Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, new 749 owner here. i've done a bit of research on the forum here, and exhaust options have been discussed at fair legnth. i've come to the conclusion i'll be coring my exhaust or preferrably having a pro do it. i did a lot of my own work on my previous monsters, but with this project i want it done right and have good sound without months of frustration. i have been in contact with mj's performance, but are there other places/members that may do this kind of work? or perhaps someone has one for sale that's already done...i'm open to any option that saves me money over shelling out the dough for termis (though its very tempting). anyone looking to go back to stock and is willing for to do a partial trade + cash? lemme know. oh, and i'll need a powercommander or equivalent too.:eek:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I did mine about 2 months ago. I'm A machinist. We do aircraft parts. My co-worker works in the weld shop. He did all the weld work. Bad Ass welder. Can weld mig, tig, etc etc. Alll the precious metals. I was looking for a little bit more sound and didnt care if i lost a little horsepower in the process. After it was all said and done, I would say that I dont think I lost any horsepower and dont know if I gained any horsepower. But if I had to guess, I would say more power. But that may be because it sounds more lively. More so than stock. It was not very fun gutting it out. I fortunetely had access to a plasma, But even at that ,it was a pain in the ARSE! He may be inclined to do it again, If its worth the time/money. I can post the final weld, cut, paint and sound it interested.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I Say Termignoni.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I 2nd that! i got a full racing exhuast by Termignoni, and it sounds awsome. Loud enough to get everyone's attention. In my area theres alot of jap bikes, and choppers, but when i have my bike out it sounds like no other! so go with that and you wont be sorry!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i really cant justify the thousands for a termi, although id like to. i just cant do it. maybe one thousand, but jeez, 2 or more!!! ouch. im not wealthy. jdp, i'd be interested in how yours turned out...and possibly how much it would cost me if your buddy was interested in doing it. i'm not even concerned about big power gain, i would hope for some, but as long as the exhaust flows nicely, i'll tune my bike to it and take what i get. i mainly want some of that sound...i'm having withdrawls as im a prior monster owner...and that thing was desmo racket! i know the testas are a little quieter but i want to hear more than just wind when i ride :D , the breadbox exhaust looks cool but its silent!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Get the slip on. Full system will hurt your mid range. And if you get pulled by the law for it you can always put the old can back on.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Get the slip on. Full system will hurt your mid range. And if you get pulled by the law for it you can always put the old can back on.
Not entirely true. A good fit for the 749(basic) is the Termi 50mm full system. Would be a nice increase across the rev range and no loss anywhere. A PCIII and cam timing would only enhance the curve.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but i cant afford the termi. im mainly trying to research other, cheaper options.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Go LeoVinci. By far the other kick ass alternative, and my personal choice at half the price.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Remus

Why not try a Remus half system....you'll get more than enough sound and it wont break the bank !!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i've had remus on other ducatis, they are nice, but im not sure i like the look of dual cans on a xx9 series bike. i prefer the box for these...that being said, leovince is nice, but i havent found it to be much cheaper from what research ive done. hmm. i guess im in no real hurry to get anything till springtime when i can ride again, so hopefully a good deal will pop up somewhere, otherwise im doin the pita coring. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Zard

I think the Zard systems are a little cheaper aren't they ? and they still kind of have that " breadbox " look !

·
Registered
545 Posts
Sound

had a good friend with the full Zard on his 749...sounded very cool, not crazy loud like my Remus...but a nice deep sound a heck of alot better than the stocker...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just my $.02 but I went with the MJS performance cored stock pipes. He's local for me and Mike does a really good job. I just had my stock ECU get shot by a leaky coolant hose and upgraded to a nemesis ECU and that along with the MJS cored pipes has got my base model 749 at 101hp and 57 ft-lb torque on the dyno. Sounds great as well. I had my bike in for a whole bunch of work at Boulder Motorsports, including the dyno and they told me that whatever MJS is doing with their exhaust seems to work really well with an aftermarket ECU. At under $500 for the exhaust, kind of hard to rationalize a $3000 termi system unless you're tracking it or just have the extra cash to throw around...

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 749 is fitted with G&G slip on

A slip on is a great way to make your bike rev-happy, without paying a full price for a full system.
The set was bought on E-Bay at ~400GBP, in mint condition with the LED & blinkers as part of the package.
It took me approx. an hour to remove the old "bread box" and put on the G&G set, taking my time (and taking some photos in between).
I put both cans on the scale: the G&G weights 4.5KG, and the original cans stops the scale at a respectable 8.8KG.
A PCIII was fitted as well to complete the setup.
Right now, the slip on is fitted with dB killers that can be removed at will (easy job for the humble handyman), but the sound is fine as is - no need to wake up the neighbours.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
i've had remus on other ducatis, they are nice, but im not sure i like the look of dual cans on a xx9 series bike. i prefer the box for these...that being said, leovince is nice, but i havent found it to be much cheaper from what research ive done. hmm. i guess im in no real hurry to get anything till springtime when i can ride again, so hopefully a good deal will pop up somewhere, otherwise im doin the pita coring. :rolleyes:
Here are a couple of pics. I dont know how to send a sound clip. The exhaust was copied from a member off this website, 3 inches from the inlet we put a plate. behind that it has about six inches of drilled holes on both sides then wrapped with stainless steel followed by fiberglass we had a work for extra packing.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks everyone for all the inputs! zard is nice, so are the lv and termis. all a little over my price range. i really like the idea of mj's, but they have increased their prices recently quite a bit. still a much better deal from what i gather. LEDUKE...now, i like THAT! normally i dont like the 2 pipes on these bikes, but that looks slick...where can i get those! jdp, pm sent.:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts