Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have an issue with my ducati project race bike. I have installed a complete 749 engine in my race frame. I bought all the electrics from a running breaker and an engine. After a lot of fitting, adjusting, everything is assembled and installed. During my first start attempts not a lot happend. While throubleshooting I found some minor things I forgot (neutral was one of them.. sorry I am running carbed ducati for the last five years with less as electronics as possible...) Now still I am not able to start the bike. I have sparks at both cilinders After visually checking the injectors during the the automatic start sequence first I found the pressure low ish... I now have put an external fuel regulator (is a 851 fuel tank and in tank pump) and I am running 2,5 bar during start. Is this enough?
The injection looks beter now. First start the engine makes attemps to start but doesnt..
when I put some pilot jet spray on the intakes it does start but nog for long. I have the impression that it really is lean.
I have an amber light on the dash, but no faults on a remote wifi odbII reader. The immobilizer is removed from the ecu.
Does anybody have any idea what to look for before I go to a ducati dealer to read it it with their diagnostic hard and software.
Are there any points to pay attention for, such as:
-I have no antenna transponder installed , should I have one with the imo function removed?
-jiffy stand plug should it be bridged or not?
-speed sensor is also not installed, is this important?

Thanks for reading and thinking!

Some background of the bike, it is a 851 base frame with a 916 front and back suspension, before I ran a 1000ds in it with fcr carbs and ignitech control.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Fuel pressure still low. In 851/888 OEM is 3 bar, so with 2.5 your engine is probably running lean.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thanks, I will see to find another pump, to rule this out!
If your pump and fuel filter are in good condition, it's the regulator you must turn your attention to.
The pump puts out much more than 3 Bar.
2.5 vs 3 Bar is about 10% leaner - I believe it should be able to start.

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 851/888 tank holds no regulator I installed an external automotive fuel regulator to check the pressure for troubleshooting. Before start I have 3 bar, during a start attemp I have 2,5 bar, maybe I can see to tweek it a little more up, but I doubt it.
Next week I gona check wich kind of fuel pump is installed because I have to modify the fuel fittings anyway because de fittings are interfering with the airbox of the 749 engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Next week I gona check wich kind of fuel pump is installed because I have to modify the fuel fittings anyway because de fittings are interfering with the airbox of the 749 engine.
A standard bosch fuel pump is installed currently on the original support inside the tank, as I suspected no fuel pressure regulator installed.
How was fuel pressure regulation accomplished in a 851/888, those ran also injection, no?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thx, shame that thise regulators are rare eand expensive if you find them.
I gona propably switch from the automotive regulator to a 848 regulator.

On the other hand, with the current setup I managed to start the bike!!!!
Without any replacements if major parts luckily.
Replaced the 102 fuel by the standard 95 and added the new air filters that were in backorder.
And she started with the first attempt ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts