Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a coolant flush, I tried to torque the drain bolt to the specified torque (with a torque wrench) and the nut stripped the aluminum in the pump cover housing. I don’t know yet if the wrench calibration is off (it’s new and claimed to have passed QC) or if the housing threads had been previously harmed.

I purchased this new cover which is supposed to be OEM. However, the front face of the drain hole and the other copper washer gasket plug (at 3 o’clock) have not been milled flat. They have the cast finish. The inside also lacks the tool markings that are on the cover that came off the bike. The threads on the new cover are also a courser pitch. Does this look right? Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks like a OEM specs knock off part, where did you get it from?

I always use hand tight always making sure not to overtight on small bolt's on any aluminum part

New part should have come with a new drain plug as well

·
Registered
66 Posts
I won't worry too much about markings, just make sure it seats all the way against the gasket and case without any force, then torque by hand x-cross pattern, "do not overtight" check for leaks then tighten a bit more if you need
If the threads on the plug and the drain whole look different it would be best to check with a thread gauge
It looks like it should work fine

·
Registered
977 Posts
It looks like it should work fine
if the machined area where the impeller sits requires tight tolerances to provide adequate waterflow,just eye balling a counterfeit piece may not be enough.too much garbage from a certain part of Asia tries to make a buck & end up providing unsafe parts.live & learn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. The internal surface that sits next to the impeller isn't machined either. I will return it (from eBay).

Can you guys lend an opinion on which of these is the best replacement?

This claims to come off a 999, but the bolt at 3 o'clock seems to be countersunk - which the one on my 749s was not. Does this look like it came off a 999?

I'm leaning toward this once, since the mating surfaces look like they are at the right position. It comes off an 848.

Here's another one where the 3 o'clock bolt is countersunk. 2002 Monster S4

Thanks for the help. Getting this 749 running smoothly has been an adventure.

·
Registered
977 Posts
lot of models to choose from for a #
24721662A for a
749;

·
Registered
36 Posts
Had the same problem with my bike...'04 749s I was able to use the cover by using a single brake line banjo bolt. There was enough tread left in the cover and it worked just fine. I used two crush washers and some teflon tape on the bolt. No leak for over a year.

·
Registered
97 Posts
lot of models to choose from for a #
24721662A for a
749;
Man, even after conversion those prices are still crazy. Star Twin has theirs for around $110 USD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts