Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all, let me get right to the issue:

2005 749 Dark

When cruising along in 3rd or 4th gear and it becomes time to slow down at a stoplight, if I completely pull in the clutch and let off the throttle simultaneously, then downshift, the engine dies. Oil light illuminates immediately and the RPM gauge just falls slowly to 0.
Then I get to restart the engine which can get a little tricky at night when the low-beam goes off.
The trick here is that I leave just a -tiny- bit of throttle dialed in when pulling in the clutch and downshifting. Even with just a small amount of throttle It doesn't die. Another way is to pull clutch, release throttle, downshift and then -quickly- rev the engine just a bit (just a little vroom) to keep the needle from falling.

Any suggestions here? Very annoying problem - its a bit of a memory game right now to make sure I play the throttle game every time I slow down.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Normally when you downshift you should blip the throttle, otherwise your gearbox won't be happy.

However, if I'm on a road with stoplights, generally I'm in first, not 3rd or 4th.

Tom

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
When restarting, try pulling the cold start lever a bit before pushing the start button. I experience the occasional stall as well when coming to a stop (999).

I find that my idle speed is determined by engine operating temperature. At 167 degrees (my typical cruising temp) the idle will show below 1k when I come to a stop. At 195 (puttering through town) the idle will indicate a bit over 1k. (Tachs are typically very inaccurate at the bottom of the range but this gives me a relative idea).

When I go in for my 12k service I am going to have them adjust the idle up a bit so that the idle is correct for the cooler temps, as well as check CO, etc.. This should solve the issue for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts