Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Fellow Ducati people

I have been driving my 749d for 3-track seasons here in Canada. I love this bike. It is so emotional a experience to drive it. I cannot help but look at this wonderful bike and smile. I don't even care about the money that I spend fixing it so that I can run it at full speed around the track.

I am looking to sell this bike and move up. I am VERY VERY interested in a 749r, but I am also interested in a 848.

Can you please give me your experiences with both these bikes (749r and 848) and help guide me on my path to the next Ducati.

I am looking for a track bike only, I don't really care about what happens on the street. However, I would like to buy a bike that I can convert back to a street bike so that I can sell that bike one day as well... maybe I will keep something with an "r" on it... but who knows.

What are these bikes like on the Track? How do they compare?
What are these bikes for maintenance? My current 749d is a handful, but I am happy to pay it !
What kind of smiles do either of these bikes bring to the owners ?

Who has ridden both these bikes? What are their differences?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I Own'em both and track'em both...

Umm, man... this is gonna lead into a mighty long thread! :rolleyes:

The 749R is very well setup from the factory (besides the huge fuel tank) for a racer. You can literally move the triples to the 30mm offset mode and extend the swing arm a bit and you've now got a bike with corse geometry! For the average track day guy, its a bit over-kill. The down side to a 749R or 999R is the wear and tear factor. They don't last that long as track bikes, 3000 - 5000 miles. They're also much more expensive to fix when they fail due to the titanium parts coving the inside of the motor. Crash it and blow up the motor, might as well get a payment plan on the rebuild. ;)

The 848 is a street bike, it works great from day one. I was shocked how good the brakes were and how nimble the little thing was. The 848 does feel lighter to maneuver then the 749R does STOCK. You can do some mods to the 749R to fix that, but stock the 848 is lighter. The suspension needs work, but for a few track days... I mean if your 749D is workin' for ya, the 848's suspension is fine. Also, the 848's motor can take the abuse a bit better and its less costly to re-build. Yea, you'll have to put in a slipper clutch and yea, you'll have to probably spend MORE money on an 848, but those spendings (yes I made up that word) up front will be worth while for the future.

So, having ridden both bikes I can say the biggest difference between the two is the riding position. The 749R's position, even with the smaller tank, is much more spread out. The 848's position is much closer, its a totally different way to ride a motorcycle, back to the old 916/748 days, which to be honest, I prefer over the 749/999 series.

I love this question:
If you can look under my helmet, you'd see a big one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdGTIjgPJSU

In the end; The 749R is an amazing machine for racers. But appreciating everything that the 749R offers, takes one hell of a rider, I'm still learning and I'm not that slow. The 848 is a bike you can grow into, you can buy a base bike, throw on a stabilizer, clutch and enjoy! The 848 is an amazing machine, you'll be learning it for years to come! :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Tye,

I have been waiting for your Ducati 848 Track review, similar to your owner's/ street review some time ago. When is this coming out?

Thanks for the reply I am still seeing where I can get a good deal. Right now, I can get a 749r bike for slightly less than I can get an 848 - so it hangs in the balance.

I Own'em both and track'em both...

Umm, man... this is gonna lead into a mighty long thread! :rolleyes:

The 749R is very well setup from the factory (besides the huge fuel tank) for a racer. You can literally move the triples to the 30mm offset mode and extend the swing arm a bit and you've now got a bike with corse geometry! For the average track day guy, its a bit over-kill. The down side to a 749R or 999R is the wear and tear factor. They don't last that long as track bikes, 3000 - 5000 miles. They're also much more expensive to fix when they fail due to the titanium parts coving the inside of the motor. Crash it and blow up the motor, might as well get a payment plan on the rebuild. ;)

The 848 is a street bike, it works great from day one. I was shocked how good the brakes were and how nimble the little thing was. The 848 does feel lighter to maneuver then the 749R does STOCK. You can do some mods to the 749R to fix that, but stock the 848 is lighter. The suspension needs work, but for a few track days... I mean if your 749D is workin' for ya, the 848's suspension is fine. Also, the 848's motor can take the abuse a bit better and its less costly to re-build. Yea, you'll have to put in a slipper clutch and yea, you'll have to probably spend MORE money on an 848, but those spendings (yes I made up that word) up front will be worth while for the future.

So, having ridden both bikes I can say the biggest difference between the two is the riding position. The 749R's position, even with the smaller tank, is much more spread out. The 848's position is much closer, its a totally different way to ride a motorcycle, back to the old 916/748 days, which to be honest, I prefer over the 749/999 series.

I love this question:
If you can look under my helmet, you'd see a big one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdGTIjgPJSU

In the end; The 749R is an amazing machine for racers. But appreciating everything that the 749R offers, takes one hell of a rider, I'm still learning and I'm not that slow. The 848 is a bike you can grow into, you can buy a base bike, throw on a stabilizer, clutch and enjoy! The 848 is an amazing machine, you'll be learning it for years to come! :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hahaha

I just called my mechanic and he laughed at me, knowing that I am a cheap-ass, the service on a 749r is 3x what I spend on my current bike.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I've not done an 848 track review, I stopped riding the bike on the track a while back and at this stage in my riding career, it would be too dangerous to go back on a stock bike and try to push it hard. My riding style puts a lot of faith in the bike and my particular 749R's setup is pretty confidence inspiring. But I was able to do average fast trackday group laptimes on the 848 no problem though, a slipper clutch would have been nice.

Finally, both bikes out of the bike are, well... ehhh, OK I guess. The only real catch is, the 749R's suspension is strange and to make it work, you've gotta do some modifications. The 848 is a pretty normal, every day setup, suspension guys will be able to help you with it and in turn, it might get tuned better because of that.

Ohh and 5000 track miles comes up quick... That re-build is like, might as well buy a new motor, expensive. I'm not saying the 848 won't kick the bucket either, but it will probably just need a bottom end re-build which is cheap, the 749R will need new valves as well. I'm looking forward to that as much as a root canal. LOL :rolleyes:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've not done an 848 track review, I stopped riding the bike on the track a while back and at this stage in my riding career, it would be too dangerous to go back on a stock bike and try to push it hard. My riding style puts a lot of faith in the bike and my particular 749R's setup is pretty confidence inspiring. But I was able to do average fast trackday group laptimes on the 848 no problem though, a slipper clutch would have been nice.

Finally, both bikes out of the bike are, well... ehhh, OK I guess. The only real catch is, the 749R's suspension is strange and to make it work, you've gotta do some modifications. The 848 is a pretty normal, every day setup, suspension guys will be able to help you with it and in turn, it might get tuned better because of that.

Ohh and 5000 track miles comes up quick... That re-build is like, might as well buy a new motor, expensive. I'm not saying the 848 won't kick the bucket either, but it will probably just need a bottom end re-build which is cheap, the 749R will need new valves as well. I'm looking forward to that as much as a root canal. LOL :rolleyes:
Ya the whole service thing is kinda of scaring me a little bit. I heard that it was really high as well. My Race-tech guy is super honest with me. He is saying that I should look into the 848 more for the practicality of being able to lightly modify some suspension. I will more than likely remove the Ohlins shock I have installed on my current 749d and take it to whatever new Ducati I am looking to get. As for the front end... maybe a cartridge kit??????

If you have a chance to spend all your money on a 848 please let me know, because a 749r/ 848 comparison would be great

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Keep in mind, the maintenance on a track day bike, is going to be significantly less demanding than on a racebike. Tye, I presume with the Nemesis you've raised the rev limiter?

Keeping the stock rev limit will keep service intervals in check. And, both the 848 and 749R valve train with taper-lock cotters will handle abuse better than the Base 749's wire cotters. The 848 will definitely have the edge between the two with it's milder cams. Invest in some tools, learn to maintain yourself, and have a good time :)

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Keep in mind, the maintenance on a track day bike, is going to be significantly less demanding than on a racebike.
Yea, thats very true...

Tye, I presume with the Nemesis you've raised the rev limiter?
Yep, 12,000 RPM total cut-off, 11,800 limit 2 and 11,600 limit 1. Thats about the best setup I've found.

Keeping the stock rev limit will keep service intervals in check. And, both the 848 and 749R valve train with taper-lock cotters will handle abuse better than the Base 749's wire cotters. The 848 will definitely have the edge between the two with it's milder cams. Invest in some tools, learn to maintain yourself, and have a good time :)
Yea, the taper-lock system is much better! I always forget about that! ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Maybe this is a dumb question, but why wouldn't you just keep the 749d for the track?

Do the forks, shock and add a slipper....should be pretty well set up for track day use, and it will be set up for you.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe this is a dumb question, but why wouldn't you just keep the 749d for the track?

Do the forks, shock and add a slipper....should be pretty well set up for track day use, and it will be set up for you.
Well, the bike is in great condition and it would do well on the used market. The longer I drive it, and the longer it is tracked, the less money it will fetch me in the end. Also, the longer anything lives on the track, enviably, it is going to cost a lot of money (ie. engine rebuild).

I would rather sell this bike to a street user where they would have a great time with it knowing that it is mechanically solid rather than keep it too too long and have something mechanically go wrong on the track.

Also, I would like to move up a bit in the HP zone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts