Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hate to sound like a noob but my search didn’t come up with a lot of real world comparison information. Rather than post information I’ve already posted I’ll ask that you read my introduction post in the new member thread in this section so you can get a little bit of a feel for who I am.

Now let’s see if I can get some controversy started. Which is going to be the better buy and better riding experience the 749r or the standard 999? I plan to buy new and I’m on a budget so I’m looking for the most bang for my buck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
You may want to provide some background info to make a suggestion.
But basically 749R is best for primarily track use out of the box. 999 may be better suited for road.
But this is not that black and white of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
(Welcome)

749R or 999 .... It's always the same man... the better bike always depends on what you intend to do with it, and what you want out of it. So, the ball's in your court.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
migz123 said:
Although that's not enough details, I saw you owned an 1100 before ... if you liked that, then save some money... the 999 is your bike.
If you're talking about my riding experience I've riden everything in my day, but yes I'm a liter class rider; though on the JAP bikes I do enjoy the more agressive riding posistion of the 750's. I hate that middle of the road type of riding posistion; it just puts too much pressure on my wrists, I much prefer being in a full tuck
 

·
Bobaganoosh
Joined
·
2,048 Posts
oO_Rogue_Oo said:
yes I'm a liter class rider; though on the JAP bikes I do enjoy the more agressive riding posistion of the 750's. I hate that middle of the road type of riding posistion; it just puts too much pressure on my wrists, I much prefer being in a full tuck
The 749 and 999 both have identical frames and riding postions. The only difference is in the powerplant. The 749 is a more rev happy engine, especially the R spec bike. Coming from Japanese litres, you might be disappointed with a 749. Like some of the guys have said, the 749R is a track monster. Plus full Ohlins suspension and other motor goodies. If your going to be mostly a street rider and used to Japanese 1Ks you may be the most happy with the 999...Just my 2 cents
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,235 Posts
chiromikey said:
i'm not going to beat around the bush like the rest of these politically correct pansies ;) ...749R all the way!!!
Oh yeah... that's what I'm talkin about!!

Click HERE for Ducati's Cheezy 749R video... and click HERE for an even cheesier one! And HERE for the cheesiest of them all ! :p

(Yes, yes, I know its time for some new videos, this is the last I promise)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well what I’m hearing so far is that on the street the 999 gets the nod. I’m realistic enough to know that the odds of me reaching the limits of the 999 handling any time soon are slim to none. I might get some better lap times out of a 749r on those 3 to 4 track days a year but the other 360 days a year on the street I’ll get more useable low and midrange grunt out of the 999. Makes me feel like the question was a LOT easier than I thought. I had read all the numbers and they seem to say the same thing; but then buying just based on numbers has never been a smart thing to do in my opinion; they rarely tell the whole story.

Thanks for the input so far guys; no need to let the thread die just yet; I’m still interested in hearing opinions and always wanting to learn more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
999 all the way

My previous ride was a BMW1150RT, the thing was nice for two-up and long rides, but a bear for city riding, narrow lanes, big SOBs, err, I mean SUVs, too heavy (700 lbs), weak power, tires cupping, oil thirsty, frankly I was dissapointed.

So I started looking. and was considering both the 749 and 999, their high price was not in my budget, however, until I found a good deal on a brand new '95 999 and that's all I needed to jump for it. I had been a Ninja and Hayabusa rider, always a litter plus bike. I'm not a track man, just an urban rider. I chose the italian job for the obvious reason, linear power, small, light, agility, easy to ride, good looks (some hate it). I ride it daily to commute. I'm very happy with it and gives me a big grin all the way :D

You will not regret it, however, if you still have doubts I suggest a test ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,563 Posts
As the owner of a 748R, I'd say you have to want an exotic and spend some time on racetracks to fully appreciate this type machine. Much of its charm is lost in pure street duty.
Most riders would do better with the 999, especially if you don't intend to do any track days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
waltman said:
My previous ride was a BMW1150RT, the thing was nice for two-up and long rides, but a bear for city riding, narrow lanes, big SOBs, err, I mean SUVs, too heavy (700 lbs), weak power, tires cupping, oil thirsty, frankly I was dissapointed.

So I started looking. and was considering both the 749 and 999, their high price was not in my budget, however, until I found a good deal on a brand new '95 999 and that's all I needed to jump for it. I had been a Ninja and Hayabusa rider, always a litter plus bike. I'm not a track man, just an urban rider. I chose the italian job for the obvious reason, linear power, small, light, agility, easy to ride, good looks (some hate it). I ride it daily to commute. I'm very happy with it and gives me a big grin all the way :D

You will not regret it, however, if you still have doubts I suggest a test ride.
Exactly the kind of riding I'll be doing 99% of the time; the 999 is starting to sound like the clear choice.

rz33v4 said:
As the owner of a 748R, I'd say you have to want an exotic and spend some time on racetracks to fully appreciate this type machine. Much of its charm is lost in pure street duty.
Most riders would do better with the 999, especially if you don't intend to do any track days.
I am very much into the exotic nature of the Ducati; there is just something about these bikes; a wow factor if you will. It would be so easy to just go pick up a GSXR1000 and they are very capable bikes but I'm tired of all the cookie cutter Japanese bikes. I don't think any of them can be made to fit quite so well as a Ducati that you've taken the time to set up properly. I guess I see the Japanese bikes as being mostly for hobbyists and the Ducatis as being more for enthusiasts or connoisseurs.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top