Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents looking for a base line, ride height measurement (eye to eye) for my up coming 999s race bike mods. I have the 749R link, tie rod and re-valved shock on route. This will be used with my new 27mm triple clamps set on 23.5.
Is there a better combo ??? Will i need to push back the radiator for clearance or just the fairing?? along with the BST's and Brake-Tech iron rotors the old 999 is ready to fight with all those big bore newbies.
OzBearacing boys look out I'm coming back to Oz in Apr.

Skirt Boy

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Tye, looks like I need the Ride height tool (whos got one for sale??).

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
There are various ride height tools around so make sure when comparing numbers they are from the same tool. I have the ride height tool from DoS and run 253mm of ride height with their tool.

You also need to factor in the tire size as each manufacturer uses different diameter tires.

·
Registered
156 Posts
sorry if this is going off on a tangent but i've seen a suspension link available from both motocorse and ducshop for the 1098/848 bikes. is there an after-market source for a flat-rate suspension link for the 749/999 bikes?
i've been considering this as a potential upgrade to my bike but (from what i've seen) parts rarely come up for sale and are usually snapped up before i know about it.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
The ride height tool is the way to go. But, FWIW, my rod length eye-to-eye is ~235mm with 253mm ride height w/ the DoS tool.

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
sorry if this is going off on a tangent but i've seen a suspension link available from both motocorse and ducshop for the 1098/848 bikes. is there an after-market source for a flat-rate suspension link for the 749/999 bikes?
i've been considering this as a potential upgrade to my bike but (from what i've seen) parts rarely come up for sale and are usually snapped up before i know about it.
IIRC, the 749R link isn't too expensive from Ducati.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
When looking for proper geometry, you have to take in several factors.

1. Trail. Probably the most important as many people describe it a feeling the front end. If you are running the 23.3 degree rake, you need to determine the trail numbers after the change. Typically stated by Ducati puts the number at 91mm. Far too little for racing and will result in you not knowing how far to push the front until it decides to make you do the Iggy shuffle thru the gravel.Since there are several different types of triple clamps out there, which are you using? Some are built to allow the forks to be pushed down an additional 10mm, which raises the front height the same amount(better flick-ability due to higher CoG) and an extra (approximate)2mm of trail. So in theory, even with a very steep rake, you would have very good stability and (good feel) while going thru the turns. My fuzzy math says approximately 102mm of trail which is about what the World SBK guys run(not factoring the rear variables).

2. Rake. Don't always live in the sharpest is the fastest. Keep your stock triples and create chassis numbers to work with them for the longer sweeping tracks. The extra stability of the 24.3 degree rake(subsequently only 3mm of trail less) would be like riding on a Cadillac and giving you the confidence to haul ass out of the corner.

3. Ride height. Plays a big part in how your bike will react with the suspension and how it affects the other end of the bike. Raising the rear will shorten the steepen the rake(fork angle only) and shorten the trail. This will make the bike turn faster at the cost of front end feel. Alot of guys decided with the 848 the way to make it work better is to lower the rear end. A certain AMA guy was doing it and mentioned that he was advised to run it this way to one of the local racers I was helping. This turned out to be the worse thing that could happen as he increased his trail slightly, giving him a false sense of confidence, but also reduced his ability to turn faster, along with lowering the center of gravity of the bike. The problem was never really fixed as the trail numbers were still too low to keep the bike safe in race conditions. He didn't determine what the rear problem was, and by ignoring the real problems, he unfortunately ended up on his head more times than one.

4. swingarm length. Big in helping out the bikes ability to maintain a stable line when onthe gas, out of corners. A short swingarm length will result in you not being able to get on the gas earlier and harder than you want. A short swingarm length + early on the throttle = JLo special at Laguna Seca.

5. Rider height/weight/style. How tall are you, how much do you weigh and what style of riding are you(big on the tank, big leaner, etc).

Point is, don't use static numbers that everyone else use. Determine your bikes baseline and fix it from there. And definitely NEVER measure eye to eye for ride height.

Sorry about being winded on this one. Benn couped up in the house all day with the flu and I'm FARKING bored! This probably means my writing and sentences make no sense too. I blame the drugs. :D

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yes, the 749R link is about $250 from Ducati (cast piece) so we just use them and shorten the 999 link rod 40mm on a lathe then set the shock up to suit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts