Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Ok - Had my 749D for around 8weeks now -
(previous owner had it garaged all winter then sold it to the dealer who had it in the showroom for at least 3mopnths...
No problems for me but i did notice a gradual decline in battery voltage reading up until the point where is wouldn't start anymore.. (i meant to buy an optimizer but just kept getting sidetracked)

Bought an oxford maximizer last week with an overnight charge just couldn't get anymore than 12.8 out of it.. Assuming i've have left it too late to recover i then bought an a new battery - exact standard replacement - with an overnight charge can still only get up to 12.8 out of it..

Do you think maybe i've bought thet wrong maximizer? (if there is one coz i thought they're all the same!)
Is it likey there is another fault with my bike causing the battery not to charge (or indeed start) Any idea's?

One final stupid question too>.Am i supposed to charge it with the ignition on?

Any advice would be appreciated as i don't want to go to the dealer just yet!

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2005 Duc 749 bi posto and I found out the battery is toast today. 1st of all can anyone recomend a certian battery or are they all the same? 2nd I jumped the old battery today and took the bike for a ride hoping it would charge the battery and it didnt it just kept reading 9.8. The bike ran fine for my 30 min ride but rigth when I was pulling into my house the check engine light went on, would this happen because the battery is low? Why was it not on when I was riding (the battery volts read the same the whole time) ? Any help would be awesome, as my ducati dealer is quite a distance from my house.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sounds like your battery is just toast.

If you ride the bike, you won't need a battery tender (charger), those are for people who intend on not riding their bike.

Your battery should read 14.3v when fully charged. If it drops below 11.5v during the starting process, the bike will not start. Its easy to test this, take a multimeter and as you try to start it, check the voltage.
what he said ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still no joy - BRAND NEW battery doesn't even get her going.. It must be another fault...
Awesome weather here in York (UK).. seriously miffed!
Never ever had a problem with my GSXR - first italian bike, first 2months and she's cropped!

Taking it into the dealer this week - will post results for anyone's interested..

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
Still no joy - BRAND NEW battery doesn't even get her going.. It must be another fault...
Never ever had a problem with my GSXR - first italian bike, first 2months and she's cropped!

Taking it into the dealer this week - will post results for anyone's interested..
Make suer the "new" battery has a sufficient charge in it. You never know...just have it tested. It takes a good day or so to charge a weak battery.
You can also try simply changing the plugs. If the previous owner started the bike to just hear it :D like we all sometimes do when we can't get out for a ride, this could foul the plugs a bit. It's a very easy job. Just lift the tank up, not off to remove the rear cylinder plug. The front is right there for you. Should take you about 20 minutes. Make sure the new plugs are gapped properly and install them! Worth a try, I'll bet it starts and runs perfectly!

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Just because you bought a new battery, doesn't mean it IS new and it IS charged... You need a multimeter and you need to measure it to find out. 12v is not enough to get the bike started.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts