Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just changed the belts on my 749 after reading thru the forums and watching every video I could find. After replacing them and buttoning everything back up except the fairings I did one last bit of research and found that CA Cycleworks is now recommending 99hz instead of the 110 hz in the videos. Bummer. So after thinking about it, I decided to recheck them as I set the belts at about 112-114hz. I had run the motor for a few minutes to make sure nothing was gonna blow. I didn't see why I had to take the tank back off, so I tried to remove the timing covers as the bike sat. I was able to get them off and checked the tension (after running they both checked at 102hz--very interesting). I could get the bike to TDC by turning the rear wheel with the bike in 6th--even with the plugs in. So why do all the work if it does not seem like you really need to? Or do the stock timing covers fit differently than the aftermarket carbon fiber ones on my bike? What am I missing?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It's just to pull plugs and use crank turning tool, of course you can take shortcuts when available.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
i remove the tank to remove the spark plugs (which you can do with the tank in place, but requires all the fasteners to come out anyway so why not make it easy for yourself). the vertical belt cover comes off easiest with the tank off, as you move it back and toward the centre of the bike. but we used to do it with the tank lifted (2 people) as we did tension checks at pdi and first service, and time was a thing there.

as ricko says, then you can turn the engine over. i turn the engine over many, many times during belt fitment and adjustment. i believe that way you get much less variation in tension when the covers come off again 10,000km later.

as for the tension thing, the difference between 99 and 110 is very minor in adjustment terms. if you use 100 - 110 as a range and check the engine over 10 or so cycle rotations you'll see variation of 10hz or so. i use 110 for all 4v, and i am the australian distributor for california cycleworks products, having sold about 6,000 pairs of belts over the last 10 years.

this is my 749 - 999 belt replacement video for how i like to do it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information, I watched your video several times before I did the belt change. I was too afraid not to mark the belts (like the CA Cycleworks video does), but I did use your technique of spinning the motor around and rechecking the belts--that made a lot of sense to me to get a more consistent reading.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No idea, but err on the slack side of tension rather than tighter.
After finding that my bike was running quite happily with 70hz of belt tension, I totally agree with you. I'd rather miss low than have the belts too tight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts