Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was finally able to get the 749R to the track. I mounted new Dunlop NTEC slicks using tire warmers. It looks like to me they are tearing differently than any other tire i have used and don't know what I need to adjust in my suspension to correct this problem. The bike handles really well but the steering head is raked all the way out and fells like I should bring it back towards the bike to make it more responsive but the bike will take any line I want just have to work it a little harder. I was under the impression that the rear adjustable linkage was linear and should make the rough parts of a track a little smoother but it still feels like it needs some help there also. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I plan on getting it to the next track day that has a suspension guy to help sort out my issues. Other than that the bike is great and for the first time on it I'm running consistent with previous lap times on all my other bike, actually a second faster but I know a couple of tweaks and a little more seat time is going to help a bunch.

Thanks,
J.D.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Tye, I think I definitely got something going on in the rear that needs to be changed to save me some life on my tires. If they looked like that at the end of the day without warmers it would be a little easier to live with but not right.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Looks like you're running very low pressure and the tire is bouncing on the ground a lot. This causes those lines and bumps on the tires because with low pressures they over-heat and that causes the rubber to melt just a tad.

I run at one of the dirtiest and bumpiest tracks in california and slide the bike around constantly, especially under breaking. So when you see my tire wear below, thats from a VERY abused tire with an 8 lap race on it.

At 180 degree's F off the warmers, I run 28psi at my track. This keeps the tires from over-heating too much. I usually get into the 200's degree's F when coming off the track. At other tracks where the surface is perfect, at 180 degree's F off the warmers, I tend to run 24psi. This allows for the tires to get up to temp quick and hold that temp for longer periods of time. Tire pressures are critical.

Also, that stock shocks spring rate is pretty harsh, if you read through the other thread on the 749R suspension, there are clues about changing the stock spring rate and getting some more life out of the stock shock. I also think re-building it is a wise idea...

Here is what my tire wear looks like:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hopefully it is just an air pressure issue. I went with what Dunlop spec sheet says which was 21 in the rear cold. Actually I had probably 19 and the temperature outside was 65. I never even rechecked them when hot or between sessions I was just having so a good time and great grip.I ran 31 in the front as recommended and it has normal wear.:confused:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I aim for 25 lbs hot pressure on my Ntec rears (999R - DOT and D16RR - 16.5" slick) and they wear beautifully. When I raced a 749R in 06 we ran the slow settings on the front steering stem, 185mm from the bottom of the lower yoke to the bottom of the fork outer slider. I would have to check the rear setup we used.

We did not get to that solution ourselves, we chased setup a lot and completely messed up the bike until the local Ducati importer enlisted the help of a chassis engineer at Ducati Corse. He gave us some baseline specs and the thing was on rails.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I aim for 25 lbs hot pressure on my Ntec rears (999R - DOT and D16RR - 16.5" slick) and they wear beautifully. When I raced a 749R in 06 we ran the slow settings on the front steering stem, 185mm from the bottom of the lower yoke to the bottom of the fork outer slider. I would have to check the rear setup we used.

We did not get to that solution ourselves, we chased setup a lot and completely messed up the bike until the local Ducati importer enlisted the help of a chassis engineer at Ducati Corse. He gave us some baseline specs and the thing was on rails.

It feels like it is on rails right now, I don't want to screw with it too much because I always seem to make things worse. I will start with increasing the tire pressure until I make a track day with a suspension guru.

·
Ducati Ambassador to the Vatican
299 Posts
Great looking bike, who makes the fairings? Where did you get em.

·
Registered
216 Posts
What size tire are you running?

I ran the 195 for a season.....loved the grip and feedback, but the bike was SOOOO friggin tall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts