Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I recently picked up this 2006 749R. Dash lists the mileage as 993, so very low miles. With such low miles, the bike seems to have some issues and odd things done to it. I am attempting to restore it to near stock, with only useful/tasteful mods only. I will be posting my progress here, hoping those with more experience can chime in and make sure I don't do anything stupid. :)

I bought the bike knowing it would need work and may have had a troubled past. I can't believe someone drilled the fairings for the frame sliders! :(

First issue I had was with the clutch, trying to ride around the block. It looked like the cover was disengaging too far allowing the plates to slide out over the basket!

I pulled the clutch to discover it had a Surflex system installed. I reordered the plates to match what the Surflex diagram suggested. However, it says the thickness should be 40.8mm without the dished plate, I measured 43mm.. Not sure whats going on here or if I should swap out to thinner plates..

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It had an aftermarket lever that i adjusted that brought in the cover gap, very unusual, at least nothing like I've seen before.. Anyway, I adjusted it and the gap seems to be where it should now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now the more concerning issues. The exhaust was bashed up pretty good. I am hoping I can send these out to get straightened. I don't want to try the freezing water method and end up splitting the pipe. Can anyone tell me what exhaust this is? It appears to be the 57mm Termignoni full system.

Now onto the oddest thing I have noticed so far...Three holes drilled and tapped into the frame, why?? :confused:

It is also missing the stock coolant reservoir and has the MotionPro coolant overflow

And here's how she sits at the moment..

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EDIT: Nevermind, the basket is possibly fine. The stack thickness is way off if it looks like that... Does the last pic have the springs mounted? Pressure plate should compress the whole shebang together. There should always be a steel plate against the pressure plate.

There are some nice bits on the bike :)
It does compress and engage, that pic was with the lever pulled in to show the disengaged gap.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It also has a Brembo 19X20 master with Braketech rotors and RSVR Factory calipers. He is sending me the stock calipers just to have..

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
There are two 57 mm systems. You have the “banana” system. The silencer looks like the stainless version to me, but it’s hard to tell from the photo (at least for me). Weigh it and I can compare to my SS and Ti versions.

The air runners appear to have been replaced with CF aftermarket versions, hence the missing overflow tank. The air box appears to be OEM though, so finding original air runners should be easy.

No idea on the drilled and tapped frame. Personally, I’d have them welded up and then repaint the frame.

Best of luck with the project!

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
The 06 749R had standard 749/999 fairings, rather than the carbon fairings of the earlier version. So, while it’s a bummer that yours were drilled they can be replaced fairly easily. You’ll likely need to re-decal and paint, which is not ideal, but at least the fairings are readily available.

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
Hi all. I recently picked up this 2006 749R. Dash lists the mileage as 993, so very low miles. With such low miles, the bike seems to have some issues and odd things done to it. I am attempting to restore it to near stock, with only useful/tasteful mods only. I will be posting my progress here, hoping those with more experience can chime in and make sure I don't do anything stupid. :)

I bought the bike knowing it would need work and may have had a troubled past. I can't believe someone drilled the fairings for the frame sliders! :(

I have never been a fan of the XX9 bodywork... but take their clothes off and they are drop dead gorgeous. The welded swingarms from '05 on are in my opinion totally butch and sexy as fuck... surpassed only by the D16. Zero idea what those three tapped holes are for, but agree completely with @FourRings, get those things welded closed, ground, finish and repaint or coat. Not only do they represent a danger for potentially introducing corrosion in those areas, they most likely weaken somewhat the trellis structurally as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still just cleaning and inspecting everything. Discovered the front and rear axles are Mettec titanium, I think these things retail for $500 ea.

Took the rear wheel off and inspected/cleaned everything. All looks good, definitely seems more dirty than a bike with <1000 miles should be, so still a little suspicious... AFAM rear sprocket and NCR titanium rearsets, and looks like a DID chain..

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Looking at the pictures, all the non standard parts fitted, drilled holes in the frame.....do you think the very low miles is real? It just does not seem consistent with pictures and info.

Can it be a bike made for track use and only used for a short period of time as such and build back to road bike with dash refitted?

Maybe it’s just me?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
The bike is over 10 years old so even with low miles things can get slightly shitty. I don't see any reason why the miles wouldn't be legit. Is there any part that suggests otherwise? Holes in the frame are just odd. Maybe he/she had something installed on it and after removing just put bolts there? The dents in the exhaust pipes are mysterious too. Maybe it hit the pavement somehow?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Took the front rotors and calipers off for inspection and cleaning. All looks good.

Took out the battery tray and noticed the heat shield was in backwards and was banged up. Fixed it up and put it back in the correct way.

Notice some corrosion near a coolant line, looked superficial and cleaned up with a wire brush.

I also opened up the air box..What a pain in the ass that was. Everything looked ok in there.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts