Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of Curiousity, what are the best tires to use for a 749? I have read through all applicable forums and haven't found a straight answer. I ride a decent amount of twisties and a lot of just cruising.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dont think your going to find a straitforward answer.

I hear a lot of people loving Dunlop Diablo Coursa tires (am I getting that right?) , they come in 2 flavors, one geared twords track days with the occational street use (they dont last that long on the road), and ones geared twords street use with the occational track day (they last longer), apparently they have a great ride and grip. My father put some on his bikes made a HUGE diffrence in how they handel. Although I have heard one guy claim they made his bike too tippy (wanted to turn in too much) so he removed them.

P

·
0 Posts
The Diablo Corsa's do last pretty long on the road for me, 7,500 miles before replacing. That's with weekday commuting and weekend canyon fun. And they grip well on trackdays. I heard that Pirelli has a special now where if you buy a pair, they will give you another front when you send in your receipt.

·
Registered
150 Posts
CKvBP said:
Dont think your going to find a straitforward answer.

I hear a lot of people loving Dunlop Diablo Coursa tires (am I getting that right?) , they come in 2 flavors, one geared twords track days with the occational street use (they dont last that long on the road), and ones geared twords street use with the occational track day (they last longer), apparently they have a great ride and grip. My father put some on his bikes made a HUGE diffrence in how they handel. Although I have heard one guy claim they made his bike too tippy (wanted to turn in too much) so he removed them.
I thought Pirelli's made Diablo Corsa (wink wink). You can't go wrong with some of the mixed street/track tires like the Bridgestone BT014, Pirelli Diablo Corsa, or the Michelin Pilot Powers. All should serve very well through the twisties.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Michelin Pilot Powers are the bomb. I can't endorse Pirelli Diablo Corsas since I lowsided with them on. Then again, I lowsided with Dunlop 208GPAs too. Maybe I'm just a bad rider. The only tires I haven't crashed on are the above Pilot Powers (my favorite) and Diablo Super Corsas (close to my favorite).

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
All joking aside, pick the tire you think looks best!! Seriously though, like has been said, they're all great and with today's tire technoligy I seriously doubt you're gonna get a tire that will not hold up to literally anything you can dish at it on the street and then maybe some on the track...for us mere mortals anyways. I would like to try a set of Diablo or Diablo Corsas but I personally don't like the looks, even though I have NEVER heard a bad word about them. But, since you asked, I also love Pilot Powers. It is also my favorite tire in the looks department. My wife picked a set of BT-014's for her bike, based on looks, and they perform superbly as well. I've taken her bike out and shredded em up pretty good and they are VERY comparable to the Powers. I was actually surprised at how neutral they are all around and how very confidence inspiring they felt. Choose what YOU like and sleep well!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
galaxy said:
All joking aside, pick the tire you think looks best!! Seriously though, like has been said, they're all great and with today's tire technoligy I seriously doubt you're gonna get a tire that will not hold up to literally anything you can dish at it on the street and then maybe some on the track...for us mere mortals anyways. I would like to try a set of Diablo or Diablo Corsas but I personally don't like the looks, even though I have NEVER heard a bad word about them. But, since you asked, I also love Pilot Powers. It is also my favorite tire in the looks department. My wife picked a set of BT-014's for her bike, based on looks, and they perform superbly as well. I've taken her bike out and shredded em up pretty good and they are VERY comparable to the Powers. I was actually surprised at how neutral they are all around and how very confidence inspiring they felt. Choose what YOU like and sleep well!!
You buy tires based on how they look? That's the first time I've ever heard that for motorcycle tires.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The Diablo Corsa's are great tires. On my R6 I did 5 track days on them in the intermediate level and they were (finally) starting to get worn down. The only issue with them is when they are done gripping it is all over (low side baby :eek: ) I switched to Dunlop GP-A's (track only tire) and the grip is better along with predictability - I can feel them come loose (never said I was a great rider :) ) and control the slide. For a street tire the diablo Corsa is awesome. The provile is steep which gives a wicked turn-in.

When changing tire brands/types you might have to change the suspension around - the diablo's are something like 5-10 mm taller than the dunlops.

·
Registered
80 Posts
my recommendation is to the pirelli diablo corsa. I've tried almost every tire out there, and for a tire that runs street twisties and track days... i don't think you can find anything better. they have a very predictable slide, more grip, and a very nice shape. i absolutely hate the dunlops, i don't get the feedback for the track surface that i want from them... very numb tires. the pilot powers are also very very good, i still give the nudge to the corsas. if you can find the pilots for considerably cheaper, go with them. i've never ran the bridgestone race tires, but i thought their street tires lacked the ultimate grip, as well as wet grip of other tires.
the pilot powers have a more triangular shape that should quicken turn in on a ducati... that is the effect they had on my 600rr.

picking a tire on looks? thats a new selection process to me. if the best gripping tire was covered in hot pink zebra stripes i'd still run it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. Right now, if I pull my hands of the handlebars at 40+ I start to get a little wobble. I have only had the bike for 2 weeks, its a 2004 749, and upon closer inspection this last weekend after noticing the wobble, it looks as if there is minor weather cracking in the grooves of the tire. The shop who had it before had dunlop sportmax tires on there (120-70-17 front and 180-55-17 rear). I have heard that new tires should straighten things out, I'm hoping so, but I am going to have a shop tear through the bike and make sure its mech. sound as well.

Any other thoughts, I am always open to them!!!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
80 Posts
look at your wheels and see if you still have balance weights. sometimes they use sticky ones and they can come off and cause a vibration at a certian RPM. other than that, if your tires a cupped or scalloped, toss them out and get a new set.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Well, my point was simply this...with todays technology given in the current crop of supersport bike tires, you just can't go wrong on the street...literally, you can't. Agreed, there is a 'personal preference' between tires in the way it handles, or turns in a tad bit faster than another, or just what ever. But for the most part, who is ever going to exceed, or even come close to exceeding, the limits of any top tire out today? Not me, that's for sure. Plus you get on a site like this and ask for opinions, well, we all know how that goes. With 20 responses you can end up with 20 different opinions. Although I'll admit this has been a better thread than most with the vast majority going for Diablos or Powers...it's usually not the case in a opinion thread. If I was uneducated, or unexperienced with every single tire out there, which I am (given the fact that the majority of us have probably only personally tried a couple different brands at best) then taking that recommended list of top tires and picking the one YOU like best is not that far fetched. If the best gripping tire out there was covered in hot pinks zebra stripes, literally, then I have two things to say...One, I'd be willing to bet a Benjamin you wouldn't run them on the street; and two, I'd just have to ride a tad bit slower on my less grippy, black tires!! Unless of course you are that one guy in that other .05% category that exceeds any tire's capabilities on the street. Then I say enjoy your zebra stripes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i don't honestly think it takes that much riding to out ride your tires on the street. i replace my street tires when i wear the sides off... they never get a chance to flatten in the middle or something like that. i ride up to my set of twisties, scout the run, then ride at 7/10ths with the other two guys i ride with. i wear out a set of street tires in about 2000 miles, and by wear out i mean the tire perceptably goes off and get slippery on the sides. even when i have scrubbed in tires heated up, they still slide on corner entry and slip slightly through the whole turn, and more so on the exit. allthough i've never asked, i'm sure my riding partners are also running their tires at this level.
and i'm not that fast, i'm sorta quick, but there are plenty of guys out there that can pass me mid corner and i won't have anything for them, so i don't think this is so unusual.
anyway, i think there are considerable differences between the way a certian tire gets to its lap times... basicly i agree that with objective testing on multiple bikes and multiple riders, that the big 4 put out tires that turn lap times that are fairly close to each other. The only difference is how... one may have more ulitmate grip than another, or a different profile that allows faster or slower turn in or more stability, or one may heat up faster and then go off faster, one may heat up slowly but progressively build grip and then not go off as quickly.
i should stop saying may... this is the qualities that the different tires do display. the difference in tire choice i believe is:
certian tires are suited to certian bikes.
certian tires are suited to certian riding styles.

of course, this whole discussion can be negated if you don't ride the tires hard enough to feel the difference.
so i assume you want advice on which tires are the best for the ducati superbike, at the limit. (and my riding style... which enters in the subjectiveness)
because if you don't ride them at the limit, then yes, it doesn't matter which tire you have on... they are black and round and kinda sticky... they all work.
but if you do ride them at the limits, here is my recomendation.
and honestly... you'd lose your 100$. people can laugh at me all the want... my riding will speak for itself, and if i have better tires than you... you'll just be watching the little Astar on my back get smaller and smaller.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Tire choice is as personal and subjective as oil brand/weight or air pressure preferences.

You are primarily a street rider, stay away from track oriented tires. Other than that, tires today are all very good quality and you really can't go wrong with any of the major brands (Dunlop, Mich, Pirelli).

And not to be a jerk.... but avoid listening to tire advice from people who lowside and blame their tires - it is 100% rider error (unless you are running in the top 5 positions in MotoGP of WSBK AND at it's near the end of the race).

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I've tried a bunch of different tires (though I haven't tried the Michelins yet), but I won't give a recommendation. I'll just give some subjective comments and opinions...

Dunlops - I love these tires. My FE came with, I think, D204's and they were okay. My 748 came with two sets - half used and brand new D208GP's. I probably never would have tried them because they're so expensive, but they were GREAT tires -- both on the street and on the track.

Metzeler - while I love the ME880's on my BMW, I tried the MEZ-4 sport-touring tire on my FE and hated them. I replaced them with Bridgestones after about 1000 miles because I was sliding both the rear AND front on the Z4's going around slow corners in the dry. In their defense, though, I apparently bought the wrong size tires, dropping to a 120/60 up front from a 120/70 stock, and down to a 160/60 from a 170/60 on the rear. This may have had a lot more to do with the instability I experienced than the tire itself.

Bridgestone - I ran two sets of BT-012SS tires on the FE, which I think have been superceded by the BT-014. In tire comparisons in the moto rags, where they were being tested on 140hp bikes on the track, they got low marks. I ran them on the track and loved them (they gumballed up real nice), but then -- I'm slow. :) For dual street/track use, though, I feel the Bridgestones are the absolute best value. Very good stick & feel for a relatively low price.

Metzeler RaceTech - Track only. I have a spankin' new set waiting in the garage for their first turn around the track, which isn't likely to happen soon unless someone wants to donate a track day to me (wink-wink, nudge-nudge) -- so I can't really race them. A dude on a 748 had them at my last Buttonwillow day last year, though, and we chatted about them. He had nothing but good stuff to say...and he was faster than me. :)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Fox said:
i replace my street tires when i wear the sides off... they never get a chance to flatten in the middle or something like that.
Well I'll tell you this Fox, if that's the case then I am humbled. All joking aside. I have never had that problem, and that's one problem I'd like to have. Still don't think you'd ride around in pink zebra striped tires though;-)

·
Registered
80 Posts
lol, now i'll do it just cause. find me a set, i'll by em. anyway, don't be humbled by me... i've crashed 5 times in 4 years, and that isn't counting the 2 times cagers have hit me and tried to run me over. my leathers have as many scratches as my knee pucks...
believe me, i wasn't trying to say i was good. but i do ride the piss out of the bike every time i get on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts