Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand the adjustable rake that comes on the S model bikes (24.5 - 26.5 degrees), but can someone please explain this adjustable offset triple clamp deal to me in more detail? I understand that this adds another eccentric to the stering head.

Being that only the 749R has it (not the 999R), I'm having a hard time finding any detailed information about what benefit this actually has and what this will actually change.

Apparently it's adjustable by 27 - 36 degrees iirc.

A visualization once I get the bike will obviously help me out tremendiously, but until then I'm trying to understand it in my head.

This bike can't get here soon enough...hehe

·
Registered
56 Posts
The older bikes have it too, so you'd think there would be plenty of info out there. My 916 has it as well. I'm not 100% sure how it works either, but Doug Polen told me something about something being flipped around to change the rake. I'm not really sure what it is though. :confused: All I know is that he told me, in short, that I'm not fast enough to have to mess with it. :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
What timing! I have Doug's old 999R and just installed a set of 27mm triple clamps on it yesterday. I could feel the difference just pulling out of the dealers lot. As soon as you turn the bike feels more stable.

Gotta run but just do it, it feels much better. Others I am sure will chime in.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Offset triples make a huge difference.

I am not someone who understands motorcycle geometry very well, and if you don't, and plan to run the bike hard, I would recommend working with someone who does to get it set up right.

You need to get the right combination of adjustments so that it is turning in as fast as it can but still giving feedback from the front end before you are sliding on your ass, and still stable at high speeds......

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Offset triples make a huge difference.

I am not someone who understands motorcycle geometry very well, and if you don't, and plan to run the bike hard, I would recommend working with someone who does to get it set up right.

You need to get the right combination of adjustments so that it is turning in as fast as it can but still giving feedback from the front end before you are sliding on your ass, and still stable at high speeds......

This is all a given and I already have someone lined up for this, however, I'm not the kind of person who can just blindly hand the bike off to someone, tell them what I'm feeling and be done with it. I have to know what's going on. I feel that with a better understanding of what they will be adjusting and what's going on i will be able to better understand exactly what I'm feeling.

I've always been this way.

Rather than pester them with these questions before I even have the bike, I wanted to post up on here and see if I could find some information, as well as have the information posted up for others to benefit from...and it's quite apparent that not too many people have a grasp on what the purpose is exactly.

·
comrade moderator
26,770 Posts
...it's quite apparent that not too many people have a grasp on what the purpose is exactly.

Jan, I would recommend you do some searches on this site about your triples. I think you'll find a whole bunch of good information here. You're not blazing a new path...the information is out there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This is all a given and I already have someone lined up for this, however, I'm not the kind of person who can just blindly hand the bike off to someone, tell them what I'm feeling and be done with it. I have to know what's going on. I feel that with a better understanding of what they will be adjusting and what's going on i will be able to better understand exactly what I'm feeling.

Rather than pester them with these questions before I even have the bike, I wanted to post up on here and see if I could find some information, as well as have the information posted up for others to benefit from...and it's quite apparent that not too many people have a grasp on what the purpose is exactly.
Sorry, I thought you were asking specifically how the offset triples work, not what the purpose of them is. In short, the less rake you have, the quicker the bike turns in, but the less stable it is. Inversely the more rake, the slower the bike will turn in, but the more stable it is. You're basically trying to find the best balance of the two.

·
Registered
216 Posts

Actually, most people who have done any research about them and own a bike with offsets know quite a bit about what the purpose is. The purpose is to increase the trail.

And I got news for ya, if you don't know what an offset triple is for you have no business setting up geometry for a bike like this, or telling someone how to set it up.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Changing the triple offset changes the trail.

No more, no less.

It has no effect on the rake.. That is changed by altering the head angle in the adjustable steering head that in turn has the effect of reducing trail.

Increasing the rake reduces the trail, which makes for more unstable steering. Reducing the offset brings the trail back towards OEM, which increases stability.

My 999R is set to steep, and has 27mm offset triples.

My LeMans has special bearings to make the steering 1 degree steeper, but stock clamps. Thus, it needs a steering damper.

My ST2 has the rear jacked up 1". This is about the same as increasing the rake 1 degree. It needs a steering damper.

MY SS will get some offset bearings (like my LeMans).when I get the time. I have them, but don't have the time at the moment.

Tom

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry, for whatever reason I thought this thread was about the adjustable steering head angle that the early superbikes have. Disregard my posts, I guess. :think:

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
Do a search under my handle and you should fine a post I made about changing the offset position on the 749R.

The 749R has two offset positions: 36mm or 30mm. It is not adjustable from 27 to 36mm as you mentioned in your original post.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Sorry, for whatever reason I thought this thread was about the adjustable steering head angle that the early superbikes have. Disregard my posts, I guess. :think:
Only the 749R had adjustable offset, so your mistake is understandable.

Tom

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Don't forget, if you bring the front back to the 30mm offset, you've gotta extend the rear to compensate. This is one reason why Ducati doesn't make the adjustment easy without doing some milling on the pin locking assembly. They expect you will be also modifying the swing arm to bring the wheel back a bit.

The 30mm trail works best on the track. It makes the bike has a slight delay on slow street steering. This is why the bike isn't setup like that from the beginning and NO other Ducati is setup that way...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts