Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
i don't think there's anything offered by ducati that the 749r doesn't have...well except a 999 motor. :)

short answer...yes.

·
Registered
184 Posts
yeah im pretty sure the "S" and the "R" are adjustable

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The 749R is the only Ducati that not only has an ajustable steering angle (24.5º/23.5º), but also has an ajustable triple clamp (36mm/27mm).

And i have one :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
MV_999R said:
The 749R is the only Ducati that not only has an ajustable steering angle (24.5º/23.5º), but also has an ajustable triple clamp (36mm/27mm).

And i have one :D
I have a 749R and I didn't know about the triple. Now what exactly does that do?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
c5367ss said:
I have a 749R and I didn't know about the triple. Now what exactly does that do?
From what I know adjustable triple clamps are used to adjust the position of the bars fore and aft, usually in dirt bikes. Not sure about for superbikes, and I didn't know this is possibile one the 749r (?) ...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just checked my user manual. It doesn't say anything about an ajustable triple clamp.

I have been thinking about switching the steering head angle to 23.5. Then again, it turns in easily enough for me, and I love the stability.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
c5367ss said:
Just checked my user manual. It doesn't say anything about an ajustable triple clamp.

I have been thinking about switching the steering head angle to 23.5. Then again, it turns in easily enough for me, and I love the stability.
Nope, the manual says nothing about it.

But with the ajustable triple clamps you can have the 23.5º angle AND keep the stability ;)

http://speedzilla.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14132

·
Registered
53 Posts
MV_999R said:
Nope, the manual says nothing about it.

But with the ajustable triple clamps you can have the 23.5º angle AND keep the stability ;)

http://speedzilla.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14132
I've been researching this, but I can't find anything about how to change the offset. Did you ever end up changing your geometry? How did you change the offset?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
c5367ss said:
I've been researching this, but I can't find anything about how to change the offset. Did you ever end up changing your geometry? How did you change the offset?
Well the only instruction i have about it is this "Take the clamps off and you will find you have an adjustable set of offset triple clamps. (the 749R is the only bike with these) This will take you from the stock 36mm to a better turning in and more feel 27mm setting. The steering tube is two piece. All you need to do is rotate the outer tube 180 deg and it will be at 27mm. Once you see it it will not look so hard."
I thought about doing it "myself" with some help, but ended up putting the bike at a dealer to make the change. The bike is there right now.
If you check the 749R triple clamps diagram page on the parts manual (you can d/l it from ducati.com) and confront it with the 999R same diagram page for instance, you'll see the steering tube is a two peice on the 749R and maybe that helps you understand it better.

Mind that the offset change should only be done if you changed the steering angle (to 23.5º) too and, after all is done don't forget to "Set the forks in the upper triple clamp with just the fork caps poking out (basically flush). Do not set them any further up, you will risk touching the radiator with the front tire under braking."

I can't way to try it with this new geometry set up :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts