Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than hijack someone elses thread I figure it's better to ask these well thrashed questions here. I never paid any attention to them before but as a new 749R owner ... well almost, gotta finish paying for it first, I'm keen to get as much info as pos so I can start playing.
I've pretty much seen the lists guy's such as Tye have itemized as to what they have done, and they seem quite reasonable because nobody seems to do engine mods, thankfully.
My one will need a new ECU so I figure a Nemisis would be the best start but how much better are these than a stock unit ?
I also gather 57mm pipes are a great upgrade (whats the stock size) and the Corse race cam timing.

With those mods what sort of genuine hp gains are there to had. Evidently, my soon to be in my eager hands 749 has 110rwhp completely stock.
I've heard of 127 from these ... how???

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have read that 54mm does better with these then the 57mm. The Nemi is great as long as you can afford it and have a good tuner.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The nemisis is a great start and the 57mm from what ive seen is the only way to go . the 54mm works great on my S but for the R bike itd the 57mm.As far as motor work well its just how much do you want to spend. We just put 100mm pistons in mine so making it a 853 cc bike.Before that was done the motor just had the corse race kit which is heads cams and a few other cool parts. Balanced crank ect. we also changed the gearing in the tranny so 2nd threw 4th is like riding a bazooka. there is alot of talk about riding these 749R's and if they are as good as a 999 or a 749s . Well i have a 749s and its a great trackday bike.does everything you need and can still out ride myself and im sure most people out there. But the R is by far the coolest beast i have ever throwin a leg over. It rock's from when it was stock to the current shape it is in now.i have some what of a itemized list but over time i sort of gave up .at the end of the day they are a huge money pit but when you come off a corner ringing its neck its worth every penny..... My bike was making close to 136 on the dyno .we are running the new and improved motor next week. I will post what it is making When we get done with it.
Ducati Corsa Billet Clutch Piston 966205AAA
Ducati Corsa Electronic Gearchange 96509903B
Ducati Corsa Ergal Belt Rollers 96426802B
Ducati Corsa Ergal SPKT 38T 520 96835103B
Ducati Corsa Ergal SPKT 39T 520 96835203B
Ducati Corsa Ergal SPKT 40T 520 96835303B
Ducati Corsa Ergal SPKT 41T 520 96835403B
Ducati Corsa Fairing Stay & Wire Harness 96971903B
Ducati Corsa Fuel Filler Cap 96958703B
Ducati Corsa Magnesium Clutch Side Casing 969624AAA
Ducati Corsa Magnesium head cover kit, rear - alt. side 96429303B
Ducati Corsa Magnesium head inner cover kit - timing side 96439303B
Ducati Corsa Light Alloy Clutch 968317AAB
Ducati Corse Racing Kit 96444404B
GP Suspension
Leo Vince Exhaust FAC
Power Commander III
RK GOLD 520 Chain
Section 8 Superbike 3 GAL fuel tank
SharkSkinz
SpeedyMoto Anodized Clutch Springs
SpeedyMoto Clutch Cover
SpeedyMoto Water Pump Cover
Swing Arm Sliders
Throttle cam system
Titanium hndlbr rsv cvs
Zero Gravity Windscreen
Ducati Corsa titanuim motor bolt kit
749R 850cc kit

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
Ducati Corsa Billet Clutch Piston 966205AAA
Ducati Corsa Electronic Gearchange 96509903B
Ducati Corsa Ergal Belt Rollers 96426802B
Ducati Corsa Ergal SPKT 38T 520 96835103B
Ducati Corsa Ergal SPKT 39T 520 96835203B
Ducati Corsa Ergal SPKT 40T 520 96835303B
Ducati Corsa Ergal SPKT 41T 520 96835403B
Ducati Corsa Fairing Stay & Wire Harness 96971903B
Ducati Corsa Fuel Filler Cap 96958703B
Ducati Corsa Magnesium Clutch Side Casing 969624AAA
Ducati Corsa Magnesium head cover kit, rear - alt. side 96429303B
Ducati Corsa Magnesium head inner cover kit - timing side 96439303B
Ducati Corsa Light Alloy Clutch 968317AAB
Ducati Corse Racing Kit 96444404B
GP Suspension
Leo Vince Exhaust FAC
Power Commander III
RK GOLD 520 Chain
Section 8 Superbike 3 GAL fuel tank
SharkSkinz
SpeedyMoto Anodized Clutch Springs
SpeedyMoto Clutch Cover
SpeedyMoto Water Pump Cover
Swing Arm Sliders
Throttle cam system
Titanium hndlbr rsv cvs
Zero Gravity Windscreen
Ducati Corsa titanuim motor bolt kit
749R 850cc kit
:eek:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've just printed that list of mods, thankyou jrockcolours, and will be sending my order into Ducati Corse asap ......... yeah right !!!!!!

But, all the same, thanks heaps. It's at least set a standard that can be achieved and possibly a goal if I ever stumble onto a pot of gold.

I will, however, keep my eyes wide open for any of those goodies should they come up for sale at bargain prices.

I imagine that your bike would be similier in spec's to what Larry Pegram was running ??

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
You might want to consider the Leo Vince Corse Ti exhaust :D With the nemesis you will be able to fine tune everything really well. Add the larger air runners (Motowheels sells them) and race filters, time it right, you can see the 120's. The 848 AMA kit makes it a beast, realistic numbers at the wheel of 135 horse (easily made) and 70-72 lbft torque. You are going to love this bike man!

Attachments

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
You might want to consider the Leo Vince Corse Ti exhaust :D With the nemesis you will be able to fine tune everything really well. Add the larger air runners (Motowheels sells them) and race filters, time it right, you can see the 120's. The 848 AMA kit makes it a beast, realistic numbers at the wheel of 135 horse (easily made) and 70-72 lbft torque. You are going to love this bike man!
The Leo Vince is a very nice exhaust. I don't think it's aesthetically pleasing as the termi, but it sure sounds a lot nicer.

Why haven't you put your front end to the 30mm offset and fast rake setting? You are really missing out by having it in the stock position.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
The Leo Vince is a very nice exhaust. I don't think it's aesthetically pleasing as the termi, but it sure sounds a lot nicer.

Why haven't you put your front end to the 30mm offset and fast rake setting? You are really missing out by having it in the stock position.
I have always loved the Leo over the Termi personally. The termi just has the stock look to it, and I have never liked the overall shape of the factory can. Just my opinion. The Leo has been known to make a couple more HP over the Termi, and it weighs a couple or so pounds less ;) Also, the corse termi exhaust that is used on the factory race bikes is almost the same shape and design as the Leo Vince, and if you don't like that exhaust, well I just don't know... :D

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
My bike was making close to 136 on the dyno .we are running the new and improved motor next week. I will post what it is making When we get done with it.
Yea, I'd be interested to find out what you guys get. I can't do a 100mm piston kit, due to racing regulations out here. But I can do RS cam's, intake manifolds and heads. Though the down side is; The motor will only last around 2k miles because to get that extra power, you really have to rev it a bit higher then normal. You'll also need a Nemesis to manage that extra revving, the DP Race ECU kinda blows because its not as easily adjustable. Also, the RS cam's are only good for around 5rwhp. You can easily get that much power out of the larger airbox and Nemesis.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your input guys, and to your advice DPG. The exhaust, nemisis and air runners seems like the best initial mod to go for. Unfortunatly the 100mm kit will make the bike ineligable for the class I want to race it in, unless I cheat :think: ......... to be honest, I will never win those races anyway so I may as well :D.

And yeah, I can't wait to race it, but it will be next season (for us) before it's ready.

Just have to make do with my 996RS till then :)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yea, I'd be interested to find out what you guys get. I can't do a 100mm piston kit, due to racing regulations out here.

It kind of sucks here, the classes in wera are more or less like a open superbike so you are running with 1098's , 848's ect.There isent a middleweight twins class. Unless you want to run 600 superbike and well thats not a great deal of fun .
I wasent real keen to jump in to the 853 kit but it will be something differrent than what i have done before.I got a full season with a bunch of track day's out of what was a great motor.The bike was way fast and super realiabe. Know that im on the east coast and had a new shop build the motor we will see what its got. One nice thing is i have the S bike so if the R motor goes boom atleast i can still finish the race weekends.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just have to make do with my 996RS till then

I'd rather have that RS than my R any day of the week. that is not only a amazing machine its got to be the best looking bike on the planet... i had the privledge to ride a guys 996 rs and his 748rs at thunderhill raceway in CA. And well that was what started the whole ducati thing for me.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
It kind of sucks here, the classes in wera are more or less like a open superbike so you are running with 1098's , 848's ect.There isent a middleweight twins class. Unless you want to run 600 superbike and well thats not a great deal of fun .
I wasent real keen to jump in to the 853 kit but it will be something differrent than what i have done before.I got a full season with a bunch of track day's out of what was a great motor.The bike was way fast and super realiabe. Know that im on the east coast and had a new shop build the motor we will see what its got. One nice thing is i have the S bike so if the R motor goes boom atleast i can still finish the race weekends.
Yep, I now that drill! I race WSMC and WERA, but I'm quick enough at the WERA tracks that, even with the 1098's out there, they don't get away from me that quickly. Last WERA race weekend, I was the fastest in the twins class, but because the grid was so small, my dumb-ass didn't sign up for the race because I wanted more of a challenge. Woops! That was a guaranteed race win that I missed! :eek: So instead, I spent the weekend racing with inline 4 600's. Ohh, that was a joy! Starting from the back of the grid (no points in 08) and whittling my way forward... but not getting to far! BLAST!

I'm still searching for a spare 749R motor, so I can do the same thing you're doin'... just toss in another motor when mine goes poof. Only catch is, I'll turn my "spare" into an RS! :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm still searching for a spare 749R motor, so I can do the same thing you're doin'... just toss in another motor when mine goes poof. Only catch is, I'll turn my "spare" into an RS! :D
I havent seen a R motor for ever so im thinking of just picking up a 999 motor and building it up. Now that i have the 749S i will only use the R for sprint racing so i should fair pretty well on putting time on the motor. Our first race is this weekend at VIR, but i will be at a wedding in seattle so that really sucks... but summit point wera round is in to weeks. i will see what im facing then.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I'd rather have that RS than my R any day of the week. that is not only a amazing machine its got to be the best looking bike on the planet... i had the privledge to ride a guys 996 rs and his 748rs at thunderhill raceway in CA. And well that was what started the whole ducati thing for me.
Probably need to clarify the 996RS bit ....... it's a bike I have built up from parts sourced from all over, not a factory built unit. But, other than the corse shower injectors which I just couldn't afford so stuck with my 60mm older style corse ones, it's all pretty much as close to an RS as I could get.
A few of the extras over all the usual corse race stuff are

Pierobon frame
Genuine WSBK factory engine used by Bayliss at Brno in 2001
WSBK forks c/w fully adjustable triples
Motec ECU
Stack dash
60mm Sil motor Ti exhaust
A trick little thumb brake setup I modified .... great to use on those right hand sweepers ... my feet are too big to get onto the brake lever when lent over.

The reason I want a F2 bike (ie 600's, 750's, 675's etc) is simply for club days. Basicly, racing an F2 bike gives the option of races in both classes .. F2 and F1 (superbikes) which gives me 6 races in a day as opposed to 3.

I built a very tricked out 748 last year from my spares exactly for that reason but this is what happened to it a few weeks ago .... only used it twice !!!!

http:/www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/image.cfm?c_id=9&gal_cid=1502757&gallery_id=104647

:eek::eek::eek:

So that's why I decided to grab the 749R that came up for $10KNZ !!!!!!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Probably need to clarify the 996RS bit ....... it's a bike I have built up from parts sourced from all over, not a factory built unit. But, other than the corse shower injectors which I just couldn't afford so stuck with my 60mm older style corse ones, it's all pretty much as close to an RS as I could get.
A few of the extras over all the usual corse race stuff are

Pierobon frame
Genuine WSBK factory engine used by Bayliss at Brno in 2001
WSBK forks c/w fully adjustable triples
Motec ECU
Stack dash
60mm Sil motor Ti exhaust
A trick little thumb brake setup I modified .... great to use on those right hand sweepers ... my feet are too big to get onto the brake lever when lent over.

The reason I want a F2 bike (ie 600's, 750's, 675's etc) is simply for club days. Basicly, racing an F2 bike gives the option of races in both classes .. F2 and F1 (superbikes) which gives me 6 races in a day as opposed to 3.

I built a very tricked out 748 last year from my spares exactly for that reason but this is what happened to it a few weeks ago .... only used it twice !!!!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/image.cfm?c_id=9&gal_cid=1502757&gallery_id=104647

:eek::eek::eek:

So that's why I decided to grab the 749R that came up for $10KNZ !!!!!!

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Same with me... My 749R is competitive in 4 classes a day and can race in up to 7, which is WAY more then I can physically do in a given race day anyhow. Lucky for me, there are very few "superstock" classes where I race, mostly everything is supersport or unlimited.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same with me... My 749R is competitive in 4 classes a day and can race in up to 7, which is WAY more then I can physically do in a given race day anyhow. Lucky for me, there are very few "superstock" classes where I race, mostly everything is supersport or unlimited.
Obviously we don't have the numbers to make up multitudes of classes. Basicaly, club days are F1,F2,F3, 125's/150's, clubmans and one or two more I can't think of.
Only a few clubs run a Twins class and there is also some BEARs racing. I want to keep my 996RS purely for BEARs racing and race the 749R in the other club stuff which is against the 600's etc. Like I said earlier ... I don't expect to win but I'm there cos it's just what makes me who I am.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts