Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me with certainty if the 999R frame is the same as a 749R frame ?

I have had my 749R frame checked and the headstock angle is not right ... reads 25.7 degrees instead of 24.5.
I'm trying to decide whether it's going to be cheaper to pursue a mint 999R frame that I can get for reasonable dollars or get the 749R one straightened.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I do believe they are the same. Give the forum more than 3 hours to answer, people have jobs ;) Someone will pipe up shortly that knows definitely.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do believe they are the same. Give the forum more than 3 hours to answer, people have jobs ;) Someone will pipe up shortly that knows definitely.
13hrs actually .... but point taken. The time diff gets a bit confusing with daylight saving etc. Do you guys actually have daylight saving there ?

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
13hrs actually .... but point taken. The time diff gets a bit confusing with daylight saving etc. Do you guys actually have daylight saving there ?
My bad, I read PM not AM. Yes we do, haha.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I think the frame itself is the same. The differences are in the triple tree that allows you to change the offset on the 749R and in the rear shock link.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
that and your insurance will be more since you will be insuring a 999 frame...so the insurance company will consider it a 999 even if there is a 749 motor in it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I am 95% sure they are the same. My 999R frame specifications are on this laptop, the 749R ones are on paper with the bike, will check tomorrow morning and advide.

The rear shock and linkage are different (the 749R has the better setup).

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that and your insurance will be more since you will be insuring a 999 frame...so the insurance company will consider it a 999 even if there is a 749 motor in it.
Not an issue as it's a race bike only, but definitly a good point if it ever does go back on the road.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am 95% sure they are the same. My 999R frame specifications are on this laptop, the 749R ones are on paper with the bike, will check tomorrow morning and advide.

The rear shock and linkage are different (the 749R has the better setup).
It's been interesting to note just how confused most of us on this issue.
So far only two have conclusively stated that they are the same .... the seller ... and Chris Boy.

But without doubt I will be fitting all the trick 749R parts on ... it's just the frame I need to replace as mine is bent. :(

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Why not get an S frame? They are more adjustable with respect to rear sets.
Or go for a Pierbon frame.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why not get an S frame? They are more adjustable with respect to rear sets.
Or go for a Pierbon frame.
Mainly ...... no, totally, due to money .... specifically to ensure bang for bucks.
But also time.

The time period and the cost to get my 749R straightened and to get the 999R frame I have my eyes on are very similier.
But ... I would prefer to have the 999R frame due to it's mint condition.

There are some differences between the S and R frames and I believe weight is one of them. But I would not discount that option.

I have a gorgeous Pierbon frame on my 996 Corse, but I picked that up after the 996's had done their dash, so it was cheap.

I don't even know what a 749/999 pierbon goes for but doubt it would be cheap. Worth looking into though.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
On my PDF brochure from Pierobon it says that the Racing frame for 999 cost only 435 euros + taxes. I'm not sure if there is an error on the brochure, but that's what it says. It's from 2007, but I guess the prices stay the same.

And yes, I even re-checked the brochure to be sure.

·
Registered
180 Posts
435 Euro for frame:eek: you sure that is not the front instrument frame or rear subframe as that seems ridiculously cheap?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Here's a 999RS frame from Bursi. They usually have a Pierobon frame listed but none right now. I don't know who the manufacturer is of this particular one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUCATI-999RS-TE...ash=item58808cde30&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

From memory the Pierobon frames for 999 is around 1500 Euros.

Kiwi Ed, If you can get the 749R frame straightened properly that may be better as you'll at least know its straight. Not that I've ever heard anything about frames from Ducati being "factory fitted" bent.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
435 Euro for frame:eek: you sure that is not the front instrument frame or rear subframe as that seems ridiculously cheap?
Well, it says the frame and there is the part number and also picture of it. Probably just an error and the real price is somewhere close to 2000 euros like said above.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The 999R and 749R frames are identical, according to their factory service manuals respective sections on frame measurements.

The 999S frame is the same as the garden variety 999 frame, a whole different item. 435 Euro sounds like a front subframe, when I looked into an RS frame, it was about 2000 Euro. Not so bad, a NCR RS frame in titanium was about $15,000.

The key is to get the RS frame with some "street" brackets added so you can run your stock airbox and radiator. Pierobon should know what you need.

With my RS spec 999 engine I run into cooling issues, I want to run the RS frame so I can run the RS radiators. Eventually,when you calculate the cost it makes more sense to buy an RS.

I have bought stuff from Chris Boy...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts