Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
2004 749.
Laid up for 6 month with flat battery.
Charged battery.
Connect battery
Blows 40Amp Fuse. Cooling fans on constantly and indicators on constantly.

Battery polarity correct.
No power going to the guages/clocks.

Tried a few different things and on about fuse number 6 now.

Any idea?
Does it sound like the regulator or something else?

thanks
John

·
Registered
315 Posts
The rectifrier is known to go on these, but that is usually something you'd see happen form over heating, which I can't imagine you have any issues with in the UK. Check all the terminals and grounds first. Even if they look fine, clean them. Most importantly, both grounds. The one on the engine case (a bitch to get to) and the ecu one.

Were you ever having any issues before this?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Could it be possibly be exposed wiring, little critters eating away and having a light snack?

I would probably do the easiest and cheapest thing first, it might take some time but just check all your wiring and trace it through the system going from the battery onwards and from the ecu onwards. Check all your fuses and verify that none are blown.

You should try to pick up the bikes manual and go the back of the book where all the electrical diagrams are and see if you can troubleshoot it that way.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi mate
Nothing to do with the regulator, i would pull out the battery box and check all the wiring, i will be very surprised if you don't find a stripped wire or 2 in there, mine was a right mess and it still run ok.

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
Some Moth Balls keep the mice away, when storing for extended periods of time...Get a Cat ,and don't over feed it...
Good luck..

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Some Moth Balls keep the mice away, when storing for extended periods of time...Get a Cat ,and don't over feed it...
Good luck..
Why feed the cat at all? Then, you'll be sure..................:D

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
Why feed the cat at all? Then, you'll be sure..................:D
you want the cat to stick around so a little free food keeps them close to home...
Shrimp lobster tail Prime rib ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts