Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
The steering stops are different on the base 749/Dark, but the front end will bolt up. For the conversion, you'll need to somehow modify the stops or use a 749S/999 lower triple clamp. You may be able to use a 916 series clamp as well, but not 100% certain of that.

Ideally, if you're going through the trouble of converting, you'll want to get a set of 27 or 30mm offset clamps to make good use of the steeper head setting of the adjustable headstock.

Other than that, ensure you have the correct clamp for Ohlins or Showa forks and everything else is the same.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
i'm under the understanding the non-adjustable steering stem is shorter than the adjustable.and the non-adj stem is part of the bottom triple.thus you will need the stem and lower triple from a 999 or ''s'' series 749

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Perhaps. I had the two lying around a few years back and they looked the same dimensionally. I wasnt swapping to my 749, so I didn't take measurements. I was going to put the SBK triple on my SS b/c apparently they swap over, but 36mm offset is all wrong for the SS chassis. I couldnt tell you if the steer tube will swap from one lower to the other, but the complete assembly should swap between the two frames.

But, like I said, having to modify the steering stops kinda makes using the 749 clamp a silly choice since the beefy SBK clamps are relatively cheap and plentiful

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are there any differences between 999 base and 749 base front end? I might as well get the complete front end and sell the 749 if it's worth it.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
The 999 has the adjustable headstock w/ the beefy lower triple clamp, TiN (gold) coated Showa forks. The 749 has a non-adjustable headstock with the not-so-beefy lower clamp, regular chromed Showa forks. The forks are the same design the difference being the slider coating, which doesn't really make a difference in the real world. Brakes/wheels are the same.

What's the deal with the swap? Looking for the adjustability, or replacing damaged parts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts