Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
From what I know, the 749R will be easier to set up for the track and get right, but it is down on power by around 25-35, and around 25 lb-ft. So both set up properly would be great track bikes, and the 1098S would be faster in the hands of an experienced rider. If you are not extremely experienced, the 749R would probably be better at the track for you, probably even faster on it compared to the 1098S. But you know how good you are. The 749R is a collectors item as well, so something to consider.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In all honesty, 1098s is probably a better bike in most terms... It's certainly faster. It may be a little harder to set up for track (as with any bigger bike, it would handle "slower"), but for street, it is more user friendly. 749R has a pretty peaky power delivery (for ducati anyway) -- with almost nothing below 6K and with Termi exhaust even "worse". Lots more shifting and reving (though you may like that)...

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Depends on what you're doin' with it. Riding to the grocery store or tracking? I use my 848 for riding to the grocery store and getting around town, works pretty good... my 749R is for the track.

All opinions aside, they're pretty different bikes, built for totally different reasons. The 848/1098 are setup as street machines and likewise have a rear seat, gobs of torq for ease of use and everything just works well. The 749R can be unlocked very quickly and turn into a purposely built race machine without spending a dime! The 848/1098 need a great deal of work to get track-ready, from geometry changes to suspension valving/spring's, you've gotta do a lot, even on the "S" model, with Ohlins. But for the street, its not the best bike in the world due to its "peaky" nature, extremely hot exhaust temps and expensive service. The 848 is the perfect resolution, mama don't take my 848 away! ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
216 Posts
I own both.

They are really very diff bikes, both in feel, riding position, power.

And it may have been me, but I found the 749R more difficult to "set up" right for me on the track.

The question is, what will you be doing with them?

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
What year 749R?

For an '04 I'd drop the 1098 without hesitation.

For any other year I'd give the trade CONSIDERABLE thought based on the comments above.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What year 749R?

For an '04 I'd drop the 1098 without hesitation.

For any other year I'd give the trade CONSIDERABLE thought based on the comments above.
Aside from CF fairing and perhaps collectors value of first year production, what's the difference between 04 and other years?

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Aside from CF fairing and perhaps collectors value of first year production, what's the difference between 04 and other years?
Nothing as far as I know. Some of the 04's came with the carbon fairing stays, but some did not. The fairings on the 05 06 models were unique also. They were made out of a different plastic that is lighter than the normal fairing plastic used.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nothing as far as I know. Some of the 04's came with the carbon fairing stays, but some did not. The fairings on the 05 06 models were unique also. They were made out of a different plastic that is lighter than the normal fairing plastic used.
Yeah, i know about the plastic, and as far as i know there are no other differences. I was asking because Da_Bull seem to have preference in 04, where as i would normally have preference in later model years (work out bugs and such)

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
Yeah, i know about the plastic, and as far as i know there are no other differences. I was asking because Da_Bull seem to have preference in 04, where as i would normally have preference in later model years (work out bugs and such)
Yeah, the carbon fairings put people in a trance ;) There was a power difference, but I believe that is just because of where they rated the power, and in reality the motor did not change at all.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Since it is really designed as a track bike, Id say the first thing a lot of ppl do is pull the fairings off and replace em with track stuff.....so who cares what kind of fairings you have in bubble wrap in the closet?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Since it is really designed as a track bike, Id say the first thing a lot of ppl do is pull the fairings off and replace em with track stuff.....so who cares what kind of fairings you have in bubble wrap in the closet?
I agree with this. A lot of folks get worried about the fairing on the R bikes, but if I were going to the track they are coming off anyway for some sharkskinz (or other). I'd be more worried about it if it were a street bike with the CF body work. I am considering a 749 or 748 track bike (depends on which I can find). I am not sure I have the funds for an R and would be happy with a base and happier with an S.

G/L with your decision.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
To me, the carbon fairings are EVERYTHING. I'm wouldn't race it so while it may sound shallow, the BLING makes the difference to me.

The other differences are internal engine parts (like titanium valves on the 05 and later bikes). Again, that stuff really doesn't matter to me as much because I have no intention of racing the bike. For track work I'll get Sharkskins...

I would rather have the 04 749R but if I can't get one of those then I'll settle for an '03 999R. I'm a sucker for "first production" R bikes .

·
Premium Member
2,374 Posts
To me, the carbon fairings are EVERYTHING. I'm wouldn't race it so while it may sound shallow, the BLING makes the difference to me.

The other differences are internal engine parts (like titanium valves on the 05 and later bikes). Again, that stuff really doesn't matter to me as much because I have no intention of racing the bike. For track work I'll get Sharkskins...

I would rather have the 04 749R but if I can't get one of those then I'll settle for an '03 999R. I'm a sucker for "first production" R bikes .
I believe the titanium valves were a part of the 04 bikes as well. The motor did not change for the whole 749R range.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
i own an 06. great for mountain riding, not the city... but i think this is no different than any superbike. great stonking engine. below 6k not so much power... but it revs like crazy, and makes an awesome sound at higher revs. Power really comes on, and when "racing" in mountains (no judgement on that please) I can easily keep up with 1098 of friends... they take longer to put power down, and at high revs I'm accelerating at same pace. turns in like a dream... and not sure about higher maint/service costs. I don't pay any more than I did with my 749s, and in fact valves rarely need adjustment at service intervals. if you can get one.. do it.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
I believe the titanium valves were a part of the 04 bikes as well. The motor did not change for the whole 749R range.
Then, in my eyes, there's absolutely ZERO reason for me to own any 749R other than the carbon '04.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
The 749R has SOOOO many special parts that the 999R doesn't even have.

I've been buying parts trying to remedy an oil leak and every time I stumble upon a part I want, it happens to be a special 749R part. The 999R seems to have more in common with a 999S in comparison to the 749R. So yes, it will probably cost you more to service in the long run then lets say a base 749 or 999.

Even the clutch rod is different! EGADS!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
9,757 Posts
The 1098s is the big boss. Go ride one, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Mine is the best bike I've ever ridden. It felt pretty shabby until I set it up, but as soon as I had everything dialed in I was rewarded with telepathic feedback to go with the GOBS of torque. The fact that the bike gets better and better the harder you push it takes getting used to (it's freaking awesome). Where you'd normally expect things to start getting out of hand the harder you push, this bike just eats it up. Throw on a 30mm triple and things only get better.

I don't think it works very well as a street bike though. The super stiff chassis that demands a perfect setup but rewards amazing feedback is very numb and unresponsive at sane speeds.

Not having ridden a 749r I can't compare, but the peaky twin thing wore out pretty thin for me with my 748s. I also have DP carbon fairings on my 748s (just posted pics in the members rides section) and to tell you the truth CF fairings aren't really going to make you ride any better. Plus every time a bug lands on them you have a shit. Pure eye candy, nothing more.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
to tell you the truth CF fairings aren't really going to make you ride any better. Plus every time a bug lands on them you have a shit. Pure eye candy, nothing more.
They're not supposed to make you faster. They're the ultimate factory Trump card while bench racing.

"I can do a 1:20 at Laguna Seca on street tires." ... "Oh yeah? Well my bike has titanium balls and factory carbon fiber fairings." :D :rolleyes:

Flame suit <-- ON.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
The 1098s is the big boss. Go ride one, you'll see what I'm talking about. Mine is the best bike I've ever ridden. It felt pretty shabby until I set it up, but as soon as I had everything dialed in I was rewarded with telepathic feedback to go with the GOBS of torque. The fact that the bike gets better and better the harder you push it takes getting used to (it's freaking awesome).
I've now ridden pretty high-powered bikes on the track including the 1098 and the RC8. I agree, the torq is somewhat intoxicating and it makes the bike SO much easier to ride. You can screw up a shift and pretty much always be in the power band. The down-side (since you brought up the 1098 being the best bike you've ever ridden) is that the 1098 in its base setup actually needs a great deal of work to get good. I've got racer friends still struggling with stability issues and other's struggling to get the TC system working properly.

The 749R out of the box has all the parts you need, just need to know how to set it up. Its harder to ride on the track because of its very inline 4 screamer power-band, but at the same time, its very rewarding. I haven't done back-to-back on the 749R vs 1098, mainly because of my 749R's tire requirements (16.5) and the 1098 I've ridden was pretty much stock. Modified vs modified, I think the 1098 would put the 749R out of business. But to buy a modified enough 1098 where you'd see the difference, you could easily buy a used 749R and enjoy yourself on the track...

Side note; I do prefer the 848/1098's riding position, it is superior in many ways. I'll be glad when I get a 1098 race bike and ditch the 749R's riding position...

1 - 20 of 62 Posts