what came to mind, that will work your lever around, soon as you let off it will feel nervous in the clutch handle. Just a far fetch. But if so the slipper clutch is working and is a good thing.
Remove the clutch cover and let us have a look (unless you already know of course).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New bike to you and its got a slipper is what came to mind, that will work your lever around, soon as you let off it will feel nervous in the clutch handle. Just a far fetch. But if so the slipper clutch is working.
Remove the clutch cover and let us have a look.
This setup hasn't been too bad, but it was a very very obvious "something wrong" feel haha. Hoping a new star spring fixes it up. Ordering another slave as well, i hate leaky things!

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
This setup hasn't been too bad, but it was a very very obvious "something wrong" feel haha. Hoping a new star spring fixes it up. Ordering another slave as well, i hate leaky things!
Glad its looking good, but you need to tell us its a slipper next time to help you quicker ;)
Maybe it was the first time you actually experinced it working LOL!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry- thought i mentioned that. My frustration overwhelms me haha. Hydrolocked the motor in my M3 this month as well.. it's been rough ;)

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
sorry- thought i mentioned that. My frustration overwhelms me haha. Hydrolocked the motor in my M3 this month as well.. it's been rough ;)
yadayada, I was at the strip watching nitros go by, drinking beer...
Ops by the way we got a new track here in sweden and new bike world records were set, not just for europe but goes for us too ;) as in world.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Glad its looking good, but you need to tell us its a slipper next time to help you quicker ;)
Maybe it was the first time you actually experinced it working LOL!
Tom's waaaay up there and the rest of us are waaay down here....:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha

**edited other post for correct part name- Spider Spring, bought one from Ca-cycleworks for about $30 shipped. Hopefully his helps out some folks.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
haha

**edited other post for correct part name- Spider Spring, bought one from Ca-cycleworks for about $30 shipped. Hopefully his helps out some folks.
While you have it apart, if it is a bearing type slipper clean everything very well, the hub, flange, etc. get all the old grease off the bearings, ramps and the slots where the feet of the spider spring sit. Get all the clutch dust off the clutch casing, basket, etc. Clean the clutch pack.
Then apply a little bit of grease on the ball bearing ramps and in the slots that the spider spring feet rest.
If you remove your basket IIRC they are 13mm torqued at 27ft.lbs. You should apply some loctite or Threebond sealer to the threads when re-installing them..
The big hub nut (32mm) is torqued at 140ft.lbs now some say it should be over 180-220ft.lbs....but mine has never come loose at 140. You can use a little loctite 262 in the nut.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts