Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally did it! I completed my first track day with the bike (Pocono FUSA w/SST). AWESOME!!!

Well Anyway, I want to continue with more track days but I also wanted to know if i can get some thoughts on how to make my 05 749s better on the track.

I am considering any on of these:

1. 43t rear sprocket as per Shazaam's(sp) recommendation in the hall of wisdom

2. Ohlins suspension from 03 999s?

3. Marchesini Mag wheels- Not going to go CF b/c wheel lip damages easily and its not repairable as is a mag wheel and finally cost

4. Termi full exhaust

5. Trade in for 999S-yes I do realize I got a "stable"(heavy) bike and for the same weight I would rather have the power but I worry that the increased CCs will cut into my track skills development even though it would be nice on the street.

6.Buy a FZR400 race bike - There is a deal too good to pass up near me.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
41t sprocket

for power...full termig system, PCIII w/ custom tune

quick shifter

lightweight flywheel

lightweight wheels

that should keep you busy

from there, go on to ohlins, etc...

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
How is buying a new bike a modification? lol :rolleyes:

IDK, how bout you get some nice track fairings for the bike? Perhaps do the sprocket and termi's together and with a PC3 remap, that will help bring up your usable power a bit. Wheels are a BIG helper, but you should really aim for the 10 spoke mag's and those are expensive! You can easily toss the ohlins valve upgrade and springs into your showas for 1/3rd the price of a set of used ohlins and be happy as pig in shyt. I'm doin' my math here, you've got some expensive upgrades up there! EEK :eek:

Verdict: How bout you leave the bike the way it is for a bit and go have some fun. I'm a track noob myself and everybody and there mom has told me to just ride the bloody thing and not worry about upgrades... I pass on the same knowledge to you!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
+1 for what tye says.

This is your first track day, before you get crazy. Get the expensive OEM fairings off and kept safe in the garage. Buy some aftermarket, who cares about paint. It doesnt make you faster!

You will find yourself pushing harder on the track than the street and your more likely to lay it down there. Also if you dont have good 1pc leathers, back protector, safety gear....get all that first. Fast bike with out the right safety gear can just increase the injury.

Once you spend some time on the track and talk to track junkies and racers you will find out what will give you the best performance.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
X2 for tye and Scott...But, if you have the funds to spend and really want to do something, you need to switch your priorites around. Take redscare's list and completely flip it over!! (sorry Kurt)

Gear and plastics followed very closely by suspension upgrades. That will make you/help you ride better...then you can worry about getting faster with the other stuff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
as already said, save all that money in mods and buy track time!

That is the best money spent at your stage in track life.

Don't worry, as you ride more your wallet will get thinner and you will get faster!

Honestly, you don't need to get Ohlins suspension. Just have your Showa stuff reworked for your weight. i.e. resprung and valved. This should be done in before the next track day. Suspension is the key to going fast. You can have all the power in the world, but if you can't get it to the pavement, does it matter? nope.

All that other stuff, lighter bits, more power.... its all for not if you can't control it.

My personal order

1. Suspension - at least set the sag for your weight if not a full rebuild of it
2. Track time
3. Track time
4. Track time
5. All other mods as time and skill level rises.

·
Super Moderator
25,921 Posts
I think that FZR400 might be a good idea...do a season of Lightweight racing if you really want to see your skills improve.

The FZR will be cheap as hell to race, and racing is another step beyond track days for intensity that will bring out the best in you. After a season of lightweight class racing, go ahead and sell it and THEN prep your Duc for the track, and at that point you'll have the knowledge based on experience to mod it for what you need, AND the skills to push it.

Just my 2 Pesos! :)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
+1 peso

Pick up the 400 for cheap and spend the rest of the money on trackdays AND Superbike school. Doesn't hurt to learn how to ride on the track correctly, and subsequently faster.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Leathers

I agree with a few of these guys...especially the one who said buy it all! The one I particularly liked was dialing in suspension followed by a ton of track time. That's where it's at for the most part, get the seat time and work to master what you have. Then you can grow into a quicker more powerful bike when you're ready. And if you happen to want to go faster and/or have the money, go for it man!

One thing that might help if money happens to be an issue is to buy 2-piece leathers so that you can use the jacket (and even the pants if you want) on the street. I always wear my jacket and for longer, more spirited rides I zip it to the pants. Dainese makes great stuff, I am riding my 2-piece on the track until I buy a 1-piece at some point. I also wear "bomber" shorts and a separate lower back protector underneath as those areas are not taken care of by my gear. You'll notice as you get into it more, the level of protection you want and what is/is not available.

Most importantly - HAVE FUN!!!

Tuga008 said:
Well, I finally did it! I completed my first track day with the bike (Pocono FUSA w/SST). AWESOME!!!

Well Anyway, I want to continue with more track days but I also wanted to know if i can get some thoughts on how to make my 05 749s better on the track.

I am considering any on of these:

1. 43t rear sprocket as per Shazaam's(sp) recommendation in the hall of wisdom

2. Ohlins suspension from 03 999s?

3. Marchesini Mag wheels- Not going to go CF b/c wheel lip damages easily and its not repairable as is a mag wheel and finally cost

4. Termi full exhaust

5. Trade in for 999S-yes I do realize I got a "stable"(heavy) bike and for the same weight I would rather have the power but I worry that the increased CCs will cut into my track skills development even though it would be nice on the street.

6.Buy a FZR400 race bike - There is a deal too good to pass up near me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Echoing what other's have said as well as my own experiences with my 749 at the track.

Prep your bike for the inevitable crash. It will come

1. Race Bodywork
2. Underbody Frame Sliders
3. Axle Sliders
4. Stock up on some spares (clip ons, rearsets, fairing stays etc). You can find these on Flebay cheap cheap.

Mods:

1. 43tooth in the back is the single best thing you can do for your 749.
2. Set-up your stock suspension for your weight. Might be necessary to change springs and getting some professional setup is great value for the dollar. You will be amazed at much a difference a tuned suspension will do for your riding.

Track time: Get as much of this as possible. This is where the best money is spent. The money spent on 1 exhaust that basically does zippo for your riding can pay for a season's worth of track riding.

Also consider taking a track school either from local organizations (depending on where you are) or at a bigger national school. Again, WELL worth the money spent.

After that when you have your bike totally dialed in and you are looking at shaving small amounts of time off your laps, THEN look at getting other goodies.

It will get proportionately expensive the more time you want to shave off in terms of buying parts but hey, that is the way it goes.

Good luck and enjoy the addictive world of riding track!

Ciao!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help everyone. I liked the 400 race bike idea b/c of the cost and intensity and learn to ride with guys in your CC class all depends how good the deal is. I am currently looking for a 1 pc suit. I think my shop has a teknic and Rev'it suit at reasonable costs. I would like my suspension sorted to my weight (I also need to think about reducing that as well). I am going to get the race bodies and am really tempted to get the 43t sprocket. I mean would it be more beneficial to run my tryin experiences on the larger sprocket or stick with stock and work on more gas in turns?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Just my two cents

The 43T is a cheap mod that you can do at any time...but it makes the bike quicker to accelerate AND decelerate. This means that the bike will be more challenging to control. Believe me, I'm not the most conservative guy...but it seems to me that you might want to get very good at what you have until you know the difference and feel the need for something more aggressive.

I'm going through some relatively similar decisions myself. Either way have fun!

Tuga008 said:
Thanks for the help everyone. I liked the 400 race bike idea b/c of the cost and intensity and learn to ride with guys in your CC class all depends how good the deal is. I am currently looking for a 1 pc suit. I think my shop has a teknic and Rev'it suit at reasonable costs. I would like my suspension sorted to my weight (I also need to think about reducing that as well). I am going to get the race bodies and am really tempted to get the 43t sprocket. I mean would it be more beneficial to run my tryin experiences on the larger sprocket or stick with stock and work on more gas in turns?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Tires...

I wrote off my '05 749 dark at my second track day, rebuilt it over the winter with the insurance payout and now it is my track bike. I would echo most of what you've read here, get safe and then do some track days. The 749 is a very good track bike out of the box. My personal early upgrade would be race spec tires.

I have:
- underbody frame sliders
- sharkskinz (and no original body work :( )
- Zard exhaust - full system
- Ohlin kit in the stock front forks
- suspension setup
- 41t back sprocket and 520 chain
- I just bought an Ohlin rearshock on ebay, to go on this week!

In this state the bike is far more capable than I am, so track days for me!

Oh yeah and have fun...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
galaxy said:
X2 for tye and Scott...But, if you have the funds to spend and really want to do something, you need to switch your priorites around. Take redscare's list and completely flip it over!! (sorry Kurt)
haha :D mine weren't in any particular order. I guess in hindsight I should have just said: "#1 mod....more track days!"

·
Registered
926 Posts
Synergy said:
+1 for what tye says.

This is your first track day, before you get crazy. Get the expensive OEM fairings off and kept safe in the garage. Buy some aftermarket, who cares about paint. It doesnt make you faster!

You will find yourself pushing harder on the track than the street and your more likely to lay it down there. Also if you dont have good 1pc leathers, back protector, safety gear....get all that first. Fast bike with out the right safety gear can just increase the injury.

Once you spend some time on the track and talk to track junkies and racers you will find out what will give you the best performance.
+1

I completely agree! I did two track days this Tuesday & Wednesday...well, guess what happened during my last session on Tuesday? Yup, I low-sided my bike going around 40mph in Turn 3 at NHIS (Loudon, NH)...b/c my tires were still cold. Oh, and yeah, I had the OEM fairings on it...I'm really bummed but I've learned a lot and will be calling my insurance company.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Deal to good to Pass up!?

I found a dealer that is offering me their 2003 999s Demo Bike with 300 miles. Only catch is it’s been dropped (in the grass while at a track day). I can get it for used 749s money.
1. Should I get it for the Ohlins alone?
2. Do you think the added power will deter my progress on the track?
3. Eventually I will want the 999's power, right? Bore kit was an option for the future.
4. I am a little skeptical about buying first year models? Anything that I should be weary about on the 03s?

I would be selling my '05 749s as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts