Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am thinking about new trackday project and I am looking at 749r as the best object to work with. I have used my 748s for that, but now it is really underpowered to compete all japs. As I have seen here are some forum membres that are using 749r on tracks. Could you tell me what are the disadvantages of those 750cc testatretta engines? Is it true that you have change titanium con rods and valves euch 5000km?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Ya know, to be honest, I'm probably not the best person to talk with about buying a 749R because MY 749R is nothing close to a regular bike. Its also a serious race machine and likewise needs serious maintenance. I can answer your questions though...

The 749R motors come a bit tight from the factory, loosening them up is one thing that will save your bottom end in the long run. You don't need to replace rods or pistons on a regular basis, its mainly bearings and on the 749R, the valve seats actually flair over time and can leak. So if you're like me and really abuse the bike, 9 times out of 10 between 3k and 5k miles, those valve seats will be toasty. On the standard 749/999, this isn't a problem because they rev less and of course, don't have those HUGE titanium valves.

In the end, my 749R is one hell of a machine. I've had pro's on 848's, not keep up with me because my bike has so much more power. I think if I were to buy a track bike right now, I'd just get a 749S or 999S, stick with the cheaper bikes and go have fun. The R's have a limitation on parts as well and they're super costly to service... so those two things are a natural turn-off. :(

Love my bike, but will eventually pay dearly for it to stay in top-notch condition.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
I've been around for a while now and I'll say that from what I've read over the years, the 749r is about the BEST track bike out there. If you're doing track days, it will be reliable and last a long time.

Like Tye said, he has a different perspective as he wrings the neck on his 749r as he's a serious racer.

For track days, you'll have one of tghe best bikes out there. Hand built motor, handling that is unbelievable, brakes, bigger tank....it's the ticket pal....

Just learn to do your own valve adjustments and you'll be fine..

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It has always been my belief that a 749R was only meant for the track.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hail the King!

In 2005 the 749R was thee cutting edge bike that Ducati produced, of all their production line bikes that year. Many racers sought suspension items from the 749R for their 999R's that year.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
749s suck IMO. Get a 748R ;)
I am a big fan of 916 family.748 with 749r engine would be the best. But such project would take too much time and money. Best way to get so much hp from 750cc and not to invest too much money would be to buy salvaged 749r.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I am a big fan of 916 family.748 with 749r engine would be the best. But such project would take too much time and money. Best way to get so much hp from 750cc and not to invest too much money would be to buy salvaged 749r.
If you can find a salvaged 749R, I'd be shocked. They're very rare bikes and usually get treated very well by there owners. Unless they're ex track bikes and then get parted instead. :(

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
494 Posts
Tye ....... you were giving me some grief late last year about offering up my 748 race bike for a few race days here in New Zealand. Click onto this link and check out how it went.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/image.cfm?c_id=98&gal_cid=1502757&gallery_id=104647

As a consequence of the above I was forced to consider my future options !! Well, I've been lucky enough to find a 749R which hasn't done alot of track time (racing), 8hrs I'm told, but had a low side into some trackside puddles. The ECU is apparently kuput so the bikes not going .... price was $10KNZ, a little more than $5KUS, which I hope is a good deal.

It's stock, so I'm thinking of a few mods so any suggestions would be appreciated.

So I guess I'm lucky ....... and unlucky !!!

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Ohh, thats no good! Was it your bike that started the fire? The other bike looked pretty charred as well. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, thats just not fun.

I wouldn't buy any motorcycle that has been crashed and doesn't run because of a "kaputt" ECU for REALLY cheap... yea, sounds like total BS. The 749R's do have a deep sump motor, which helps with keeping oil in the system after a crash, but its a HUGE risk. Getting parts for a 749R is like pulling teeth, so if you rode it for a few months and the motor went pop, you're looking at a LOT of money to get it fixed. With that said, $5KUSD for a 749R, no matter what the condition, is a good deal, I personally don't take risks like that anymore.

Here is what I did to mine and its a pretty decent machine. With the exception of the 16.5" wheels (unnecessary & came with the bike) everything else I've done to it is pretty standard and what I'd consider "necessary" to win a championship, which is what I plan on doing.

-749R Blueprinted motor w/race cam timing
-Nemesis ECU w/O2 sensor & Full auto-tune
-Falcon Digitek Dash w/Integrated XT lap receiver
-EVR Airbox w/custom filters
-Motowheels slipper clutch w/STM 30.5mm slave
-Leo Vince 57mm titanium full system
-Marchisini 10 spoke 16.5” magnesium wheels
-Ohlins SBK valved front end
-Ohlins SBK rear shock
-Ohlins steering dampener
-Brembo 4 pad/pot calipers w/ Ferodo 211 race pads
-Brembo ultra-light SBK, fully floating rotors
-Brembo brake and clutch radial master’s w/fold-up levers
-Ducati corse aluminum subframe
-Sharkskins fairings w/carbon fiber tail section
-NCR Titanium gas cap
-NCR Titanium clutch cover
-Slingshot racing rear sets (reverse shift)
-Renthal 1/4 turn throttle w/thin walled bar's
-Renthal full sprocket kit w/Regina 520 x-ring chain
-Double Bubble wind screen
-SpeedyMoto under fairing, bar end and swing arm, sliders
-Custom battery box with light-weight battery
-Custom wire harness, power on/off and ignition switch

And just ordered; EFI Fuel cell... (3 weeks wait... :( )

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
What is different on the 749R rear link that the 999R doesn't have?

I have never saw a 749R so I have no idea.
The 749R is a totally different machine then the 999R. Different, multi-adjustable steering stem, rear link (uses a different part of the shocks valving to make it more linear), larger fuel tank (for endurance racing), short-stroke high-revving 750cc motor, slipper clutch standard, aluminum subframe. They look pretty much the same, but in operation, they're very different.

·
Registered
241 Posts
What is different on the 749R rear link that the 999R doesn't have?

I have never saw a 749R so I have no idea.

What Tye was trying to explain is that the 749R uses a shorter ride height link and a different shock rocker (Flat) that does allow for a linear suspension rate. The shock is different as well as it is valved to handle the different rate of movement. (Full travel) How does it work? It means that the forces remain the same no matter how far the rear suspension is compressed. A stock Progressive rate suspension becomes stiffer the more the suspension is compressed.
Rear shock spring rates are different as well....

·
Registered
494 Posts
Jeez Tye, that's an impressive list of mods. I think if I counted what I did to my 996RS it would be similier but that made me broke.

The crash in the link was not my doing .... in a bunch 2nd corner from the start and the lead bikes went down ... about 6 or 7 bikes in all but my c/f tank got ruptured by a footpeg ... as far as I can tell.

The 749R is being sold by a very reputable bike shop. They had a sponsored rider on it but got sick of him binning the bike so sacked him. They've made it public, via forums here, that it's been apart and checked over. They're just to busy to do anything else on the bike so decided to market it as is.
I doubt I'm being conned ....... they have way to much to lose in our small racing community. I'm also pretty good friends with their other sponsored rider.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Get it get it get it get it get it!!!!!!!! Even if you had to put 3K into it (US) it would be more than worth it!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts