Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I just recently cored my exhaust & also removed Cat from front cylinder pipe (both Cats gone) . Now , I will say that the bike sounds amazing , which I am very happy witH and have also found that I am no longer cooking my nuts every time I stop at a light. I have a PC III already installed on the bike and as far as I can tell an after market K&N type air filter with stock ECU.

When we dynoed it there was a huge flat spot in the mid range so we downloaded from Dynojets website and installed the following map (715-002 New *Advanced map* Remus slip-on exhaust Stock air filters) as a base map to start with which should have made things better, however , after riding the bike I find that around the 4500 - 5000 Rpm range with the throttle at a constant position the bike lurches constantly. When I called the Dyno Guy he said that it is still too lean at that Rpm range.

Now Here is where it gets interesting !! After remapping it I got 100kms (60 miles) till my fuel light came on , That is I think approximately half of what it used to get!!! THats CRAZY!!!

My Buddy on his 848 with Leo Vince pipes gets what I used to get (200kms or 120 miles) .

How does your bike do with aftermarket pipes or Cored pipes? Curious!! Any Ideas?

Thank You

·
Registered
225 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is how wildly unreliable and inconsistent the fuel light is- I've had mine come on with ~2 gallons in the tank! I'd by focused on actual fuel consumption ie gas mileage. Also, without actually taking an a/f reading, it's pretty tough to say whether a motor is running lean or rich (unless it's on the extreme end of either spectrum). I'd say take it in and get it fully tuned, maybe by a shop that knows better than to try and tune via phone :eek:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi
I have a cored and de-cat system on my 999, any chance you can put a sound clip up so i can compare to mine..

Regards to fuel light mine came on after only 58 miles (mainly first gear around town) i have remapped the ECU now with a DP 999 map with slip ons, so i will have to see how the fuel goes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys , Thanks for your insight!

I think that it is definitely running rich as I can smell fuel although my guy is telling that it is probably lean by the way that I have described to him that it is running, the bike is going back up on the dyno today and hopefully it can be fixed as I am heading out on a 6 day trip on it tomorrow and there is no way that I can go away for that period of time with having to fuel up every 60 miles.

Having said that I find it hard to believe that my mileage would drop in half by coring and decatting, thats insane, although I love the way it sounds now and the fact that it is cooler in the saddle I think that I'd be tempted to go back to stock if this is the outcome. My buddy with an 848 , Leo Vince full system is still getting 120 miles at least between fills, his mileage didnt drop to half, why would mine?

I will try to post a sound clip as it does sound amazing , however it will be after i get back from my trip , if I even go?!?!

·
Registered
237 Posts
After I put a new exhaust on mine without any mapping I noticed some surges and other little problems. I figured it just need to be properly dyno tuned. I asked around and from what I understand the Microtec ECU gives you more control and in the hands of a capable tuner can get better results.

So that is where I am at right now. Should have my bike back in 10 days or so and am anxious to see how the fuel mileage is. Although she will have a little bit bigger bore when I get her back I still think my fuel mileage will go up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I was having a similar fuel problem on my 999 after I installed a PC3 with a downloaded map from their website, it was really rich. I got it tuned and it made a difference. you can see a big drop @ 50, he fixed some of the drop but he could not get a liner map, he said probably it was the exaust
(leo w/assymetrical pipes)

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back to normal

So, the bike went back on the dyno and got tuned properly and it appears that my fuel mileage appears to be back to normal, I rode the bike all day yesterday as I have just left on a 6day trip and at 160kms (100 miles) the fuel light still had not come on and took 8.66 liters or 2.28 gallons of fuel . Pretty good i would say.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts