Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 749R for track only use.

The motor is stock other than a full system and PC3.

I had the valves and belts done last winter.

Other than oil changes what preventive maintenance should I be doing after a year of track use, probably 12 days or so?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Well, its all about how you abuse it. If you're not very abusive, you should be fine and the normal oil changes should be all you need. If you heavily abuse it, you could wind up needing new valves and a bottom end re-build after 3-5k miles. I've seen 749R's run for thousands of miles without an issue, heck I've done 5000 race miles this season already! :eek:

Anyhow, any motor that's abused will fail quicker. The 749R/999R just has one thing more then most motors; LARGE titanium valves. The seats of the valves themselves actually fail very quickly when set to perfect clearances. I guess if you like leaky valves, you could make the valves last longer by keeping the clearances looser, but that's obviously not the goal.

Ohh and what I mean by abuse is; Buying a nemesis, setting the RPM rev limiter to 12,000 RPM and letting the motor sit at 12,000 RPM at regular intervals whilst racing. Yea, thats how ya kill motors quick! I can say this now because I've already won my championships, so if the bike fails, oh well... Its gonna need a rebuild anyhow! ;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, I dot have a higher rev limiter or nemesis. I bang it off the limiter, but hey, thats what its there for ;)

I guess the real question is....do I have the valves checked or nah....

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Yea, I really didn't answer your question... sorry. :(

You should do regular maintenance every season. I tend to replace the belts and check the valves. All fluids I do bi-monthly or if they start to get dark. Modern Synthetic oil's can run 1600 miles at 100% perfect viscosity, so you really don't have to change it THAT much. Break/clutch fluid has a pretty poor shelf life, so it goes back quickly if not monitored.

Otherwise, I maintain the clutch plates, break pads and other wear related items on a week by week basis, just to insure they're in good shape.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I really didn't answer your question... sorry. :(

You should do regular maintenance every season. I tend to replace the belts and check the valves. All fluids I do bi-monthly or if they start to get dark. Modern Synthetic oil's can run 1600 miles at 100% perfect viscosity, so you really don't have to change it THAT much. Break/clutch fluid has a pretty poor shelf life, so it goes back quickly if not monitored.

Otherwise, I maintain the clutch plates, break pads and other wear related items on a week by week basis, just to insure they're in good shape.
frig. really didn't want to deal with it, but I guess its worth while in the long run.

·
Registered
57 Posts
what kind of brake pads do you use Tye? How many race weekends do you get out of a set?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
My break history is quite interesting...

Started with Ferodo 211's, great pads for tracks with lots of breaking, not so great when you don't use the breaks much.

I ditched those and moved over to the Carbon Metallic pads from Performance Friction. These pads were better, lots of bite and they seemed to work under any circumstance.

This past weekend I went back to Ferodo XRac pads, which are my first "sintered" pad experience.

WOW! HOLY SHIT WOW! Ok, now thats a break pad. I've never been able to do stoppies and I never understood why. These XRac pads are perfect in every way. They work in the heat, they work when you're not using them much, they just seem to work all the time, no matter what. I'm extremely happy with them and can't ask for any more.

My pads usually last 4 weekends, thats roughly 200 laps or so.

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
Tye, you should try a set of Vesrah RSJL pads. They bite hard and warm up quickly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an 06 749R for track only use.

The motor is stock other than a full system and PC3.

I had the valves and belts done last winter.

Other than oil changes what preventive maintenance should I be doing after a year of track use, probably 12 days or so?
At the least, I'd check/adjust the valves and replace the timing belts.

On my 749R racebike, we completely went through the engine each off-season -- new bearings, piston rings, belts, clutch plates, etc. At the end of the second year, we did all of that and replaced all eight valves, the pistons, and the rod bolts. The Ti rods were "align bored" (per Bruce Meyer's recommnedation) rather than replaced as the high-dollar teams do.

We discovered the cases lasted about two years before they'd crack. Pegram & Boulder Motorsports were replacing them every 500k. At $5,000 a set, that wasn't in our budget, so we kept an eye on them and replaced them when they cracked. Luckily, each time I felt the bike start to vibrate and shut things down before it got ugly.

This is on a 749R with 848 Pistal pistons, balanced crank, ported heads, and stock cams, running the DP full Termi ECU and Power Commander, only 500 rpm past stock redline. Each season is usually 6-8 race weekends (including Friday practice), along with 3 or 4 track days.

I've raced Ducatis for over 10 years and have learned the hard way that it pays to spend a bit more in the off-season. When parts break inside an engine, it gets expensive fast. On an engine like the 749R, it gets *really* expensive *really* fast. Scrimping on maintenance is false savings. Plus, we travel up to 2,000 miles round trip to race, so you have a lot of money invested just showing up to the track. Add in entry fees, etc. -- not to mention running for class championships -- and suffering a mechanical DNF makes for a really expensive, and frustrating, weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts