Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we have been racing this 749 turbo for a few years now , and each year it seems to get refined. First time it was going to be twin turbo, but there was so much plumbing and pipe work that we ended up scrapping that idea. The weight of the bike was just getting heavier and heavier. After all it was a race bike we were building not a street bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Well we have been racing this 749 turbo for a few years now , and each year it seems to get refined. First time it was going to be twin turbo, but there was so much plumbing and pipe work that we ended up scrapping that idea. The weight of the bike was just getting heavier and heavier. After all it was a race bike we were building not a street bike.

Uhhhhh, .... oooookaaaaaay? I guess?:eek:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So after the twin turbo idea was shelved, we ended up mounting a single bigger turbo up the back of the bike where the standard muffler would be. Connecting the turbo to the engine was a modified full race system.

·
Registered
552 Posts
That looks serious. Why run a 749r? 1098 put you in a different bracket? It obviously wasn't done to save a few $$$ :)

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the side of the engine that houses the mechanical fuel pump,remote starter,crank trigger and airshifter

Also another massive feature of the bike is the custom alloy swingarm and alloy wheelie bars

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That looks serious. Why run a 749r? 1098 put you in a different bracket? It obviously wasn't done to save a few $$$ :)

Yeah it was to race it in a certain class. It is a weight per 1000cc deal.
Because we are three quaters of a liter ,we only need to be three quarters of the weight.....and we can just up the boost to make more power

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then we removed the turbo from the rear of the bike and mounted it under the swingarm. Running smaller exhaust pipes and an external wastegate, the power went up by 25 BHP and I think we ran a best of 8.95 at 150mph

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2nd bike is a 650hp turbo busa so coming from a fellow drag racer I can say COOOOOOOOOOLLLL! I love the concept! So unique and you don't see that at ALL! Nice work!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
It's kind of funny how the more you complicate a bike the simpler it looks to work on. Love it!

Also, it's pretty crazy that a smaller exhaust made more power on the turbo. You always hear, no exhaust is the best exhaust for a turbo.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I love unconventional and awesome and this is both. Keep up the great work. 8's is moving crazy fast with a 750 vtwin. Have any videos?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's kind of funny how the more you complicate a bike the simpler it looks to work on. Love it!

Also, it's pretty crazy that a smaller exhaust made more power on the turbo. You always hear, no exhaust is the best exhaust for a turbo.
That old saying is still true ! We made the headers smaller (from the heads to the turbo) and this is what made more power and had the turbo spool up faster.

As for the dump pipe (that is the one that you would connect the muffler)

...none is the best and bigger the better

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love unconventional and awesome and this is both. Keep up the great work. 8's is moving crazy fast with a 750 vtwin. Have any videos?
Its really fast for a ducati and like you said only 750cc. Here is a video from a nights racing where it got into the 8.7"s at 158 MPH.

Also here is the ignition system that we run. Nearly can weld with it !!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My 2nd bike is a 650hp turbo busa so coming from a fellow drag racer I can say COOOOOOOOOOLLLL! I love the concept! So unique and you don't see that at ALL! Nice work!
The bussa has big grunt already being a 1300cc. The poor old 750cc has no flywheel or big engine capacity ,or anything heavy in the engine to rotate up to speed to act as stored energy. When the clutch was dropped and to get it off the line it was very prone to stalling or flaring the clutch.

We drop the clutch at full throttle on a lower rev limiter at 8,500 on about 7psi boost.About 1.5 seconds later its running 22 psi boost and has a hell of alot more power than it did at launch.

We change gears at 10,500 so the small 2,000 rpm window and a big variance in power called for something special in the clutch department !!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pneumatic lock-up clutch......PATENT PENDING !!

Check this thing out !!

Fully computer controller pneumatic lock-up clutch. You can have zero pressure like having no springs in your clutch, or have 150psi sent to the clutch and it is the same as very heavy springs or a lock-up clutch with centrifical load being applied.

This single part/system took our bike from stalling every 3rd time or so,and replacing clutch plates and inspecting every pass..... to being very consistant and bought our P.B. down from a 8.95 to a 8.68 !!

My friend has a turbo bussa and we plan to develop a kit for his bike too.

Compared to the normal clutch systems used in drag racing ,it is like comparing a carby to the adjustability of electronic fuel injection.

I got it patent pending too, and boy was that a mision for a normal human to try and do !

Attachments

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nice work figuring out the clutch. Glad you got a patent coming on that. What is your patent titled? "Power control device" or something similarly goofy?

The patent process really isn't for regular humans. The USPTO has invention seminars and all of that to get more inventors to file Apps, but the first thing they send you if you file as a sole inventor without an agent is a form that suggests you get an agent :). What a system!
Full disclosure - I am not an attorney, but I work at an IP Law Firm and I stayed at a Holiday Inn the other night :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So as this years season aproaches I'm upto the next generation of the build and upgrades.
Once again the turbo is on the move ! From the back ,to the middle under the swing arm, and landing now at the front...

Weight saving are the goal this time around!!

Benifits of this latest revamp is that I saved 1.4 kg in exhaust header weight, 1.4 kg in the turbo oil sump/pump that was needed because turbo was mounted so low.Also the new turbo housing made by Tial is half the weight of the original saving another 1.5kg. The .5kg steel turbo dump pipe is no more and is replaced by a unrestrictive alloy unit that has 10mm alloy rod cross in it to catch turbo wheel if failure occurs (part of our rules).
Off to do the intake into the turbo now and some more alloy plumbing.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts