Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys are there are better years of a 749 to have. What makes the 03-04 better than the 05-06 and what makes them worse any problems one year had over the other. Just asking cause looking to get another one and want to see if what year i get will matter

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
That's a broad question because there are diffrences between not just the years but between the base, dark, S and R. The early darks had better suspension than the later darks, but all the later bikes had the R type box swingarm which is a plus. The Later bikes also had a taller wider fairing and lost the upper air slots. The early S model bikes had the same engine as the base model, the later ones had more power but also had the interference valve retention system which means taking off the heads to change closer shims. the 04 R I think is the best of them all with the CF fairings, box swingarm and a great engine but still you have to pull the head to change closer shims. All the base and darks have the standard retention system so that's good for the DYI types. The early bikes, at least the 03's, didn't have the push once to start feature. You had to hold down the starter button till the bike started, the later bikes you press the button once and the bike would start itself. These are just some of the differences off the top of my head.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a broad question because there are diffrences between not just the years but between the base, dark, S and R. The early darks had better suspension than the later darks, but all the later bikes had the R type box swingarm which is a plus. The Later bikes also had a taller wider fairing and lost the upper air slots. The early S model bikes had the same engine as the base model, the later ones had more power but also had the interference valve retention system which means taking off the heads to change closer shims. the 04 R I think is the best of them all with the CF fairings, box swingarm and a great engine but still you have to pull the head to change closer shims. All the base and darks have the standard retention system so that's good for the DYI types. The early bikes, at least the 03's, didn't have the push once to start feature. You had to hold down the starter button till the bike started, the later bikes you press the button once and the bike would start itself. These are just some of the differences off the top of my head.
ok well than lets put it this way i am looking at a 2004 dark with 1k miles on it but the dealer is telling me to stay away form an 04 and only get 05-06 because the earlier models had tons of probelms with crank case vent and he rattled off tons of problems. i dont know if he was just trying to sucker me in becuase he had a 2006 he was trying to sell me so want to get a heads up from you guys

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sounds like a bunch of dealer babble to me! That bike you are looking at would be very solid and with 1k how could you go wrong!

All duc's rattle, its part of the 'package'. ha ha ha :D

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
BS, I have a base 03 with 33K miles. Only real problem I've ever had was a broken wire in the fuel module that required replacement of the module. Other than that only routine and normal wear items. 04 dark would be a very nice bike.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Buy it.

Go on and get the Dark.
And im not saying that because I have one. I have no regrets about getting it. Even when I pay my tab at the bike shop.

Goodluck on your purchase.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 05/06 were better... so your dealer isn't full of shit. They resolved a lot of problems on those bikes. I'm not sure if the crankcase breather was one of them, but a lot of small updates were made.

Ohh and the 749D was notorious for going through valve guides like water, so I'd stay way from that as well.
what was the differnce in valve guides from the dark to the regular. also what are other differences from the 749d to 749

·
Registered
227 Posts
What I was told by the Duc shop in richmond is that the Dark comes with the Monster Front-end, theres no adjustable steering head, no steering dampener mount on the frame. and no rearset adjustment on the frame. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.

Im not sure about the valves. It was still $570 to check and shim them. I don't know how much it cost/difference for a 749s?

·
Registered
560 Posts
On my 749s you have to remove the heads to service the valve clearances.

IMHO the 05-06 looks better too. I like the looks of the faring from the front alot better and the red bikes with the red frame looks good to me too. Also, the gullwing swingarm vs the newer non cast unit--newer unit is lighter and stronger I believe, also like the looks of it. The cast unit is also uneven so putting it on a spool stand is a bitch

However the earlier s's had ohlins (not so on my 06 749s)

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
theres poor info being given here...no 749 exepct the ''r'' model has ohilns.engines are also near identical throughout the model run.(ie crankcase breathing etc)valve guides are a non-superbike issue,although i'm shure you can find somebody with issues. fwiw my 03 749 has been problem free until i swaped a bigger motor in at 35,000.it will sit on my workbench till its needed .and will likely serve me well again.

·
Registered
311 Posts
What I was told by the Duc shop in richmond is that the Dark comes with the Monster Front-end, theres no adjustable steering head, no steering dampener mount on the frame. and no rearset adjustment on the frame. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.
It has yet to be proven that a 749 biposto (aka base model) has an adjustable head. I've been told both versions, I have yet to get the free time needed to take mine apart and look. I'm not aware of any fork differences between D and base model.

I do know that the 749 base model also does NOT have adjustable rearsets. i just looked at them. There is a steering damper.

The 749 base model also has a hole in the lower triple to accept a front stand, which is nice. I think it's the only one in the xx9 lineup that has one.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
It has yet to be proven that a 749 biposto (aka base model) has an adjustable head. I've been told both versions, I have yet to get the free time needed to take mine apart and look. I'm not aware of any fork differences between D and base model.

I do know that the 749 base model also does NOT have adjustable rearsets. i just looked at them. There is a steering damper.

The 749 base model also has a hole in the lower triple to accept a front stand, which is nice. I think it's the only one in the xx9 lineup that has one.
The dark and base have fixed (non-adjustable) headstock at 24.5 degree rake. The dark and base share chassis components except the forks, and lack of steering damper post on the dark... Dark also had non adjustable rear ride-height rod; same Sachs shock as the base

·
Registered
227 Posts
Dark also had non adjustable rear ride-height rod;
Maybe on the the first year of the Dark, but my 06 came with adjustable dog-bone/ ride height rod.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The dark and base have fixed (non-adjustable) headstock at 24.5 degree rake.
I'll assume you looked, since you have an 05 749 mono. but my workshop manual says this:

"Changing the steering head angle - 749/749S"

anyway, this thread is funny...

why did ducati decide to do so many different crazy things with different models? shocks/forks i can understand, but why the ride height/no ride height, adjustable headstock/non adj....

confusing..

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just to add to the confusion, my 04 Dark came the same forks as the base model with the compression and rebound in both legs, I think the 05 and 06 went to the compression in one leg, and rebound in the other. The engine is the same as the base 749 so if the dark engines have an issue so would the base model, but mine has over 22,000 miles, many of them track miles with zero problems. Mine also came with the adjustable ride height suspension push rod. Basically mine is a base 749 without the steer damper. You can check out previous superbike models on Ducati's website and see what the specs are for the bikes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts