Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine gave me a set of 749 masters he still had laying around after he sold his bike (Brembo PR18 for the brake and Brembo PRSomething for the clutch) because I helped him rebuilding the roof on his house last summer.
Both should be in good working condition. Remote reservoir version.

Now I'm thinking about mounting these on my 900 SS but there's some things I don't know about this swap. My old stock ones are getting euh... old and look pretty beaten up. And the PR18 doesn't look as modern as the new Brembo RSC masters so they will more or less match the look of a ninetees SS I think.
Brake lines won't be an issue as I'm gonna replace the +20y old stock ones with new FrenTubo stainless steel braided ones.

My questions:

1) Is size gonna be a problem? I mean, the stock brake mc is 16mm, the 749 one is 18mm... Same for the clutch I guess. Do I need some other calipers as well (if so, don't even read any further, I will sell the masters in that case)? Or a new (bigger) clutch slave (I can live with that)?

2) I expect some problems with the throttle cables when mounting this brake mc. The brake lines start at the bottom of the mc and that's where the throttle cables run. I think an adapter like this might help. That way I can use a single banjo bolt on the bottom of the master (instead of the double in the stock configuration) and maybe that way there's just enough room. And if the whole swap doesn't work out I can ditch the adapter and mount the new brake lines on the stock masters again. Anyone solved this problem before?

3)The master have been laying around for about a year. They feel good (unmounted) but what if there's an internal seal broken? I already know that there are no seal kit available. Anyone know of certain (industrial) seals which fit this masters? Or maybe even better: does anyone know the exact dimensions of these seals? And before I can reach these seals (the ones on the piston) I have to remove the dust cap. How? It seems it is glued in or something.... I can barely get a small screwdriver underneath it, let alone pulling it out.

4)The micro-switch for the brake master wasn't included. I have looked around and see some switches with the mention of "normally closed" on various webshops. Are these the ones I need or does anyone has a Brembo part number for the switch? There are two small holes at the bottom of the master where this switch should click in place. The switch should be closed when riding and opens when braking.

5) The choke. The choke lever seems to be attached to the stock clutch master (to keep it from spinning around the clip-on I suppose) but there is no attachment point on the radial clutch master for the choke. How do I keep the choke from spinning? I have to make some reservoir brackets (as they were not included) so maybe I can make a bracket that holds the reservoir and keep the choke in place at the same time... Any experiences on this issue?

Thanks for the help!

This is the type of masters I'm talking about:

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
are they oem 749? if so, the clutch slave is the same as the revised 2001 ssie, which uses the same master as the 2000 ssie with the old slave, so you'd think it'd have to be fine.

and again, if so, the 749 front brake switch will just clip on and plug in.

so that's 1 and 4. 2 and 3 are suck it and see. 5 is fabricate. little sheet metal bracket that bolts to the two bar clamp screws?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are they oem 749? if so, the clutch slave is the same as the revised 2001 ssie, which uses the same master as the 2000 ssie with the old slave, so you'd think it'd have to be fine.

and again, if so, the 749 front brake switch will just clip on and plug in.

so that's 1 and 4. 2 and 3 are suck it and see. 5 is fabricate. little sheet metal bracket that bolts to the two bar clamp screws?
Thanks belter!
Meanwhile I found the correct brake switch for this MC (110467195).
I'll fabricate a custom bracket that will hold the reservoir and keeps the choke lever in place.
And I hope I'll never need replacement seals for these MC's as they are clearly unavailable...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts