Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

We are working on installing a lowering link on my friend's 749. We have the link out, but we are having problems removing the turnbuckles at the ends, Can anyone shed some light on how to do this before we strip them trying.

I will send the first right answer $5 to their paypal account.

Cory

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Chances are, the hein joints on the ends have corroded to the point that they are effectively cold welded to the ride height rod. Try applying some heat to the rod where the joint threads are. If you are lucky, they will come out.... remember, the end with the "lines" cut into the nut is reversed (left-hand) thread.

If that doesnt work, you'll have to torch the aluminum rod off. Wrap a water-soaked rag around the heim joints to prevent the heat from damaging the bronze spherical bushing. The aluminum will burn off relatively easily without harming the threads, tho ou'll probably have to clean up some aluminum spall from the threads

·
Registered
560 Posts
One is a left hand thread, the other is a right hand thread.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Were did you get a lowering link?

Is it just a short ride height rod?

How much does it lower the ride height?

·
Registered
62 Posts
whats the correct name of the round piece on either end of the link?
is it really "turnbuckle"?

by chance anyone know where I can order a pair?
thanks

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
whats the correct name of the round piece on either end of the link?
is it really "turnbuckle"?

by chance anyone know where I can order a pair?
thanks
"Heim joint" or spherical bearing, Ducati list's it as "ball joint"

I don't have the exact dimensions on hand, but I think Desmo Times or California Cycleworks has replacements. IIRC, OEM via Ducati cost around $50/ea.

·
Registered
62 Posts
"Heim joint" or spherical bearing, Ducati list's it as "ball joint"

I don't have the exact dimensions on hand, but I think Desmo Times or California Cycleworks has replacements. IIRC, OEM via Ducati cost around $50/ea.
Thanks Bella :)

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Be careful lowering the ride height by shortening the rod past stock length.

The shock-side of the rocker will eventually make contact with the frame cross-member above it, on rebound. You don't want the suspension beating that frame member to death, or damaging the rocker.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As some of the posts mentioned, it is a left hand and right hand threads on the rod. I found that bike was putting too much pressure on the threads and not allowed the rod to move freely. Basically, i lifted the end of the bike off the suspension and had no problem removing the Rod.
By the way, i machined about 3/4" off the stock rod and got another 2.5" or so lower (which was way too low).

·
Registered
62 Posts
As some of the posts mentioned, it is a left hand and right hand threads on the rod. I found that bike was putting too much pressure on the threads and not allowed the rod to move freely. Basically, i lifted the end of the bike off the suspension and had no problem removing the Rod.
By the way, i machined about 3/4" off the stock rod and got another 2.5" or so lower (which was way too low).

hmmm, I was gonna order the lowering rod from Eastern cycle, but then would probably need to order some new rod ends (eye bolts/ spherical bearings/ "whatever you wanna call them) as mine are most likely fused (bike is already 7 years old; being a 2003)
Now I'm thinking of just picking up a used stock piece and having a machine shop take off .30" and drilling/tapping the end and reinstalling one of eye-bolts

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
It's cheaper to get one off of ebay..... just confirm that the heim joint threads are OK.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Just a though,
couldn't you have backed out the threaded eye bolts like 1/8" on either side to make up for the overly shortened length?

Someone mentioned the 996 rod is the same, except it's .75" shorter then the stock 749 piece (so it would have been the same as your custom one)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts