Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some know I picked up a 749 out of a barn last month without keys, well I was able to get dash/ECU programmed and new keys to include the red one made, got everything installed last night. I have not tried starting bike yet, but it does power up and crank over, however starter relay sticks, but kill switch stops cranking. Next headlights do not work, tail light and brake lights work, fuses are good, both bulbs check good with a multi meter and relay inside headlight bucket clicks when key is turned on, highbeam indicator on dash stays on regardless of position on handle bar switch, passing switch does not work nor does front running light. No turn signals work either, i've checked all connections a few times, no corrosion bent pins etc. .. what am I missing I hear a relay clicking in battery box, believe it's the fuel pump, as that does work...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok... I now have a running light, it was the bulb, I tested power to and from relay, I get power to the left hand switch with key on, I hotwired lower light it works... is this something stupid like lights only come on with engine running..... lost

·
Registered
553 Posts
When you turn the key on the light should come on. I'd get the bike running first and see what happens after that. I know the headlight will shut off if the bikes key is left on too long...cant remember exactly how it happens. Maybe after a failed start attempt?? There isn't much to the system. Bulbs wires and relays...

The high beam indicator light should not be stuck on. Open up the handlebar switch to see if there is any corrosion inside??

·
Registered
501 Posts
The ecu cranks the bike for 6 seconds with a single key press, I think the starter solenoid is fine. Do you hear the fuel pump whir to life each time you cycle the key on? As for the lighting don't start that until ten bike runs. If the ecu and dash don't agree you could be into he thousands to have it straightened out if your not crafty.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well tried to start bike...she cranks over, fuel pump works, injectors fire fuel but I have no spark....I tried disconnecting power to ecu to let it reset, nothing, all fuses good. So now a forum search tells me when I power up bike with the key left fan should run for a second then cut out... this one doesn't, *only did it the first time i powered up bike, most forum posts go omg at this point...lol guess that means ecu issues?! I just sent dash ecu and ignition off to be reset as bike had no keys when I bought it, snice I don't know if bike ran before this I have no idea if they may have messed anything up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts