Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock replacement muffler for a 749 and I want to have it cored.

Does anyone have any recommendations of where I can have it done ... professionally, and reliably?

I live in Colorado, but if I need to ship it somehwere to have it done right thats ok as well.

Thanks in advance,
Karl

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Just gutting the can is no big deal other than all the layers of stainless and packing.. but to do it right and have it re-piped and packed and whatnot it a little more involved and a total PITA if you dont have all the welders, benders, cutters and what not that are necessary to do it. I did 1, and that'll be the end of it.
Heres a Basic overview: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=13091

·
Registered
75 Posts
Contact this guy. He used to sell cored exhausts, but he does not have it up on the site any longer. It may just be because he did not sell that many. But he might do it for you if you ask. I think he charged like $450 or something, which for the work involved is a damn good deal.

http://shop.mjsperformance.com/main.sc;jsessionid=2461B59EF5434139AF7C97B2E985CA93.qscstrfrnt01
Thanks for the contact. I've already gotten in touch with this guy and planning on getting a cored stock muffler and mid pipe from him.

·
Registered
75 Posts
whats the diameter on that half system from the 999R? I was under the impression that it would be too much exhaust for a stock 749...

·
Registered
601 Posts
whats the diameter on that half system from the 999R? I was under the impression that it would be too much exhaust for a stock 749...
IIRC all of the half systems are 54mm.. the Full's come in 50, 54, and 58.. well 63 if you go Corsa.. but yeah.. the halves I think are fairly universal..

·
Registered
75 Posts
IIRC all of the half systems are 54mm.. the Full's come in 50, 54, and 58.. well 63 if you go Corsa.. but yeah.. the halves I think are fairly universal..
good to know...I've already placed my order with MJS performance seeing as how they are half an hour away from me. As much as I like to do things myself, from the sounds of it, doing this mod is a total PITA so it's worth it to me to pay a little (still way less than a termi) for someone to do it professionally. plus he's gonna ceramic coat the whole pipes and muffler black which is sweet!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BMS states that the exhaust systems for the "R" model bikes are specific to those bikes, and that they cannot be interchanged with other super-bike models.
Therefore, that system will only work on another "999R", and will NOT fit another "999" or "749" base or "s" model.

Bummer!

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
good to know...I've already placed my order with MJS performance seeing as how they are half an hour away from me. As much as I like to do things myself, from the sounds of it, doing this mod is a total PITA so it's worth it to me to pay a little (still way less than a termi) for someone to do it professionally. plus he's gonna ceramic coat the whole pipes and muffler black which is sweet!
Smart...very smart :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts