Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to upgrade from a 650V-Twin.

I've driven the 749. Love the and its torque ... but was wondering if anyone has tried any of the Triumph IL-3 bikes?

Are they a middle point between a V-Twin and an IL-4?

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
SERGIO said:
I'm ready to upgrade from a 650V-Twin.

I've driven the 749. Love the and its torque ... but was wondering if anyone has tried any of the Triumph IL-3 bikes?

Are they a middle point between a V-Twin and an IL-4?

Cheers,
Never tried the Triumph, but i've heard from a guy (MV owner) who tried the Daytona 675 and he said wonders of it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Tomorrow is the open house viewing of the 675 at the Duc/Triumph shop in Fort Worth. Not in the market, but think I'll go over for a gander since the 675 wasn't ready for showing at our motorcycle show this year.

·
Registered
372 Posts
if you're talking standard 749 i'd have to admit that i'd probably take the 675. that could change once i get my leg over one but until then...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Fairly substantial price difference too. I do like that 675 though. It ought to be a fun bike.

·
Registered
69 Posts
MV_999R said:
Never tried the Triumph, but i've heard from a guy (MV owner) who tried the Daytona 675 and he said wonders of it.
I seriously doubt he has ever ridden a D675, maybe a D650 or 600. The D675 has yet to leave production line at this time. There is a single unit travelling in US, at least 2 in Europe for dealers to show prospective buyers only...it CANNOT be ridden, unfortunately. The Yellow-gold unit tested by Bike mag that showed the 1st images is one of the 2 bikes circling European dealers at present. These are actually hand assembled production-level prototypes only at this point. The actual 1st production units do not leave assembly line till 3rd week in February. European buyers should start seeing their bikes by 1st week of March, US buyers are 1-2 weeks behind that. They are initially sold by pre-order deposit sales only, in all markets. If you have a deposit on one, you were given login instructions and password to see where your bike is in order que. The March and April allocations are completely sold out, the May allocation may be sold out by now, my local dealer has largest allocation in US (52 units) and told me last week that May orders were nearly full. The pre-order period expires at end of January, after that period, any remaining units will be delivered to dealers during June and July, quite possibly at a higher list price than those of us with pre-orders, the Graphite colored version will be sold out during pre-order period.

The US "show" bike arrives at my dealer Feb 3 for private showing for deposit buyers only, they are also doing a public showing on Feb 4 iirc. My son will get the 1st D675 bike in Bay Area(platinum grey, no-less), after that I'll have to just admire his beautiful machine till my yellow D675 arrives in April. The machine is so small however that I'm really anticipating the Feb 3 preview to see if I can actually fit on the bike. If not, I may sell my bike to a friend who has yet to place deposit but at 5'9" is likely better suited to the bike. Then I guess I'll just have to "settle" for an SS1000.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, I downloaded a video like a month ago, showing a fleet of 675s being tested at Sepang International Circuit in Malaysia.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
bigmac said:
I seriously doubt he has ever ridden a D675, maybe a D650 or 600. The D675 has yet to leave production line at this time. There is a single unit travelling in US, at least 2 in Europe for dealers to show prospective buyers only...it CANNOT be ridden, unfortunately. The Yellow-gold unit tested by Bike mag that showed the 1st images is one of the 2 bikes circling European dealers at present. These are actually hand assembled production-level prototypes only at this point. The actual 1st production units do not leave assembly line till 3rd week in February. European buyers should start seeing their bikes by 1st week of March, US buyers are 1-2 weeks behind that. They are initially sold by pre-order deposit sales only, in all markets. If you have a deposit on one, you were given login instructions and password to see where your bike is in order que. The March and April allocations are completely sold out, the May allocation may be sold out by now, my local dealer has largest allocation in US (52 units) and told me last week that May orders were nearly full. The pre-order period expires at end of January, after that period, any remaining units will be delivered to dealers during June and July, quite possibly at a higher list price than those of us with pre-orders, the Graphite colored version will be sold out during pre-order period.

The US "show" bike arrives at my dealer Feb 3 for private showing for deposit buyers only, they are also doing a public showing on Feb 4 iirc. My son will get the 1st D675 bike in Bay Area(platinum grey, no-less), after that I'll have to just admire his beautiful machine till my yellow D675 arrives in April. The machine is so small however that I'm really anticipating the Feb 3 preview to see if I can actually fit on the bike. If not, I may sell my bike to a friend who has yet to place deposit but at 5'9" is likely better suited to the bike. Then I guess I'll just have to "settle" for an SS1000.
He's in the UK and i think he is well connected in the bike business............
I'm sure i wouldn't lie about it.

If you believe it or not, it's your problem.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
shuyuan said:
Well, I downloaded a video like a month ago, showing a fleet of 675s being tested at Sepang International Circuit in Malaysia.
I saw that too, but it must be a fleet of Triumph Bonnevilles in disguise :rolleyes:

:D

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
FWIW, my Duc is a '02 998 and my "other" bike is Triumph's triple in the form of the Sprint RS. This is the "sport" version of the Sprint and in '04 only has a single-sided swingarm. The Sprint is not much like the Daytona 650 but it is a triple. My take on the triple is that it's really smooth and linear. Don't know if that's true in either Daytona model. But, there is plenty of power and torque everywhere. The triple's power is deceptive since you don't really feel anything dramatic happening. You just seem to be going faster all of a sudden. The thing I don't like about it is that it lacks "character." As I said, I don't know if the Daytona models triple has the same lack of character. That said, it's a hell of a motor. On a trip out to Lima, OH last year I averaged 50 mpg on the slab, 2-up with camping gear. A perfect complement to the Duc.

bruce19

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
brianmdavis said:
I'd buy the Triumph after what I've read. HOWEVER, I'd buy the Yamie 600 over either one!!!
My son did buy the Yamaha R6, but you have to like a motor that (sort of) comes on like a 2-stroke.

bruce19

·
Registered
47 Posts
I saw the 675 last weekend at my local BMW/Ducati dealer. I guess it was the dist managers bike. They assembled it for him. They had it on the floor for 2 days only. I thought the bike looked great.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
T.W.O. has one on the cover...I just got my latest issue(March)...and the copy initially looks like a serious road test by Niall Mackenzie....I'll be reading it tonight or tommorrow and let ya know more!

·
Registered
2 Posts
roadrash194 said:
I saw the 675 last weekend at my local BMW/Ducati dealer. I guess it was the dist managers bike. They assembled it for him. They had it on the floor for 2 days only. I thought the bike looked great.
I swear I saw one in our local dealer last weekend as well. (it's MCC in Vila Park IL in case any one wonders)....but as far as I understood, right now you can't take one home, just get on the list, which will be the first priority as triumph finaly starts delivering to dealers

G

·
Moto Italiano had a 675 on display at Alice's yesterday. $8,999 with deposits accepted now for delivery in late April/early May. They were letting people sit on it and, against my better judgment, I did. Seat noticeably higher than the Duc, tank narrower, feels definitely lighter. Bars/pegs relationship about the same. Absolutely sensational looking - even better than in the pics.

Where to scrounge up $9k for another toy. Do I REALLY need that spare kidney?

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I've posted this before so I apologize if it's redundant for some. My second bike is a '05 Triumph Sprint RS with the triple motor. The motor is very smooth, strong in a linear way and very fuel efficient. A 748 racer friend says it's "...the best motor ever put into a motorcyle." I like the motor but it lacks character. It's so linear that some times it's boring. Not to say that the Sprint triple is tuned like the 650. That I don't know. I certainly prefer the triple to an inline 4. And, I think most twin owners would too.

bruce19

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an 04 Triumph Speed Triple. The big triple is a great engine, very smooth with lots of torque. Not as much character as the twin in my ST3, but the Triumph feels a little more powerful up top. The ST3 feels better off the line though. They're both great engines.

Of course I don't know if the new 675 is similar but it's getting great press. Then there's also the 2300cc Triumph triple in the Rocket 3 cruiser!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts