Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone! unfortunately trouble brings me here today :( i have an '05 749 dark with about 22,000 miles on it. i've had it the last twelve. been fairly good to me, outside of its relatively normal tendency to want to stall out at red lights and its hyper-sensitivity towards a good battery. started taking it to the track, and have been riding it pretty hard. all and all, not too much trouble... until last night.

i was going on a ride to bike night, when about a mile and a half away from my house the throttle just kind of "cut out," meaning the bike was basically stalled and rolling (pretty smoothly) at decelerating speed. had this happen once last year, but he fired right up on the first try. this time, however, is different.

i tried to start it, but it didn't want to stay started. thought maybe it was bad gas from a buddy at the track (it isn't as far as i know, he was running the same fuel at the track although it was 91), so i limped with what felt like half power to the nearest shell gas station. on the way, sounded kinda lopping, like it was doing what it was doing on accident. not terrible (or i wouldn't have ridden it), but definitely odd. like late combustion or addition of fuel or something along those lines. i put in fresh 93 octane (he only took two gallons), called a friend of mine for advice, ad while on the phone said "want to hear it?" and it started right up, and was right back to sounding completely normal! got off the phone, tried to start it again... nothing.

i can hear the fuel pump prime, and i swear i smell gas. it will occasionally kick over for 1-8ish revolutions, sounding pretty rough (firing on one cylinder?), before it stalls and won't start again. i've had him hooked up to a battery tender all day, and if anyone knows the sensitivity of the battery it's me (i've bump started him more times than i care to admit), but i know even yesterday after attempting to start him 50 times the battery still had enough to normally start him.

for what it's worth, i got it serviced about 300 miles ago, and when i warmed it up for my first ride a timing belt pulley bolt came lose and cracked the plastic and ripped the belt. shop took it back, inspected it, new belt, etc. i can't see where this may be related, but it doesn't hurt to let you know the full picture.

sorry such a long post. unfortunately the search has yielded a bunch of won't starts (cold, never started to begin with, etc) or stalling issues (stalls at red light... i am about 11,900 miles over that issue lol).

if anyone can offer any insight, i'd be eternally grateful!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hurley you just blew my mind at the quick response! :eek: thanks so much!

i do not know that yet. i put him up on the stand, took the fairings off, and figured i'd be wiser by posting first and wrenching second. figured it would help me with what to look at. i should know that answer (at least for the front one) relatively soon!

thanks again for the quick reply!!! :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
ok, well check out the spark issue and let me know... if there is spark, fuel and air the should be fire... unless there is all three but something went out of spec of crapped out... but lets go about it the easy way first.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, that didn't go as planned. i'm assuming they used ngk spark plugs, and not even the provided toolkit helped. i'm going to have to shave something down or see if my duc dealer will let me borrow it.

as far as removing the fuel tank, when i remove the hoses from the pump/tank, approximately how much fuel will leak? i have a full tank and can siphon it (which might not be a bad idea anyways), but if the pump prevents it from leaking i won't drain it. also, last time i tried to start it, i definitely smelled fuel.

i can connect a new spark plug to the spark plug wires to test for spark that way, but i'm not sure that's providing a "real" answer as it doesn't guarantee the state of the spark plug actually in the cylinder.

finally, what's the best way to shave down the spark plug socket? thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
110 Posts
i would get the right socket if i could instead...
you can test it by like you said connecting a new plug to the cable and grounding it, sure it may be a different story inside the cyl, but atleast youll know if you have spark or not under no load.

was there any kind of leak? the smell may have just been the fuel overfill tube...

when removing im sure itl just be whatever is in the lines you remove.. check all the little o-rings and stuff.

·
Registered
119 Posts
pop the gas cap and with the key on while the pump primes if you see waves you have popped a hose loose inside the tank.
Easier to check than spark and much more of a common occurance. Just cause you can hear the pump doesnt mean you have fuel pressure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow you guys are amazing! when the fuel pump primes, there's no waves present whatsoever. just undisturbed gas. i'm taking it that's not the problem? :)( i was excited!)

and if you don't mind me asking... what's vapor lock? and where can i get the correct socket? i've been searching and googling and everyone seems to "grind" theirs down. thanks again guys!

·
Registered
110 Posts
its when the fuel in the fuel line becomes too hot from heat and causes the liquid fuel to turn into a vapor The engine won't run with it in this state as it can't be sprayed and controlled by the injectors and pressure regulators properly.

·
Registered
237 Posts
wow you guys are amazing! when the fuel pump primes, there's no waves present whatsoever. just undisturbed gas. i'm taking it that's not the problem? :)( i was excited!)

and if you don't mind me asking... what's vapor lock? and where can i get the correct socket? i've been searching and googling and everyone seems to "grind" theirs down. thanks again guys!
Just grind it down. Takes 5 mins and is a permanent fix

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
The fact that the belt came loose is concerning to me. The shop said every things fine but is it? Seems like a serious issue to me anyway.
Is the EOBD light on in your dash? When was the last time your fuel filter was changed. Ducati suggests every 10K. You can check the fuel filter by placing an amp meter on the leads that come out of the fuel pump. If it draws more than 7amps when running, chances are the filter is dirty/clogged and needs replacement. Makse sure the fuel line isn't pinched anywhere...I would check and see when the fuel filter was last replaced.....if it's super dirty is can cause the fuel relay to over heat and shut down. Also at 22K check and make sure the fuel lines that go to the filter are not slightly cracked somewhere....also check and make sure the tank overflow hose isn't clogged or pinched anywhere too.
But man the dealership really screwed up by not properly tightening the cam belt pulley tensioner.....they and you are lucky something didn't get damaged.
Just because the battery is on a tender doesn't mean it was fully charged. Take it to a service station and have them check it or check it yourself...
No fuel should leak after removing the lines....I always siphoned as much fuel as I could before removing the tank just because it's easier to handle the tank. You should just need a towel under the fuel lines to absorb a liitle fuel that leaks out.
I would find out exactly what the dealer did at the 24K mile service. This is a big service and can encompasses alot of basic maintenance items. So I would double check and make sure what was done, and what wasn't.....if they didn't properly tighten down the belt tensioner they could have missed something else...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts